advertisement

Ryan Sound Lab Phono Preamp Review

Roger,

Thanks a lot for the XLR info. I couldn't find any general info on it but this wiring makes a lot of sense so I will follow it. I was asking because one of my customers has them on his turntable. Regarding whether it is superior to RCA or BNC, I can't say because my turntable outputs are BNC and I have no access to one with XLR. As you know, balanced XLR's are used a lot on stage where long cable runs can pick up noise. My turntable doesn't have that problem so I'm not sure it would be a benefit to me. I can't really tell the difference between straight BNC and BNC with RCA adapters.

Regarding "balanced" input - I also wanted a completely "balanced" input stage but could not figure out how to design a reasonable one for a current-mode circuit (e.g. didn't use a transformer). Maybe those Aquavox guys are a lot smarter than I am? It would be interesting to compare the two for sound but I suspect they would sound different no matter what.

What got me started on the current-mode input approach was comparing a Drynavector P75 voltage and current ("phono enhancer") modes with everything else being the same. No contest to my ears - current mode had much more information and was so much clearer and dynamic. I was going to try to provide both options by using jumpers (as complicated as that makes it) but decided that no one would want to use voltage mode after they heard current mode so why bother.

Kit, is this any help?

xlrplugxlr3-mod.jpg

XLR-to-RCA.png

It seems to be a relative standard that pins 1 and 3 are jumpered together as the return and 2 is hot.

It does help a bit - thanks. I have seen these diagrams for connecting to a microphone but my concern was I didn't know how it related to a turntable connection. According to Roger S, (and their website) Aqvox uses a fully balanced input meaning the 2nd lead that goes to Pin 1 above is not connected to ground as it shows here. I would have to connect it to ground anyway to make my circuit worked but it still left me a little uncertain as to whether there was something unusual in the turntable connections. I will probably try the hook up you show since there isn't another obvious one that would work.

My impression: I have been trying the RSL MagicPower 72 plugin cards, including the MC phono boards, to cut a long story short (there is a separate thread for those!) I liked what they did to my stock 72, but the MC cards driven from LP12/ARO/DV20X2L was not as big an improvement as the gain/time align board improvements to my ears. So Kit kindly suggested i also try his new phono stage.

Now this is a substantial jump in performance, clearer, more detail, more texture, still great rhythm and timing fantastic stuff. Given Kit's generous offer of providing a loan for you to evaluate in your own home, if you are in the market for a new phono stage at this price point then I think you would be mad not to try it. When i discussed my set up with my local Naim dealer he suggested my phono input was the obvious area for improvement, for others in a similar position I would say you should add the RSL phono stage to your list of options.

A very tidy and flexible package, it came to me as a MC stage with the gain set to +3dB and gain 5, there are options for MM, and on the MC 0, +3 and +6 dB then 1 through 8 gain on separate sets of jumpers, all clearly labelled, easy to get at and simple enough to allow you to adjust phono stage gain to suit your cartridge and system. As set to had much more gain than my stock 72 S cards so I backed it off to 0db make back to back comparisons a bit easier. I also removed the grounding jumper as connecting my arm ground lead to the phono pre ground post lead to some hum. With the internal ground jumper removed this was improved but still a fraction more than when i connected the arm lead to the 72 ground post. It is useful Kit gives you these options, a nice touch. YMMV but at least you have options!

Thanks Kit

As a past customer of of RSL, I have been lucky enough to have a chance to have extended loans of two versions of Kit’s phono pre amps in order that I can give feed back to Kit. I had access to the version with a wall wart back in 2018 and this year Kit sent me a version of the latest Phono pre amp with an external power supply. After a couple of months he sent me new boards to put in the amp in which he had updated a few components. i should probably mention that kit offered me no inducements to review his kit and ask me to tell him the plain snd clear truth about what i heard and experienced when using his phono amp.

Firstly let’s go through this logically. I have a Paradise phono amp already in my system and I can state categorically that I am not looking to change this. It’s a great phono stage and works well with my Naim Nac 72 ( with RSL boards). The rest of my system is a LINN Sondeck LP12 with Lingo Mk 3, Dynavector XX2 mk2 cartridge. I have 2 Naim 250 olive amps, an electronic cross-over - a Snaxo with a super cap - running active Naim SL2 speakers and sometimes, SBL mk 2 and Naim IBL mk2.

