advertisement

Sansui Itch needs Scratching

retrospective

pfm Member
I'm currently enjoying a trio (Kenwood) kr5200 receiver

I've always fancied a Sansui receiver what would you recommend that would be the equal of the Trio?

Cheers

I would go for an integrated, not receiver, unless you're specifically looking for something with a dial.

But the problem with some old Sansui is they (for several years) used a glue to hold larger caps to PCBs. The glue becomes corrosive over the years, and eats away at component leads. I had a couple of diode and resistor leads break apart while removing components. Rusted through inside the glue lumps!

I've got an AU-717 integrated exploded all over my workspace, getting rebuilt with 150€ of new caps, diodes, thermal paste, etc. It's a beast, built like a tank, beautiful IMO. But getting more and more expensive every year it seems. I wouldn't really trust the ones on eBay that say they've been rebuilt... From doing it myself, I could imagine how many hours it would take to do it right (even by a pro). But it makes for a really fun DIY project, as long as it isn't your first.

Having said that, I've done a lot of leg work building part lists, broken down by board. If you went down this route, I'd share the lists. Or maybe take on the job if you found a nice AU-717 and wanted someone else to do it!

I'm currently enjoying a trio (Kenwood) kr5200 receiver

I've always fancied a Sansui receiver what would you recommend that would be the equal of the Trio?

Cheers

A 551 maybe might be broadly equivalent.

But in truth, Sansui's receivers were always kind of 'out of sync' with their separates. IMO it wasn't until they released the 9090 and 8080 receivers that they had something which even came close to the performance of the classic 'black' amps and tuners.

Personally I'd much prefer an AU/TU 317 amp/tuner combination to a mid-range receiver.

I have a friend with a G 6000 owned from new that he's thinking of selling to replace with something smaller. No idea if that's any good. Always sounds nice to me thru his old Gales from same era.

G Series were slightly later models. I saw the brochures but was never hands-on, but I imagine they're probably decent enough, Sansui were no mugs (at least, not on the design side).

I have a friend with a G 6000 owned from new that he's thinking of selling to replace with something smaller. No idea if that's any good. Always sounds nice to me thru his old Gales from same era.
The 6000 makes decent money these days - £1k+. Something lower down the 'G' range might be equivalent to the Kenwood - a G301, G2000 or 3000?

for receivers: I would look at an Eight, or Eight Deluxe. or maybe an 8080/9090 but they are probably more in demand these days, so $$

for separates: I am a fan of my AU-7700 + TU-7700

an AU-7900 would be nice too though, paired up with a TU-7900
or you could get an AU-6600

the bigger amps like the AU-9900, 11000 etc up are probably prime $$ , but sound similar and bigger power

actually I seem to recall the even smaller AU/TU 3900 got great reviews by a British audio magazine, back in the '70's

Another vote for the Eight. Here’s mine.

Es4qYJx.jpg

As I tend to do when retro large receivers are discussed... here's a recommendation for Tandberg! TR-2055, TR-2075, TR-2080 all superb. They advertised them as "the receiver that proves you don't need a pre amp, power amp and tuner"... words to that effect anyway!

The Japanese receiver power wars did get quite ridiculous. I'll never forget the day I lifted a friends SX-1250 down from atop his large wall unit, nearly tore my rotator cuff for the second time. He'd put it up there for safe keeping when his daughter came along, although, I seriously doubt that she could have damaged it. Looking back, that was 'only' 160wpc (and only 64lbs, though it felt like the other way round), compared to the 330wpc of the Sansui G-33000 and Technics SA-1000. IIRC, Marantz got up to 300wpc with their Model 2600. Having heard a number of these behemoths, IMO, the best sounds came from the lower to mid power models as, along with the power wars, came the low distortion conflict, a catch-22 situation where the sound often got sucked dry via the high negative feedback necessary to achieve 0.1% THD bragging rights.

Last edited:
Rotel made the 500WPC RB-5000 power amp of course. Some of their receivers were badge engineered as Leak for Ranks last attempt at milking the Leak name...

No there isn't! That has nothing whatsoever to do with Leak. Taking any old crap and sticking a Leak badge on it does not make it Leak.

I get that. Reread my post. I said "there is a new attempt...[at milking the Leak name]".

Last edited:

advertisement

Back