advertisement

Safely storing replacement Tannoy MG15 cones?

ToTo Man

the band not the dog
We're currently rearranging my cupboards so I thought it would be a good idea to inspect the MG15 cones I bought from Lockwood a few years ago. I've never been sure about the best way to store these, the photos below show how they are currently stored, which I'm pretty sure is how I received them from Lockwood. They are face down in a cardboard box, one on top of the other (in the same box), with a sheet of cardboard cut around each voice coil former.

I was thinking of trying to reverse the effects of gravity and flip the box upside down for a few months, so that the formers are below the cones instead of above, but wonder if this would cause the cones to sag under their own weight? If there's a better way to store these then please let me know as I'd like to protect my investment!

51019323732_09a4a4946d_b.jpg

51018499478_801ff52654_b.jpg

51019323657_e6c592844f_b.jpg

I flipped my box (which is the same) over several months ago. I’ll keep rotating it every year or so. It really isn’t great packing IMO, but I have no idea how to improve it.

Conventional packaging would near certainly use two supports an appropriate distance apart. One to support the spider, as currently, and one to support the very top of the cone - so a cut-out of a little under 14 inches diameter at a guess. Poly-bag them and then a carton of the right size.

How long do they work just fine for when stored on edge (in the cab's)?

Interesting arrangement. As they are, supported at the cone neck and hanging with no load on the spider is best way to go. They used to pack them with the spider clamp ring already attached and it took less than 6 months to distort/bugger the spider. just flip em over occasionally or better still, use 'em.;-)

advertisement

Back