advertisement

Sandi Toksvig Extraordinary Places Ch4 tonight 9pm

wow&flutter

pfm Member
Just a heads up about the above show on tonight. The second property has a personal link as my grandfather was the gamekeeper on this estate in the early 1900’s and my father lived there till the 1950’s.

The original hunting lodge which is at one end of loch Ossian was refurbished by its then new owners and as a wedding gift the soon to be bride commissioned a book on the 57000 acre estate for her husband to be presented at the lodge opening.

Now, for local history it’s best to get it from locals and my father was tracked down early 2002 I guess to provide some history to the books author. So pleased with the content the new owners invited those involved in the project along with my father, brother and myself to celebrate the completion the lodge around 2003.

The lodge which is shown from approx 22 -39 mins really is in a stunning location. Astonishing to think that was my fathers playground for the early years of his life!
One lasting memory of the visit was the small pond at the very start of the clip was at that time still full of stagnant water and the Scottish midges were in abundance. Thankfully the guests could escape but a group of pipers and drummers who surrounded the pond for most of the evening were not quite so lucky. It was horrible just walking past it!

Anyway, no indication of the cost for a stay at the lodge but it appears to be still going strong and so it should considering the £20million build costs in 2003. I suspect there will have been additional investment and development to support the lodge and surrounding infrastructure since then.

Unfortunately apart from a trip to a family funeral in Fort William in 2018 I’ve been unable to return. I suspect only a lottery win will ever see me in the lodge itself!

The whole series is currently available on the All4 app if you gave it.

We’re enjoying the series so far. Will keep a mental note for your connection when we watch this episode, thanks.

I suspect only a lottery win will ever see me in the lodge itself!

There is always the Youth Hostel at the other end of the Loch!

I'll have a look for that programme - I've been in that area once (by train to Corrour station to climb one of the Munro's) and it's an interesting area and quite a way from the nearest roads.

I've stayed at the hostel a number of times, a magical setting. The hostel warden there was a real character (long time ago now).

I've not stayed at the hostel but have visited it as my wife wanted to say hello to the warden. She'd take groups of kids there on school outdoor trips a few times. It's a lovely spot, and it's also very cool getting off the train in the middle of nowhere - at the station featured in Trainspotting.

I tried to watch an episode last night, but had to turn it off even though she was in an area of Scotland where my dad helped plant most of the trees when he worked there in the 60's

She's unwatchable, so cringe worthy I had to just turn it off after about 2 minutes

I tried to watch an episode last night, but had to turn it off even though she was in an area of Scotland where my dad helped plant most of the trees when he worked there in the 60's

She's unwatchable, so cringe worthy I had to just turn it off after about 2 minutes
You should try Penelope Keith, Hidden Villages, where she visits Kerrycroy ( with its Bute estate houses in Edwardian mock Tudor style) and purrs excitedly “its just like England!”.

advertisement

Back