advertisement

Samsung to buy Harman for $8 Billion

My first thought on reading the header was -- car market. Confirmed by the video -- and probably a good brand for them to have (more upmarket for HiFi -- and better than their "valve" amp).

Now Samsung can change the name into "Mark Levinson" or at least start to build smatrphones for audiophiles.

Which phone do you have ? Mark Levinson !

My first thought on reading the header was -- car market. Confirmed by the video -- and probably a good brand for them to have (more upmarket for HiFi -- and better than their "valve" amp).
Kia have used Harmon in their cars for several years, a much bigger market than domestic HiFi

A modern double DIN car head unit is a smartphone with a power amplifier, so I can see how Samsung may already have been OEMing to Harmon

Guys ...

it is, and has been for centuries, Harman.

Although if from now on you call them Harmung I might forgive you.

Well it is time for all the 'groupie' hi fi fans who place too much insane devotional faith in particular brand name units, to just start looking afresh at other -presently , unjustly neglected manufacturers, have to offer. Who, also -no doubt- have been trying for some time, to get your fair attention to examine and audition some of their goods.
P.S. What's the big crisis?..

Ive got close ties this one....one company I worked for, AMX, are part of the Harman group and another one I used to sell, SVSI, was bought by Harman.
The press releases in our, AV world, refer to Samsung buying Harman, the automotive electrics giant!

How long before IAG buys the Music Group and then we really will be down to a couple.

Ive got close ties this one....one company I worked for, AMX, are part of the Harman group and another one I used to sell, SVSI, was bought by Harman.
The press releases in our, AV world, refer to Samsung buying Harman, the automotive electrics giant!

How long before IAG buys the Music Group and then we really will be down to a couple.
A couple of '"what's " exactly?
A puzzling question : if one considers the vast range of equipment and manufacturers , across the whole entire HI FI World-wide Industry. Leaving aside a group of old exclusive type dowager cottage -mentality brands that have lived on their laurels far too long.
The only dire foreseeable consequence.....too many sound nuts will lose their rights to keep claiming 'elitist - pissing high up the wall' just because they own some piece of equipment with a fancy brand tag.

Question....Do we really needs 1000's of different loudspeakers driver designs in the world?

Just pick 50 and develop the hell out of them...

Well it is time for all the 'groupie' hi fi fans who place too much insane devotional faith in particular brand name units, to just start looking afresh at other -presently , unjustly neglected manufacturers, have to offer. Who, also -no doubt- have been trying for some time, to get your fair attention to examine and audition some of their goods.
P.S. What's the big crisis?..

Of course no big crisis. Harman has been one of the few manufacturers with really solid R&D facilities and budget (unlike the smaller manufacturers who are more into "design" than real R&D), and hopefully they will continue with that - but the acquisition points to where the real value and market is.

Of course no big crisis. Harman has been one of the few manufacturers with really solid R&D facilities and budget (unlike the smaller manufacturers who are more into "design" than real R&D), and hopefully they will continue with that - but the acquisition points to where the real value and market is.

Too bad none of this has trickled down into better sound for the masses.

advertisement

Back