advertisement

Salas Shunt Regulator Build

Actually, it is only one kind of board with three regs on it. There are two positive regulators and one negative reg on each triple-board. But they can be separated as needed (for example: one single positive and one joined dual reg).

If you do not want to buy all of the parts yourself, you can get the mini kits, too.
They include almost everything, except the big caps, heatsinks, and the voltage/current setting resistors.

There are four kind of minikits, two positive ones and two negative ones.
The IRF kit is for higher voltages above +/- 5.5V. The BJT version is for voltages below +/- 5.5V.

So you have plan ahead a little, but once you have the boards and the minikits, it is only a few parts which you have to fit to you current/voltage-needs.

There's a low voltage board (LV) and high voltage (HV). I think all we'd be interested in is the low voltage, although I don't know offhand what voltage/current it can supply up to

Ahh, I forgot about the high voltage supply.
As I see it, this is just for tube applications.

The regular LV board goes up to 45V (I think) and many hundreds of mA (it just depends on your heatsinks)

The Legato can take as many as three separate + & - 15v feeds though you can get away with just the one. That's one split rail 15-0-15 v DC for each of the I/V stages and just a single 15-0-15v DC one for the dual channel buffer. That'll leave you with three remaining +ve Salas Regs. These could each be set up at 5.25 volts, with one feeding the Avcc on its own as this is a sensitive supply, one feeding Vdd and a third to supply the Wavio.

Then of course there's dual mono to consider!!

Hi John, powereing the left and right and buffer independently is beyond my investment level for the moment. I'll have 2 legatos and 2 buffalos, hence the first pair of +/- and +, then another triple card using the + boards for the waveio

Stefan

Right. I think I've got it...

I'm currently using a single Legato in my main dual-mono Buff., powered by a PH bipolar reg. My plan might be to move the PH to my second Buff., then power the Legato with three bipolar Salas regs. In which case I'll need 3x LV1 boards, 6x + minikits and 3x - minikits. That'll leave the makings of three + regs free, one of which I can use instead of the HD Placid in my second Buff. Does this make sense?

Do I just add my name & order quantities to the spreadsheet? Sorry, I'm a bit dim (an age thing)

Seem to remember that I just added my details to the spread sheet, then received a paypal invoice when the gb kicked off.
It was a while ago, and I forgot exactly what I did, age thing here to.
The Salas are very good though annd John Luckins tricks do improve matters.

Yes it should perform a little better if in a critical position.
For me it was on the Buffalo III Avcc feed and IJT cuts the mustard, since moved on to a tweaked Flea which is even better.
John Luckins advised me to use IJT which I consequently built but I could not resit having a play and also built the BJT which was not as good. Not sure why IJT is best being a little dim myself but Johns advice is always good and stands up with MC, PD and sparts amongst other of the like whom actually know the 'why' things happen.

I just finished 3 of these Salas regs tonight for use with a buffalo II and Legato 3.1. Just as a basic full replacement of TP regs for the moment. They seem to run very stable and totally cool (albeit with the oversized heatsinks).

There is a small problem im just looking at, maybe its something obvious (or more likely.. stupid) but I can't work it out right now. The 5v is fine but the two 15v shunts for legatos go to 2v on connection to the legato. They are putting out around 350ma, shunting about 100ma, red leds do not light - but they light on dummy load. Seems odd.. will check all the connections tomorrow.

Some pics

20130512_233923.jpg

20130512_224028.jpg

2013%2520-%25201.jpg

There is a small problem im just looking at, maybe its something obvious (or more likely.. stupid) but I can't work it out right now. The 5v is fine but the two 15v shunts for legatos go to 2v on connection to the legato. They are putting out around 350ma, shunting about 100ma, red leds do not light - but they light on dummy load. Seems odd.. will check all the connections tomorrow.

Maybe it helps to separate the CCS and the Vref circuit, following Andrew T´s recipe here. You can then check the CCS independently. And maybe figure out easyer what is wrong.

Maybe your CCS is putting out not enough current? I´d make sure of that first.

advertisement

Back