advertisement

Ryan Sound Lab Naim Preamp Plug-Ins Loaner Set

Dear all RSL followers,

Progress has its potential pitfalls and I made one in a design error in some of the RSL thin film boards shipped starting February 2015. It involves what I thought was a very minor "improvement" in power supply decoupling that turned out to hurt bass response (in particular). It affects only some of the boards. The fix is very easy - simply remove one or two tiny capacitors from the affected boards and the sound quality takes a jump for the better. Currently shipping boards have this fix already made.

I have sent out a "recall notice" to all customers who might be affected along with instructions on how to easily fix this. I will fix these at no cost if they prefer (and do it in the EU for faster service).

All the details are in a .pdf document but it's too long to include in this post and I don't know how to reference it otherwise (can someone advise?). If anyone wants a copy please PM me with your email and I'll send a copy directly. Or email me directly at [email protected].

One "lesson learned" is "don't make more than one change at a time"! I made about 5 changes at once and the effects masked one another so I didn't realize I was giving up bass unnecessarily.

Best regards,

Kit

Did my V5.1 gain boards this evening. Took about 10 mins.

Sound has changed - almost too harsh and bright now.
I'll leave it overnight and if necessary adjust the treble pots in the SNAXO tomorrow.

Jo,

If you're not happy with the change, I will replace the boards, no problem. I've heard back from about 8 others who did the change and liked it but that doesn't mean it's for everybody. Let us know in the next couple of days what you want to do.

Best regards,

Kit

Kit,

where was this cap in the circuit and what was its function?

Seems to have buggered up the frequency response with a lower-mid suck out.

I'm running a Chord Hugo as source into the RSL'd 72 powered by Avondale TPX4s, then a SNAXO into Avondaled mono 110s (HF)and an NCC200 based amp on the bass, then IBLs with an NSUB.

Jo,

A little hard to describe in words but this cap was an extra by-pass capacitor on the bias circuit for the output constant current source (!). I can provide a schematic if that would help. I got the idea from another circuit on PFM related to Starfish and "split earth" design but I can't find the reference for it now. By removing the capacitor, the circuit returns to a typical Naim output constant current source design that should have no new (or negative) effects anywhere in the frequency band.

Once possible explanation for what you're hearing is that the lower bass has been restored to its proper level (e.g. increased from the deficit it had with the capacitor in place) which might make it feel like the bass just above that (the mid-bass you might be referring to) has been reduced. Does that sound like a possibility?

Again, if you'd prefer the previous version, I'll send you some new boards with the caps back in. You could do an A-B comparison more easily that way, too.

Best regards,

Kit

Kit,

this is a puzzle then.

With the original naim boards and your original RSLs there was a very good frequency balance.

Now with the caps removed I'm struggling to hear bass guitar, cello, kick drums etc. It is as though the upper harmonics are there, but not the fundamental.

So it definitely isn't anything being restored to a proper level.

Regards,

jo

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to bodge a couple of film caps in there...a 1uF and then a 10uF.

Jo,

Must be something else wrong with the boards, so I will send a new pair in the mail with the capacitors still in place. Hopefully that will get you back to where it was. Will send you tracking info later via separate email when it ships.

Sorry for the problems.

Best regards,

Kit

Hi Kit,

I am late to this discussion, but would very much like to add myself into this activity, if that's ok with you.

I've recently replaced 90/92/flatcap with 72/HiCap/250 and have an Avondale TPR4 coming as a Christmas present, so am already a happy bunny. However, your stuff looks excellent and once I'm used to the new 'standard' sound, I'd like to then have a go with your boards.

Forgive me for not so far having read all 35 pages of this thread, but what's the next step?

Regards
Andrew.

Andrew,

Thanks for asking! If you go to my website www.ryansoundlab.com you can read up on the boards options and decide what you'd like to replace. Consider the Custom Set which replaces the output boards and the time-aligned filters. If you need phono upgrades, they are there, too. You can place the order right on the site. Many people on this and other forums have described the sound quality improvement so I won't repeat them.

The TPR4 upgrade will also be a big help in getting the sound more focused. You will have a great set when you are done!

Kit

Hi Kit,

Installed the TPR4 last night and am very pleased with the improvement. In fact it's a bit of a relief as the standard hicap was sounding quite veiled to me, but all is now very much better.

Yes, I've already been through your website and read the reviews - sounds like you've done a great job. I was enquiring about joining the trial process, but actually, with such good recommendations, I'll just order some! Do you have any stock available in the uk?

Cheers,
Andrew.

Andrew,

Regarding local stock of boards, I haven't yet gotten to the "dealer" stage where someone would hold boards for the local market. They take about 10 days to get there from the USA but having a dealer network would double the price, so I think it's worth the wait.

Best regards,

Kit

No worries - I completely understand and in any case, I just ordered a pair of Z250s on your website! I look forward to trying them and maybe then move onto the others :)

Cheers
Andrew.

Keith and others,

Yes, the loaner set is still available. Just PM me with details of your name/address and I'll get you in the queue (which is very short these days). You usually get the set for a 2-week audition.

Best regards,

Kit

To my loyal Ryan Sound Lab fans - just FYI, I have announced some new products today that may be of interest (just to show I haven't been sitting on my hands for all this time!):

1. RSL Preamp and Power Supply. Announcement here: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=192354

2. PSM-1 HiCap upgrade regulator module. Announcement here: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=192363

3. PSM-2 Power Supply module (suitable for FlatCap2 upgrade). Same announcement as #2 above.

As with the RSL boards, I have striven for maximum dynamic sound with very tight bass and fast rhythms.

Best regards,

Kit

advertisement

Back