advertisement

Sansui Itch needs Scratching

True, a mate's Telefunken TR-616 receiver spun like a top as well. Looked like the bastard offspring of the Sansui pictured previously and a same vintage Pioneer. Surprisingly, made in Japan too.

360131-07d94873-vintage_telefunken_tr616_receiver_for_repair.jpg

Further itch scratching has resulted in the purchase of a sr-212 turntable to go with the au-101

There's an issue however ,the power cords been cut and it's polarity is not obvious is there a way to determine its polarity?

Thanks

Further itch scratching has resulted in the purchase of a sr-212 turntable to go with the au-101

There's an issue however ,the power cords been cut and it's polarity is not obvious is there a way to determine its polarity?

Thanks

Assuming it has a switch - it should switch the live/brown.
The motor will go the right way due to the phase advance cap irrespective of which way the mains is connected.

Assuming it has a switch - it should switch the live/brown.
The motor will go the right way due to the phase advance cap irrespective of which way the mains is connected.
Yes, otherwise there would have been a lot more experimentation with playing records backwards in the two-pronged, none-polarized, plug world of yesteryear.

The Connoisseur BD1 and BD2 were a bit of a crap-shoot, especially so, if one didn't properly use the rubber teat flick switch to launch them into the correct direction.

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

Don't worry, a lot of the of Europe (Spain included) has non-polarized Schuko plugs and receptacles. Hardly any turntables have ever run backwards here. :)

But seriously, how could it be an issue -- it's AC! AFAICT the only reason to worry about L/N being swapped is that some equipment only switches the L/brown wire. Probably not a big concern unless you're poking around inside.

Never thought i'd ever feel the need to dial the bass back!
It's really opened this little amp up and to think it wasn't that long ago that i would turn my nose up at low powered (on paper) amps.

Don't worry, a lot of the of Europe (Spain included) has non-polarized Schuko plugs and receptacles. Hardly any turntables have ever run backwards here. :)

But seriously, how could it be an issue -- it's AC! AFAICT the only reason to worry about L/N being swapped is that some equipment only switches the L/brown wire. Probably not a big concern unless you're poking around inside.
With the Connoisseur BD1/BD2/etc. it isn't so much mains polarity as it is the lack of a phase capacitor. There is a big hint as to why none was fitted within the following picture (hence the rubber teat flick switch pictured in post #50 above).

'Oh, go on then, give us a push!'
post-107033-0-70743700-1464159702_thumb.jpg

Sansui 2000 (not -X or -A). A classic and very comparable to the Kenwood KR5200.

I took your advice and bought one of the above,a very good shout!

I really like the Au-101 i just prefer a Receiver for convenience.I have decided that i will keep an eye out for an Au-505 though.

Thanks

I have just bought a Sansui 881 and am very impressed with the sound. I am using it in a medium sized room for a second system and it is an absolute beast, especially with the audio muting control off. Can’t wait to try it in my main system which is in a much larger room, 8m x 6m with double height ceiling, driving my SF Amati Futuras

I have a 1982 silver Sansui B77 and matching C77 pre. 60W/ch and FR 5Hz-70kHz. Full featured pre has MM/MC phono and headphone socket. No CD input but CDs work fine through Aux input. Amplifier has a lovely incorporated 'spectrum analyser' display.

PM me if of any interest.

advertisement

Back