advertisement

Santana’s Lotus album

Stunsworth

pfm Member
I bought this triple live LP set last week from Discogs and I’m currently listening to the first LP.

I borrowed a copy from the local library when I was in my teens and didn’t get it at all. However listening to it now I’m struck by how much it reminds me of Miles Davis electronic albums such as Bitches Brew and On the Corner. Am I going mad?

There is definitely a bit of 'On the Corner' going on on in "A-1 Funk" and there is a huge jazz influence running through their early albums. There's obvious ones like 'Stone Flower' on 'Caravanserai' but also (to my ears) 'Eternal Caravan of Reincarnation' is very heavily influenced by Pharaoh Sanders 'Astral Travelling'.

'Lotus' is Santana at their most heavy, mystical and funky and it's a real shame it was a Japan-only release and we had to do with the slightly inferior live tracks on 'Moonflower' until it got a UK release quite a few years later. They did the same with Weather Report's 'Live on Tokyo' too.

Lotus is excellent IMO. They jumped the shark shortly after to my mind, but I do like the albums up to this point.

I’ve had Abraxas for decades (mine is a reissue bought new, but there’s no barcode on it). I listened to it for the first time in ages a month or two ago and bought the first album as a consequence. I really didn’t get them when I was younger, but I was pretty much a hard rock listener back in those days.

I’ve only heard the first Lotus LP and side 2 was more of a rock thing, but I’ve enjoyed what I’ve heard so far.

There is definitely a bit of 'On the Corner' going on on in "A-1 Funk" and there is a huge jazz influence running through their early albums. There's obvious ones like 'Stone Flower' on 'Caravanserai' but also (to my ears) 'Eternal Caravan of Reincarnation' is very heavily influenced by Pharaoh Sanders 'Astral Travelling'.

'Lotus' is Santana at their most heavy, mystical and funky and it's a real shame it was a Japan-only release and we had to do with the slightly inferior live tracks on 'Moonflower' until it got a UK release quite a few years later. They did the same with Weather Report's 'Live on Tokyo' too.

Yes, it was A1 Funk that made me think of Miles.

advertisement

Back