advertisement

Sandwich fillings - name your favourite to brighten up a lunchtime

Anyone remember milk bread?

Just a name, before trade descriptions etc. It contained no milk. It was (in my neck of the woods), a tubular loaf with corrugations - a bit like it had risen and been baked inside a tube made of mini corrugated iron. (It may well have been.)

No idea. But having to snack on Ryvita when all the bread had gone when you came back from the pub and had the munchies always reminds me of eating something akin to eating corrugated iron (or crinkly tin as an old fella I used to work with used to refer to it)

Jam butty, preferably Strawberry or Blackcurrant jam, & an uncut loaf so I can make a door wedge sized one. Goes down a treat with a cup of Yorkshire Teabags tea.

Living in Liverpool we mostly get our jam butties from the jam butty mines, just ask Doddy.

0_Ken-Dodd.jpg

Now, apart from the damage to aural membranes that it would involve, I could eat a whole packet of Ryvita in one go, dry, unaccompanied - slightly malty, slightly salty taste.

Almost as good as Kargs cheese and pumpkin, or whatever they are called.

Surely they were snuff mines?

Otherwise, where does snuff come from?

That was a sideline

What are the Jam Butty Mines?

The Diddymen work in the Jam Butty Mines. The mines can be found in Knotty Ash.

The Diddymen also work The Snuff Quaries, the Broken Biscuit Repair Works, The Treacle Wells and the Moggy Ranch.

OS0zNDE2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Actually. Thinking back. The greatest after pub snack of all time has to be Farleys Rusks. So dry. Yet so meltingly good.I could eat a whole pack in one go.

Actually. Thinking back. The greatest after pub snack of all time has to be Farleys Rusks. So dry. Yet so meltingly good.I could eat a whole pack in one go.

Oh yes, pop them in your mouth & seconds later taste heaven.

Also 4 in a bowl with milk, let it go slushy, taste heaven.

Jam butty, preferably Strawberry or Blackcurrant jam, & an uncut loaf so I can make a door wedge sized one. Goes down a treat with a cup of Yorkshire Teabags tea.

Living in Liverpool we mostly get our jam butties from the jam butty mines, just ask Doddy.

0_Ken-Dodd.jpg

Crisps ( plus ketchup, if you were feeling extravagant) on processed white bread and butter were magnificent as a kid.
My mum went through a phase of doing me cheese, sliced apple and branston on brown rolls for my packed lunch as a teenager working as a builders labourer.
Now I’ve a more mature palate, I do love a good Reuben.

I am wretching at the very slightest thought of rusks, for all the reasons that you two appear to like them,............

Sounds absolutely lovely, bet it tasted such as well.
They did, but once you told my mum you liked something, you get them every day without fail until you were swapping them with a workmate just for a bit of vairiety.

I am sure I once had a meat pie in a bread roll somewhere.
A Pie Barm. A staple of chip shops, cafes and similar places all over Lancashire and bits of Yorkshire. When I get to one of my days off on this interminable bloody diet I'm going to buy a nice pie, some decent bread and make one.

Tortilla de patatas on a Spanish barra. If done well, no additions (mayo/mustard/etc.).
Full on Cuban sandwich: pork, ham, pickle, cheese, mustard…
Bacon and egg on granary, with salty butter and a light touch of HP sauce.

Salt beef, cream cheese and sliced wallies

Cheddar cheese, plain crisps and tomato ketchup

Frys chocolate cream.

I once made a cheese, tomato, pate and jam sandwich. I did eat it. I was a student, travelling inter rail and pitched up at a campsite overlooking Florence, Italy. I just used everything that was in the tent. I was hungry.

advertisement

Back