advertisement

Sara 9 Tweeters - what are they?

gilkinted

Banned
Late Sara 9 tweeters can, I understand, still be replaced to spec by using the current Hiquophon dome tweeter. Anyone know which type Linn used between the D20-LP-1 or D20-LP-2?

A long shot but boy would this info help!

Allan

The faceplates look quite different, so if you have Sara 9's, it would be easy to tell.

the sara 9 has exactly the same tweeter as the sara

the same hyqaphon as the isobarik.

its a great tweeter!

very early saras have scanspeak tweeters (again same as barik)

the difference with the sara 9 is the crossover , and a big difference it is!

Interesting, as the 9 was around at the same time as the Nexus, which uses the LP-2.

The LP-2 is +3 dB, so the two are not directly interchangeable.

dingdongm has got it spot on.
After linn stopped using scanspeak, hiquphon supplied them the tweeters and they were badged as Linn.
The ow1-92 is available from hiquphon - it is a drop in replacement for the original Linn-badged items. The 92 relates to 92mm diameter machined to fit linn cabinets.
Very easy company to deal with and buy from, despite being in Denmark.

Yes, the OW1 is a superb tweeter, but will cost you about the same as the speakers!

With older Sara's, upgrading the crossover caps is also very effective, though a hell of a lot more work.

Much easier on the 9's, but they should have better caps in them already.

I think I'm right in saying that to get the right size face plate (92mm) for the Saras you have to order from hiquphon directly. At least that was the case the last time I tried to do this a few years ago.

Just a P.S.

The original Nexus used D-20-LP-1 Hiquphon tweeters with a 4th order crossover. (developed around the time of Aktiv and the SARA 9)
The later re-work of the Nexus saw the D-20-LP-2 being used with a very different crossover - this was in response to some criticism of the Nexus.

Regards
Peter

advertisement

Back