advertisement

SACD/CD players reading DSD files

Neil P

pfm Member
My denon dcd-2500 plays SACDs (presumably converting the dsd to pcm on the fly). But it also plays DSD files from DVDs - do they get stored in some kind of ram buffer before being "played"? I'm wondering if the latter might provide better sound quality as less jitter?

I thought SACDs were just DSF files on DVDs as I know my Denon 3910 can also play isos burned to DVDs as SACDs as the software to stop them playing had not been finalised when the player came out. Enjoy.

My denon dcd-2500 plays SACDs (presumably converting the dsd to pcm on the fly). But it also plays DSD files from DVDs - do they get stored in some kind of ram buffer before being "played"? I'm wondering if the latter might provide better sound quality as less jitter?
Yes, there's a buffer and there's no need to worry over jitter. From Denon's flyer (PDF at DCD-2500NE_EN01.indd (gzhls.at)):

"DAC Master Clock Design
To accurately synchronize digital circuits, the DCD-2500NE’s DAC Master Clock Design treats the DAC as the master when clock signals are supplied. Positioning the master clock immediately adjacent to the D/A converter (DAC) suppresses jitter and ensures optimum precision in D/A conversion. In addition, the quality of the clock, which becomes the reference for semiconductor operation, is extremely important for ensuring that the digital audio circuitry performs at its maximum potential. The DCD-2500NE thus employs a clock oscillator to dramatically reduce phase noise that is the displacement of frequencies. ..."

This is written with marketing-level emphasis but assuming its true (I do) the basic clock architecture of the player is right and it will deal with digital stream jitter very well indeed.

Any audio data stream from discs will be buffered. That's because the data from any one section of music is interleaved on the disc with many other sections. So a big batch of errors from a physical disc imperfection gets distributed into smaller numbers of errors over many sections. Thus the errors become correctable. A buffer is essential to undo this interleaving. However, what matters more is the clock architecture and the clock implementation, as per the flyer.

advertisement

Back