advertisement

Sansui XP99 Cartridge

Weeman1973

Big Country Member
Looking to change the cartridge on a Sansui XP99, direct drive TT.

Currently got a modded Denon 103r on there which sounds good however as you can’t adjust the VTA on this table, I think it’s a little deep as can’t get the arm parallel so looking for a change.

Originally supplied with an AT3100S according to the manual which is no longer available so thinking of sticking with the AT lineage, but which?

The headshell is different to the usual ones I’ve seen and was originally an ADC however this one is an AT as pictured below. Can anyone tell me what fitting this so I can look for other headshells to fit to save me swapping out cartridges all the time?

Thanks.

dc1506bf5b6d5e1afb481937fd6f7128.jpg

df9eae97a00b0f76da09788af735c650.jpg

2f6ecbe75999ee9195f93d32c2b61375.jpg

The Denon is too deep because of the alloy block stuck to it. If you mount the Denon 'nude' it will probably by fine. I have pictures here but you can't upload them directly to the site.

These were originally known as ADC LMH-1 (Low Mass Headshell 1) and were introduced with the ALT-1 tonearm, with the design subsequently widely used by many Japanese majors.

A search for 'adc headshell' should return a number of sources for these, some NOS, others aftermarket. You may even find the original Sansui one.

The original audio-technica AT-3100S, is an OEM version of AT-3100XE but with a 0.5mil spherical tip. It is a low output MC (0.4mV) with a 100 Ohm loading requirement. What is really novel about these particular MC cartridges (and the AT25, AT30E, AT30HE, AT31E, and AT3200XE) is that they feature a user-replaceable stylus assembly. If you still have the old AT-3100S, I suspect that ATN-3100XE would fit, and there does appear to be some NOS ones still out there. If you don't have that cartridge, then you won't find a similar value equivalent in the current A-T MC range, although there are likely to be a good number of MM models that would compete, that is, assuming their electrical loading is optimized.

Last edited:
Thanks both.

The Denon is too deep because of the alloy block stuck to it. If you mount the Denon 'nude' it will probably by fine. I have pictures here but you can't upload them directly to the site.

I bought the Denon 'modded' as it were with the alloy weight added so won't have the original plastic housing to mount to the headshell

These were originally known as ADC LMH-1 (Low Mass Headshell 1) and were introduced with the ALT-1 tonearm, with the design subsequently widely used by many Japanese majors.

A search for 'adc headshell' should return a number of sources for these, some NOS, others aftermarket. You may even find the original Sansui one.

The original audio-technica AT-3100S, is an OEM version of AT-3100XE but with a 0.5mil spherical tip. It is a low output MC (0.4mV) with a 100 Ohm loading requirement. What is really novel about these particular MC cartridges (and the AT25, AT30E, AT30HE, AT31E, and AT3200XE) is that they feature a user-replaceable stylus assembly. If you still have the old AT-3100S, I suspect that ATN-3100XE would fit, and there does appear to be some NOS ones still out there. If you don't have that cartridge, then you won't find a similar value equivalent in the current A-T MC range, although there are likely to be a good number of MM models that would compete, that is, assuming their electrical loading is optimized.

Thanks Craig for all the info, really insightful.

Unfortunately I don't have the original cartridge the deck came with in the '80's but as mentioned would like to try a modern day MM AT cartridge.

The VM range is catching my eye due to the relatively low profile - something like the VM530EN looks good value.

Thanks Craig for all the info, really insightful.

Unfortunately I don't have the original cartridge the deck came with in the '80's but as mentioned would like to try a modern day MM AT cartridge.

The VM range is catching my eye due to the relatively low profile - something like the VM530EN looks good value.
You are welcome.

According to my old catalogue, the unloaded height of AT-3100XE is 16.7mm. All of the A-T MMs hover round 17mm unloaded height and should be fine with any ADC style headshell equipped integrated tonearm. Most such decks would have come with an A-T OEM factory installed.

I’ve just fitted a new Goldring Elan I’d forgotten I had and listening now and it isn’t too bad at all. It’s very listenable if not a tiny bit of sibilance on inner most grooves but being honest that might be my set up.