After extending listening to Kit's original phono amp i was able to conclude that it was good- certainly better than my old P75 mk1 but not in the same league as my Paradise. I then received his new phono stage to audition and my first impressions were very positive. A few weeks later, I then received a new set of boards with updated components which I fitted without a problem. This I believe is the version that is now for sale.

My notes show that this latest version was a considerable upgrade over both previous versions. while the full power supply gave a much improved sound with better sound stage, depth and more solid bass, the new boards removed a brittle sheen that was actually getting in the way of hearing what was happening mainly in the mid and treble frequencies. As the new boards settled in I noticed an even greater increase in depth and in imaging, giving a more balanced sound stage and smoother but more detailed performance. I used alternatively my Naim IBL speakers, my SBL speakers, and then my new SP2 speakers (all actively). While improvements improvements in sound were apparent on all the speakers the SP 2s showed up the greatest difference and sounded by far the most dynamic and detailed of the three speakers. This suggested to me that the phono stage was operating at the same sort of quality levels as the rest of my system.

Then the serious listening began - first of all I fiddled with the relative gain settings, something easy to do in the current version of the stage through moving some jumpers on the circuit board. I decided that the middle gain level provided the correct load for my system. By luck this gain was more or less the same as experienced through my paradise phono stage. I then replaced the RSL phono stage with the Paradise for a week just to get used to the sonic performance of the Paradise again. Listening to familiar pieces of music I also realised why I like the Paradise so much, it never sounds mechanical or digital , it provides a strong sense of the ambience and the performance of musicians and is equally happy with jazz, rock, folk or classical. It’s also very detailed, and clearly capable of showing up any inadequacies in the recording or the playback equipment.

Switching back to the RSL mark 2 phono stage with the improved boards revealed that both stages are playing in the same ballpark. Perhaps because it is slightly brighter or maybe because it emphasises a little bit more of the upper mid frequencies the RSL stage seemed to push the soundstage forward in the room and give the music a bit more immediacy. I felt if anything the RSL phono stage was voiced to provide a musical performance which was very complimentary to the strength of a Naim system, whereas the Paradise, although superior in some areas actually did not play in the same way to the Naim strengths, most importantly the dynamic drive. So what the RSL was giving me was a performance much more in line with what Naim does well. i should also mention the exceptional build quality of the unit which is at least as good as any commercial product and even the packaging which exudes great quality and attention to detail.

While I would not want to draw strong conclusions since my subjective response only relates to my set up - a set up that is very singular in its approach, I can say that the RSL phono stage is a very exciting product indeed. Without a doubt that if I did not already have the Paradise I would not hesitate in buying the RSL if i had this amount of money to spend. It is amazing value for money and just an incredible package all round. I will be hanging on to the Paradise, but i can say i will miss the RSL phono stage. If you cant get your hands on a Paradise and you don’t have over £2000 plus to spend on a phono stage, why not put yourself on the the list to get a loan of this phono amp to see what it does for your system.

Just a quick note to publically thank Kit for making this loan phono stage available, I have really enjoyed my time with it, now for the next on the list :)

Switching back to the RSL mark 2 phono stage with the improved boards revealed that both stages are playing in the same ballpark. Perhaps because it is slightly brighter or maybe because it emphasises a little bit more of the upper mid frequencies the RSL stage seemed to push the soundstage forward in the room and give the music a bit more immediacy. I felt if anything the RSL phono stage was voiced to provide a musical performance which was very complimentary to the strength of a Naim system, whereas the Paradise, although superior in some areas actually did not play in the same way to the Naim strengths, most importantly the dynamic drive. So what the RSL was giving me was a performance much more in line with what Naim does well. i should also mention the exceptional build quality of the unit which is at least as good as any commercial product and even the packaging which exudes great quality and attention to detail.
Probably not the best place to mention this as it is RSL thread but I hope he wouldn't mind ,
may I ask what RIAA do you use in your Paradise ?
If you require bit of "unveiled" performance I would tweak values to Salas's , I also have Paradise stage and Gerhards RIAA values were a bit too heavy/undynamic in my system .

I must start off to thank Kit for the loan of his RSL phono stage which I’ve had for some months now. The idea was to compare it to the Paradise phono stage with the addition trying my cartridge a Kiseki Blue NS which has an odd internal resistance loading ( 40 ohms) in comparison to the Linn cartridges of 4 ohms.

The RSL unit was still in prototype form but it beautifully finished and compact.

The first incarnation of the phono stage came with a Walmart plug, delivered with two type of moving coil boards, one using capacitance ( Dr T ) and the other board with adjustable resistance loadings.

