1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Adams Book- LoserRing- A story of Whiskeytown

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Teddy Ray, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

THe first proper biography of the best songwriter of the past 20 years...

Ryan fans MUST get it.

2. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

just finished reading this. so good.

3. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Does he mention Ed "eDFROMOHIO" Crawford, formerly of fIREHOSE?

4. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

but of course.....ed was great of course but ryan willl never reach the heights of strangers almanac...ever again. that was long before crawford. wandscher, skillet, caitlin etc

5. simeon

simeon No fixed engagements

You got that right, Teddy. SA is an outstanding album.

6. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

It is a great album, although RA seems to hate it.

Faithless Street is my personal favourite, but there really isn't much in it between the three of them. I still find it astonishing that one so young could have had so much talent - and still has.
    I'll be in North Carolina later this year, which should be interesting to see the landscape of these albums.

7. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

youre going to visit me then? ill take you on a personal tour of the areas Ryan grew up in/came of age in...

8. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

i love it too. crazy when you consider how it was recorded and thrown together!

Ryan is notorious for backpeddling and releasing stuff then hating it. its part of his mystique.

9. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

I will most definitely meet you for a beer if you are around there in late August, Teddy.

10. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Ryan Adams isn't bad, I've seen him a few times. He seems to have cleared up his drinking and drug binges, which means he'll be around for a few more years.

Jack

11. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

He's too up his own arse to be any good, for me

12. Greg

Greg 2t5b

I never quite got his love song to Kevin Costner.

13. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

ie early days he wasn't. on his best days he could(and I am not exaggerating) stand toe to toe with any songwriter in history.

there are some legendary shows from the mid 90s that demonstrate this quite clearly.

the best songwriter of my generation, and IMO, as good as Dylan when hes on..

14. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

Oh, i live here, so ill defintely be around!

youre more than welcome here in Southport! quite a nice selection of bars as well in wilmington , myrtle beach, etc(each within 30 mins of me)

15. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

the tradeoff is that his music sucks now.

16. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

My mother's aunt had a hairdressing salon in Myrtle Beach during the 1930s & 40s.
    I personally don't think his writing has faded much at all. maybe it's changed, but Ashes & Fire is a fantastic album and I play it constantly, and more importantly for the future, so does my 14 year old daughter.
    Mid-career, I doubt anyone has ever written a better and sadder song than September. It gets me every time.