3d9324ef965bec1aa4a461cdfc944712.jpg

I bought the Denon 'modded' as it were with the alloy weight added so won't have the original plastic housing to mount to the headshell.

What I'm saying is that, if you like the Denon sound, you can mount them 'nude'. Without an aftermarket body and without the plastic body. You improve the sound but keep the cartridge height the same as OEM.

I’ve just fitted a new Goldring Elan I’d forgotten I had and listening now and it isn’t too bad at all. It’s very listenable if not a tiny bit of sibilance on inner most grooves but being honest that might be my set up.

3d9324ef965bec1aa4a461cdfc944712.jpg
Are you running the Elan at 2g VTF? This should get the best out of it, however, there'll likely still be a bit of tracing error related sibilance near end of record side. One nice thing about this model, and its elliptically tipped sibling Elektra, is that they are somewhat load tolerant over the range of 150 - 400pF, making them good all rounders with a wide range of MM phono inputs.

If you are concerned about overhang, an easy check is to measure from the back mating face of the headshell to the stylus tip; should be 44mm.

Sansui-XP-99-Overhang.jpg

Last edited:
Are you running the Elan at 2g VTF? This should get the best out of it, however, there'll likely still be a bit of tracing error related sibilance near end of record side. One nice thing about this model, and its elliptically tipped sibling Electra, is that they are somewhat load tolerant over the range of 150 - 400pF, making them good all rounders with a wide range of MM phono inputs.

If you are concerned about overhang, an easy check is to measure from the back mating face of the headshell to the stylus tip; should be 44mm.

Sansui-XP-99-Overhang.jpg

Thanks again Craig.

Yes, I am running at 2.0g VTF and also noticed the overhang mentioned in the manual at 44mm but as mine isn't the original Headshell, there's no way I can get it to that, most I can get is around 38mm (image below):

I think I might add an elliptical stylus to this Elan body and get more or less the Elektra you mention. Found this that should fit for £30:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=281982125157

1f3a56561e791c3cf0fe6ab4ea452691.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks again Craig.

Yes, I am running at 2.0g VTF and also noticed the overhang mentioned in the manual at 44mm but as mine isn't the original Headshell, there's no way I can get it to that, most I can get is around 38mm (image below):

I think I might add an elliptical stylus to this Elan body and get more or less the Elektra you mention. Found this that should fit for £30:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=281982125157

1f3a56561e791c3cf0fe6ab4ea452691.jpg
I'd stick with the original spherical, rather than going aftermarket here. The Goldring part no. for Elektra replacement stylus is D152E, circa £72.00 from UK sources. Then again, AT-VM95E is only £43.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'd stick with the original spherical, rather than going aftermarket here. The Goldring part no. for Elektra replacement stylus is D152E, circa £72.00 from UK sources. Then again, AT-VM95E is only £43.

Was just thinking the same and perhaps go for the Nude Elliptical or even Micro Line AT95.

Whatever you decide by way of cartridge, I'd suggest selling off the AT-CF3 headshell and sourcing one that will give you the full 44mm. Probably best to figure out what measure between the rear flange to front end of nearest slot will return circa 44mm (i.e. measure the AT-CF3 and add 6mm). There was no standard with these, with some turntable maker's distance differing between models. Denon, for example, had deck/arm combos that required 35mm, with others specifying 38mm (likely what A-T were aiming for with this headshell).

So I managed to get a replacement headshell which offers me a little more distance than the AT one did and today I’ve fitted an older Nagaoka MP11 with brand new MP110 stylus just now and it’s sounding pretty good.

Stylus to end of headshell where it joins arm is giving me about 42mm which made set up on the 2 point protractor a lot easier and VTA / Azimuth isn’t too bad either so happy to stick with this for a little while to let the stylus run in and see where we go from there.

5d11c001aafc6fb09af93e9cf6ce4a7f.jpg

dd0c1df172a53ebe48795fc15f27d6a8.jpg

advertisement

Back