advertisement

Rusty brick stands

Musicman19

pfm Member
Hi there newbie here.
Just a querie have had some linn isobarik stands in storage for some time
And they are showing signs of rust and the black coating is starting to peel
Off, anyone have any suggestions on how to refurbish them?
Many thanks musicman19

I suppose it depends on how much you are concerned with appearances. With mine, I simply rubbed them down a bit and used Hammerite paint.

will cost similar perhaps as a mint sh pair on good opportunity.
I'd not powercoat. Any imperfection or rust underneath and you can never get the powdercoat off again by any reasonable means.
I'd use a rotating steel brush and sandpaper + with a good paint like suzywong mentioned it will look pretty much a pro job.,,fine enough for stands.

If you go for a pro finish try to get them sand blasted not bead blasted. Bead blasting tends to 'peen' the metal and locks the rust in. Sand blasting cuts the rusty metal away.

I have some Mana that looks poor close up.
I live with it. Think I would do the same if my Iso stands were the same

I have used a local powder coaters for my GL88 chassis, Linn Kan MkII stands and various bits of Mana and none of it cost the earth. Generally, if they have a batch of the same colour to do, they'll be able to squeeze your bits in without a problem. Just remember to let them know which bits to mask (i.e. threads). For bits that are particularly tatty, getting them blasted is worthwhile too.

Have a look around custom bike shops (fixies), they know what to do and where to have it done cheaply.

Someone told me you can get blasting and powder coating for a few quid, say £25 at a guess. Worth looking around locally

advertisement

Back