advertisement

RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH MUSIC

The Captain

~~~~~~~~~~
Hi, does anyone have any specifically Eastern Orthodox choral/ polyphonic albums and maybe guide me to a few cd's? Im a relative (classical is a minefield of names & lists for a lazyarse Dinosaur jr head) newbie, but, do know Bortniansky is the area/ sort of thing. I prefer the smaller choirs too to the large-scale stuff being more intimate & true to my ears.

I wonder if anyone has any Bortniansky, or any of the 6 recommendations from this fine site for eg?

arhghh- firefox browser.. no flippin address bar to paste in a link! anyway its liturgical music, liturgical books site.

Thankjs capt.

Late Junction played some Bortniansky the other day.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00k9qyq
Is Arvo Part's music of interest to you?, I know he is Estonian but he does some modern church music.......I'm a bit of a classical newbie myself so am prepares to be shot down in flames if it's not a good/appropriate recommendation.

Thanks I'll look into that LJunction list.

Arvo Part- I have 2 cds but its not the thing; its the really authentic religious russian orthodox fayre Im after- even the Rachmaninov russian othodox works are not authentic enough, if you get my gist.

The Male Voice Choir of St Petersberg, otherwise known as The Songalise Male Voice choir. They do a mix of secular and religious stuf.

"All-night service to the Vladimir Icon of the Mother God" by "Choir of St Nicholas Church in Tolmachi at the State Tretyakov Gallery" conducted by Alexei Pouzakov, on the Russian Artistotipia label (1996 recording).

I don't think the recording has ever won any prizes, but you get tracks of traditional choral music such as the Obikhod, mixed with stuff by composers like Chesnokov (early 20th century), Lvov (19th c.), Tourchaninov (early 19th), Kastalsky (late 19th cent.), Tourenkov, Arkhangelsky... sorry, no Bortniansky. I picked up the CD at the airport in St Petersburg, but it is available from Amazon. Decent booklet, bilingual Russian/English.

Thanks Il look into that- seems spot on on the face of it.

recordingwise it does seem essential to get a good recording, ie a church with good acoustics, space to hear the components of a small choir + decent enough recording techniques.. doesn't sound too difficult does it; although Ive read of a few 'not winning any recording prizes'. It does seems a bit odd.

Thanks cheese, its beautiful- listening to it now. More ethereal and sort of 'all-encompasing' a sound- as I'd expect Tchaikovsky to be, somewhat.. but its eye-opening to hear as i never knew he wrote such music at all. I guess the folk denominator of the Russian 'Greats' also prevelant in this type of Orthodox music means there's a natural synergy between the two. very interesting.

advertisement

Back