I first tried the Dr T boards although the background was very quiet I found that when switching from phono to CD which I usually do at the end of the record I had a loud crack across the speakers. This was the same when I used the resistance loaded boards.

I emailed Kit on my findings together suggesting a power supply instead of the Walmart plug. A few weeks later I received through the post a power supply this improved performance. What I liked of the RSL that to alter values in resistances you could move the shunts on the pins to alter values.

The RSL had all the attributions of a good phono stage silent background between tracks with an openness to vocals and instruments.

I emailed Kit with my findings as I found I couldn’t get it to sound better on the Dr T boards compared to the resistance type boards.

Kit said that it was an early prototype and that he’d taken on board what I said and that a new phono stage would be with me in due course. Within a month I received the new RSL and I was eager to evaluate the new unit.
Kit had completely redesigned the boards ( now no thumps on switch off ) this latest unit had the Dr T boards and I allowed the unit 24 hours to “ burn in “
This unit was a major leap forward in comparison to the original unit. I listened to the unit using a varying range of music and I found that it was very revealing, timing excellent but one reservation I couldn’t listen for long period compared to the Paradise to “ in your face “ ?

I told Kit of my observations and he said he had the same assumption. About 6 weeks ago I received a pair of new boards again I allowed the boards 24 hours to burn in. These latest set of boards are a quantum leap in reproduction they retained all of the previous attributes but I now noticed that it just allowed you to listen to the music the rendition is top class. All I did on the boards was adjust it to a lower setting from the top setting.

My opinion is that this is a first class phono stage great value for money in fact it’s a steal. Kit is a great guy to deal with, the best compliment I can say if I didn’t have the Paradise I could quite easily live with the RSL.

Regards,

Martin

Martin's nice review brings to light the nature of R&D and the value of having others evaluate your product along the way. I was only through his and a couple of other's observations and suggestions that the improvements were made and I'm very grateful for that. The final result was worth the effort.

I was especially interested in how the RSL Phono-Stage compared to the Paradise, which so much has been written about and seems to be the current "standard" to which others are measured. While apparently now in the same league, the RSL does have different strengths and weaknesses that allow the listener to decide what is best for him/her. In particular, I was aiming for the most dynamic/live sound and that seems to have been achieved. I am definitely a "happy camper"....

To be clear, the loaners now being circulated are the very latest version and no longer prototypes. I hope those who wish to listen do contact me. I now have two loaners in the UK so the schedule is being moved up. Availability is looking like mid-late August now.

I was very lucky to buy the last of the Ryan Sound Lab's moving magnet phono cards for the Naim Nac 82 preamp. These are amazingly musical, dynamic and have very dark backgrounds. My preference for moving coil cartridges has been for many years the use of step up transformers - SUTs - with moving magnet RIAA phono stages as this combination gives the music a liveness and immediateness that I don't get with active amplification phono stages. Certainly the combination of a Fidelity Research FRT-5 Sut and Kit's MM boards with my Transfiguration Spirit III MC cartridge in my Nac 82 is stunning to my ears. Recently I added Kit's RSL PSM1 power regulators to my 2 Naim Hicaps powering my Nac 82 and the sound has been elevated further with superb dynamics and more detail especially in the bass. I can't wait for the loaner phono stage to arrive.

I have just reluctantly shipped the phono-stage onto the next person on the list. What a wonderful piece of kit. It brings the musicians so much closer. Everything is clearer, cleaner, closer to the message. It conveys music so musically.

I have reverted to Kit's Z100 MC cards in my 72 preamp. Whilst the cards are good, the phono-stage is in another league. It brings familiar music 'alive'. I have nothing negative to say regarding this piece of kit. I want one.

Colin

Appreciate the latest comments on the RSL Phono-Stage very much. The loaner is moving along in the UK and will hopefully be at the AudioFlat Bake-off in August. Might be a good opportunity to compare a number of phono-stages in a consistent setting. Get more info about that here:

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=885&p=15554#p15554

In the meantime, please send me requests for the loaner to: [email protected]. Looking like late September availability for new names on the list.

Review of Ryan Sound Labs Phono Stage

The anticipated arrival of Kit's Ryan Sound Labs' Phono Stage was initially a damp squib. I just hooked it up into my hifi system in MC mode as delivered and after a day of warming up was underwhelmed by its flat, noisy sound. I was using it with my Linn Arkiv mk1 – VDH rebuilt – in an SME IV/D tonearm. Upon removing the lid of the phono stage I saw there were no jumpers in place on any of the gain boost settings so I placed them on the 0db settings replaced the lid and then – WOW. So important to not be the ass in assume!!

