advertisement

Santana,

He/they have been favourites since first hearing Jingo, back in the 70s, and saw them at Leicester De Montfort Hall. I have most of the albums, and can recommend The Power of Peace, Santana and The Isley Brothers. Not too keen on the collaboration albums, though.
MOFI Abraxas was worth the punt.
My GoTo track is Aqua Marine, from Marathon LP.

Must haves:
Santana (first album)
Abraxas
Santana III
Caravanserai (must rank in the pantheon of "greatest rock albums")
Moonflower
Borboletta (if only for the medley on side 2)

and odd tracks - mainly the instrumentals (eg Europa, Aquamarine etc) from other albums.

I also liked the more recent Supernatural, Shaman, & Santana IV.

Avoid his "eastern mysticism" period.

Must haves:
Santana (first album)
Abraxas
Santana III
Caravanserai (must rank in the pantheon of "greatest rock albums")
Moonflower
Borboletta (if only for the medley on side 2)

and odd tracks - mainly the instrumentals (eg Europa, Aquamarine etc) from other albums.

I also liked the more recent Supernatural, Shaman, & Santana IV.

Avoid his "eastern mysticism" period.

I'd go along with that, but drop borboletta for Lotus. They're all cheap on original vinyl, too.

Ripping my Caravanserai yesterday, what was Carlos thinking with long quiet ambient intro track on vinyl. My copy is very noisy

Santana has an album out called Splendiforous Santana, wasn't very impressed I'm afraid, plenty of cool solos if that's your thing.

Love a load of these suggestions, but in the way of having extra affection for the first album you heard from an artist, I still have a peculiar fondness for “Zebop”, which I daresay most don’t rate…

Love a load of these suggestions, but in the way of having extra affection for the first album you heard from an artist, I still have a peculiar fondness for “Zebop”, which I daresay most don’t rate…

Alex Ligertwood on vox is certainly a plus, but not a bad album on the whole if not his most inspired.

I've got almost all of his/their music and am a big fan. My favourite is obviously Inner Secrets... To my mind it captures the late 70s and does not have even a slightly bad track on it (a rare feat for any artist), every track is sublimely played by every band member and Greg Walkers' singing is perfect...its very well produced and recorded too It was one of the first albums I ever bought (s/h condition 'A' from Beggars Banquet in Ealing Broadway, for about 2 quid, worn out on my Goldring Lenco). The cover art for me captures the fun the band must of had creating that album and it cheers me up to see it and brings much dear nostalgia.

I used to see them on almost every UK tour in smaller venues which I much prefer due to the greater intimacy and then Shaman was released to huge success and Santana were propelled into the top league and only played the huge venues such as Wembley Arena and the like, so I stopped going. I was really pleased of the success they had at the time. I was a member of the fan club then that issued beautifully produced colourful fan letters and his Milagro Foundation did great work helping under-privaliged children around the world.

Santana used to live in San Fransciso and in the late 80's I visited there and there was a huge Virgin Mega Music store there, but they had NO Santana and when I asked the asisstants why not and pointed out that he lived somewhere close by on the bay, they had no idea who I was talking about.

Different band, but a similar story also comes to mind, while on a whale watching trip in Boston, the host with the microphone started telling us about the Nantuucket Island and the historical whaling from the island and when I asked if she had ever heard of the Mountain track Nantucket Sleighride, she thought I was off the planet, she had no idea what I was talking about and probably mad.

Last edited:
Totally agree with Tony, Caravanserai is a must. The first 5 or 6 albums are all superb. I also saw them several times in the early 70s. First time 1971 IIRC Birmingham Odeon, stunning band, last was the 1987 or 8 London Jazz Festival with Wayne Shorter....awesome.
Don't bother with Africa Speaks ....definitely an acquired taste...not mine.
I was at the Jazz Festival show too at the Royal Festival Hall....small world. It was aired live on the radio I think and on the drive home Capital Radio said for those going home from the Santana show, here's She's Not There and we sang along and played 'air guitar' in the car, it was a memorable night.

Last edited:
I love the first few albums, with Carlos as a band member rather than leader. The early live albums are well worth it-I’ve got them on qobuz- Fillmore 68 and Tanglewood 70. I saw him in Glasgow 72.
Funnily enough it wasn’t the guitar that first drew me to the band, but the rhythm section and David Brown on bass. Those live albums really showcase how powerful and exhilarating they could be.
I truly love Caravaserai, but it’s a different set up.
Am I the only one that finds Lotus ( on vinyl) a rather sterile recording ? ( despite some great material.)

Am I the only one that finds Lotus ( on vinyl) a rather sterile recording ? ( despite some great material.)

The original fat-case CD is anything but, it sounds great. I played it again last week as a result of this thread and really enjoyed it. I think if I had to pick a single Santana album this would be it. Disappointing the vinyl isn’t great. What pressing do you have? It was originally only released in Japan.

I listen to paradise world a fair bit and Santana figures now and again. Before I realise it I’m thinking: that’s great, reaching for my phone to see what is it, caught me out a couple of times.

With nothing to compare against, admittedly, the Soeakers Corner of “Lotus” didn’t disappoint me sonically. (Or musically, obvs.)

advertisement

Back