advertisement

Santana,

The original fat-case CD is anything but, it sounds great. I played it again last week as a result of this thread and really enjoyed it. I think if I had to pick a single Santana album this would be it. Disappointing the vinyl isn’t great. What pressing do you have? It was originally only released in Japan.
My pressing is cbs 1975- is that the right info.?

I like pretty much everything he's done, especially Blues for Salvador, which I don't think has been mentioned yet. The man takes chances.

Here he is injecting new life into a somewhat questionable Ottmar Liebert "nouveau flamenco" version of his classic "Samba Pa Ti". His solos here should be played as loud as possible. Just soaring, lyrical perfection.

To Tony’s entirely correct advice I would add Carlos’ McLaughlin collaboration “Love Devotion Surrender”.

and the 'Live at Montreaux 2011' album from Carlos & John McLaughlin is pretty special too.

'Song of the Wind' on Caravanserai is my favourite track of all - a great guitar solo, and interplay with the band. I saw Santana play live a set which contained most of the 'Caravanserai' album at 'Wembley Empire Pool' cf.Arena in about '73 - superb.

i have this ,Whit label , version of Silver dreams -Golden reality,

is it worth anything, ?? and for you wise men, it has CBS.S86037.A.1
on the run out

That was his Sri Chimnoy phase... I guess everyone gets taken in by others in a life time.

Silver dreams and golden smiles is great track, the rest is so so.

What you have there I would guess is very rare, so quite valuable.... If you do decide to sell, ask a high price to start with, say £100. I'm no collector so take my advice with a bit of Chimnoy.

The original fat-case CD is anything but, it sounds great. I played it again last week as a result of this thread and really enjoyed it. I think if I had to pick a single Santana album this would be it. Disappointing the vinyl isn’t great. What pressing do you have? It was originally only released in Japan.
I'll be playing my copy right through tonight to record onto reel to reel...its 66325A $81 047A on the pressing

I love most of their output.

One of my favourites is the album 'Welcome'. Don't think it's been mentioned yet.:eek:

Loved the first 4 albums.
Saw him live twice and disappointed twice: gone into a funk stage and auditoriums were too large (can't remember where). Probably too late in the '80s.

Tracks come up on Paradise World regularly. They are like old friends visiting unexpectedly. Caravanserai is my favourite album. Steve Hillage was just a poor copy….

advertisement

Back