advertisement

Sandwich fillings - name your favourite to brighten up a lunchtime

I've just eaten a Haslet sandwich. I haven't eaten Haslet in about 20 years. A little bit of mayo on fresh breadcake, it was lovely

I thought Primula was an Autobianchi from the mid-1960s?

Best sandwich I've ever eaten was a pork po-boy in Louisiana. A crusty baguette, halved, with mayonnaise, shredded roast pork, shredded raw cabbage, tomato, and a generous ladleful of pork gravy. Second best was the prosciutto/tomato/fresh mozzerella hero at Manganaro's Hero Boy on 9th Ave in Manhattan.

I have always found that in America a so-called sandwich was large enough to provide more than a full days worth of calories in its own right. And then they order fries alongside. And still go out for an early dinner. It was a real struggle to keep weight down even on a few short days trip to my American head office.

I have always found that in America a so-called sandwich was large enough to provide more than a full days worth of calories in its own right. And then they order fries alongside. And still go out for an early dinner. It was a real struggle to keep weight down even on a few short days trip to my American head office.
That's America for you. We manufacture here a range of cakes, one such is a sponge slice. It's a sugary little thing for kids. Each one probably weighs 50-70g or so, it's a bit of sponge, maybe some filling and some icing. They sell as a packet of 6 and are a favourite for kids' lunchboxes. UK serving? 1 slice, maybe 2. I wouldn't ever want to eat more than 2, however hungry I were. We sell the same thing in the USA. Packet of 6? "This pack contains 2 portions." Jesus.

A Pie Barm. A staple of chip shops, cafes and similar places all over Lancashire and bits of Yorkshire. When I get to one of my days off on this interminable bloody diet I'm going to buy a nice pie, some decent bread and make one.

Recalled your post Steve, after a friend shared the following link with me. Caution all, if you haven't eaten, or are still on a diet, this will have you salivating.

A Scouser Tries The Wigan Kebab and Smack Barm Pea Wet - YouTube

Interesting among the comments, a reference to miners using the bread to avoid touching the pie with unwashed hands, and discarding it (the bread). I recall a school visit, aged 15, down a South Wales coal mine, seeing two guys sat at a face on their break, drinking tea from flasks and with coal dust ingrained hands eating cake wrapped in paper.

Recalled your post Steve, after a friend shared the following link with me. Caution all, if you haven't eaten, or are still on a diet, this will have you salivating.

A Scouser Tries The Wigan Kebab and Smack Barm Pea Wet - YouTube

Interesting among the comments, a reference to miners using the bread to avoid touching the pie with unwashed hands, and discarding it (the bread). I recall a school visit, aged 15, down a South Wales coal mine, seeing two guys sat at a face on their break, drinking tea from flasks and with coal dust ingrained hands eating cake wrapped in paper.
I am still on a diet, but as I hit my "acceptable" range this week I'm happy enough, the heat is off. I did have a very nice pie on a free day the week before last, I couldn't bring myself to add a barm to an already generously proportioned pie. I will though, one day.
The discarding of the barm so that you can eat with dirty hands chimes with the tin and lead miners in Cornwall discarding the crimped crust from the top of a pasty because they couldn't wash their hands and didn't want to poison themselves. I think the use of a paper was common across many miners for the same reason. Grim places to work, I can see why my current factory, built on a redundant pit top, has been a popular place to work for 45 years. You don't have to go underground, there are proper toilets and a canteen, people don't routinely die at work and there's an absence of falling coal.

On 6x2 days on Sundays we used to enjoy a BEST from a local shop. That’s a massive white bap (around 8” across) with Bacon, Egg, Sausage and (tinned) Tomato.
Leaning slightly forward is the way to make the least mess.

On 6x2 days on Sundays we used to enjoy a BEST from a local shop. That’s a massive white bap (around 8” across) with Bacon, Egg, Sausage and (tinned) Tomato.
That's very much like the Flat Breakfast found on the eastern side of Leeds and out towards Cas, Ponty and the rest of the 5 towns.

That’s a massive white bap (around 8” across) with Bacon, Egg, Sausage and (tinned) Tomato.

Derby has one or two cob shops and wagons offering a variety of sizes of bap, and 8 inches is one of the smaller ones. The biggest is generally called a dustbin lid - an exageration, but about the size of kitchen flip-top bin lid, so 12"+.

As a lifetime sandwich fan I’ve tried all sorts. But, at the end of the day after too much juice I always find myself shredding as much cheddar as I can get into a bap with marge and a generous topping of tomato sauce. Second best is corned beef, shallot and mustard…. The CB can be subbed by the haslet mentioned above without any loss of pleasure;)

@stevec67, @Vinny, this was near to Doncaster. A pal who enjoyed similar breakfasts a few miles away in Mansfield referred to a ‘cob’ (but I think we’ve already had a ‘names for breadcakes’ thread).

I think we’ve already had a ‘names for breadcakes’ thread).

Having lived in a few places across the UK, I can tell you that the names for pieces of bread vary enormously.
Around Sheffield, 30 years back, any two pieces of bread with a filling was a sandwich - how you asked for two slices from a loaf with a filling, I have no idea, unless it was exactly that.

For slices, you'd be right. However for a bread roll the rules are different. It's a teacake in Barnsley and always has been. I have a teacake every Friday with bacon and egg. However once a teacake exceeds a certain size it's an oven bottom cake. I'm not sure at what point the change in size dictates the name change. I'll have to check what the South Yorkshire Trades Descriptions Act says about teacake size definition. Unless it's covered by Food Labelling Regs 1994, Nomenclature, Appx. 4 (Yorkshire) and 4a (Barnsley).

For slices, you'd be right. However for a bread roll the rules are different. It's a teacake in Barnsley and always has been. I have a teacake every Friday with bacon and egg. However once a teacake exceeds a certain size it's an oven bottom cake. I'm not sure at what point the change in size dictates the name change. I'll have to check what the South Yorkshire Trades Descriptions Act says about teacake size definition. Unless it's covered by Food Labelling Regs 1994, Nomenclature, Appx. 4 (Yorkshire) and 4a (Barnsley).

Real teacakes have currents in them and get put in the toaster. Down here, this exiled Yorkie loves floured baps.

advertisement

Back