The RSL PS is the best sounding MC phono stage – using active amplification – I have heard in my system. I have had Van Den Hul Grail and Linn Uphorik phono stages which did not come near the RSL PS for its musicality, sound stage, dynamics and detail – and they cost £6500 and £2000 respectively.

I use other Ryan Sound Labs' gear in my system – RSL MM cards in my Naim Nac 82 and RSL Regulators in my two Naim Hicaps – and all are first class imho and have elevated my system to greater heights.

As a HiFi addict of 50 years experience I discovered the magic – for me – of the step up transformer (SUT) only in the last 10 years. This generic revelation is like some other equipment when first encountered like – Single Ended Triode tube amps and Horn loaded speakers once heard never forgotten.

So I have been using the RSL MM cards with step up transformers -SUTs - to amplify my MC cartridges – Lyra Kleos, Transfiguration Spirit III, Miyajima Zero mono together with low output moving iron cartridges from Grado and Soundsmith – with glorious results.

Next I replaced the MC cards from the RSL PS and replaced them with the MM cards and used them with my Fidelity Research FRT-5 SUT and the Linn Arkiv/VDH MC cartridge. After some changes of capacitance and gain I arrived at 0pfs and 35 db gain being the best combination going into my Naim NAC 82 preamp. The sound was more dynamic than the same cartridge via the MC cards with similar detail, bass and sound stage.

So to sum up imho the RSL phono stage is a very musical device that repays experimenting with its gain settings – capacitance too in MM mode – to get the best sound from your cartridge. Price wise you will find it hard to be beat under £2000 for its MC inputs. Well done Kit!!

Thanks Roger for the positive comments on the RSL Phono-Stage. Not having such expensive equipment to compare with, it's good to know the unit sounds right up there. As I've noted before about other RSL components, the development was the result of a lot of hard work plus luck.

Also, a good reminder that loaner equipment is always being adjusted by different people for their particular setup. It's good advice to open up these units and make sure they are adjusted correctly for your system. For the RSL products, please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions in that regard.

Apologies to Kit that my review is a belated one, for one reason and another.

I was lucky enough to be on the loan list a few weeks (months?!) ago now and it blew me away right from the get go. It came to me set for a bit too much gain as to what I'd like and knocking it back a setting or two only improved what was already a really good first impression.

I managed to hear it alongside a couple of other phono stages plus a couple of different amps as well. I've been hunting down the holy grail of phono stages for about 18 months and hardly any of the ones sub £1k made any sort of impression at all, and in a lot of cases were a massive let down with me not even being able to distinguish them from the onboard stage of a decent integrated amp. That all changed with the RSL stage, I'd not heard my Benz Glider sound as good, it was like a complete cart and phono stage upgrade rolled into one!

Not having to worry about cartridge loading appeals to my OCD, plus the amount of gain flexibility is second to none, 8 individual gain settings plus if that isn't enough there's a separate +3db or +6db gain boost feature. As soon as I sent it on I emailed Kit to let him know I'd be buying one ASAP, it was/is that good

I don't think I'll ever be in the Paradise/Vida league but after hearing the RSL stage I'm not worried that I'm missing out on a great deal.

So I've had my own for a good few weeks now and love every minute of it, alongside my speakers it's the best Hi-Fi purchase I've made. If you're in the sub £1k phono stage market then I highly recommend getting a listen to one if you can.

I should also have updated this thread further after my initial comments in July. Following on from the audition, I also bought the phono stage. I was not in the market for a phono stage, my planned upgrade was to have been an overdue cartridge change but, when I heard the phono stage, the cartridge upgrade took a back seat.

The tone of instruments and flow of the music is just a joy. The notes float on the air and one is easily absorbed into the music. I am listening to Stan Getz Quartet - The Stockholm Concert and the piano playing of Jim McNeely is just wonderful and complements the saxophone of Getz. The tempo and timing gets you swinging along with the musicians. Prior to the phono stage I thought I played records, but I am definitely playing them now.

So, whether you're looking for a phono stage or not if you play records, get your name onto the 'no obligation' loner list. You'll be surprised as just how good your records can sound. I was and still am daily.

Colin

advertisement

Back