advertisement

Saturday Night in San Francisco

AndyU

pfm Member
Just to say if Friday Night in San Francisco is part of your musical life, then the next nights concert with John McGlaughlin, Paco di Lucia and Al di Meola has been released. ,I think Al Di Meola found the tapes somewhere. It’s on Qobuz, vinyl, and cd, and is a real joy to listen to. These guys were and are incredible musicians.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09T39NL45/?tag=pinkfishmedia-

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
No question they are all incredible musicians, but I’ve never warmed to the album. It seems to me to be guitar-playing as gladiatorial combat, with the participants pushed on by the insane whooping from the audience after every twiddly bit.

(Writes a grumpy old bore.)

For 40 years, nobody knew that the recording of the Saturday show existed until now!
Combing through hours of the original 16-track live session tapes, Al Di Meola and his team have curated a breathtaking follow-up: Saturday Night In San Francisco.

No question they are all incredible musicians, but I’ve never warmed to the album. It seems to me to be guitar-playing as gladiatorial combat, with the participants pushed on by the insane whooping from the audience after every twiddly bit.

A perfect analysis of that album. It is awful noodly nonsense.

(Writes a grumpy old bore.)
I must be a grumpy old bore too. Over-indulgent and tedious.

advertisement

Back