advertisement

Santana,

graystoke4

pfm Member
Hi, there was a documentary on Carlos and the boys, channel 11, yup sky arts, pretty good only an hour, and not to many people on saying the same old stuff, so in a fit of nostalgia i jumped on the bay and bought Santana the first album, abraxas, and supernatural, i do have a few cd's already, went upstairs to put some on and found out i already have supernatural,:oops:, now there's 3 quid i won't see again, playing some now, he truly is great, just dug my program out, 1978, Stafford Bingley Hall, went with my mate Chalky, he bought me the ticket, he said if i really wanted to see the best guitar player in the world, i have to see Santana, and boy was he RIGHT, truly amazing, i do remember bingley hall smelling of cow shite, a couple of days before they held a cattle auction or something there, I know some folks say he is a one trick pony, im not one of them, slap some on tonight and see for yourself, it's a long time since I've played some,

Saw him in Oz a few years ago (2000s) and he was good. Support was John Butler and gave him a good run for his money. They played a couple of tracks together which was good fun.
Moonflower was my first LP, and still listen to it often - it's excellent.

Totally agree with Tony, Caravanserai is a must. The first 5 or 6 albums are all superb. I also saw them several times in the early 70s. First time 1971 IIRC Birmingham Odeon, stunning band, last was the 1987 or 8 London Jazz Festival with Wayne Shorter....awesome.
Don't bother with Africa Speaks ....definitely an acquired taste...not mine.

Hi just bought, Caravanseri £2.84 free P&P, off the Bay, weird price i know, Peer pressure , :rolleyes: getting quite a collection,

Caravanserai & Abraxas for me. 1st album was great when it came out, III sort of passed me by, although I'm appreciating it more these days, and then sort of lost interest after Caravanserai. I guess I should check out Lotus & Moonflower :oops:

To Tony’s entirely correct advice I would add Carlos’ McLaughlin collaboration “Love Devotion Surrender”.
This is an awesome record. A friend mentioned this collaboration to me and I thought ' how can that possibly work, two completely different players?' But work it does, just fantastic.
I really need to get a good vinyl copy of the third album...

Another couple of adds,
Shango and Beyond Appearances.
Plus some of the comeback albums have been excellent in a different way.

In my tiny shelve of non-classical/jazz LPs I have Abraxas/caravanseri/ LDS. My natural good taste I guess….

Santana’s managed to stay current in a low key maestro sort of way for fifty years now, I like new and old. Just tends I bought the vinyl as teen in 70s and new material on cd.

advertisement

Back