advertisement

Rush - Clockwork Angels

tqineil

Ubi fides ibi lux et robur
Recently got hold of Rush's 20th Studio Album, Clockwork Angels.

A 'concept' album of some 66 minutes running time, I'm beginning to think that, after many many years of poor/mixed output, they've produced something a bit tasty here. Will need several spins but it's certainly whetted my appetite for the associated tour later in the year.

This guy seems to like it?

http://www.examiner.com/review/rush-s-clockwork-angels-a-work-of-genius

The last half decent thing they did was Snakes and Arrows but I never bothered with it.

Before that I think you have to go all the way back to Hemispheres....

OP says it's a concept album; is it anywhere in the same league as 2112, their best work I think.

What's the mastering like on the CD version?

Rush discs have historically been some of the worst criminals in the loudness wars.

Yes it's available in the uk through What Records.

Which label/pressing is the vinyl on? Roadrunner or is it a different pressing? I have the USA Roadrunner version and it is full of sibilance. So if there's a European pressing that sounds better I'm all for it!

Just listening to the FLAC now for the first time.

Seems compressed and flat to me, definitely no gold star awards for the mastering/engineering, IMO. Geddy's vocals seem to melt into the music, not in a good way.

I admit I have never enjoyed Rush past Signals, utterly love the earlier albums.

I'll give it a few more goes, but I think it will get put in the back, in the discount rack, like another can of beans.

There doesn't appear to be a European pressing of the album on vinyl. I had assumed mine was from the EU given that What Records delivered it a few days before it was officially released. But I've checked and it's the US pressing on Roadrunner. No sibilance problems here though...

I'm happy with the recording personally.

Rather than shell out £25 on the vinyl, you could pop down to WH Smith and pick up the Classic Rock 'fanpack' for £15 which includes the full album on CD in a really nice hardback 'digipack' sleeve plus a magazine, poster and keyring. You have to be a fanboi I guess but it's nice...!

The new album is a 'concept album' but it's nowhere near as immediate as 2112. It doesn't really sound like a continuous concept unless you study the lyrics and sleeve notes. There's a sci-fi novel expanding on the concept out in October. - If I wasn't such a hopeless fan (first gig experience etc) I'd be running for the hills...

There doesn't appear to be a European pressing of the album on vinyl. I had assumed mine was from the EU given that What Records delivered it a few days before it was officially released. But I've checked and it's the US pressing on Roadrunner. No sibilance problems here though...

I'm happy with the recording personally.

Rather than shell out £25 on the vinyl, you could pop down to WH Smith and pick up the Classic Rock 'fanpack' for £15 which includes the full album on CD in a really nice hardback 'digipack' sleeve plus a magazine, poster and keyring. You have to be a fanboi I guess but it's nice...!

The new album is a 'concept album' but it's nowhere near as immediate as 2112. It doesn't really sound like a continuous concept unless you study the lyrics and sleeve notes. There's a sci-fi novel expanding on the concept out in October. - If I wasn't such a hopeless fan (first gig experience etc) I'd be running for the hills...

Ok, that's one report of a clean sounding pressing. Mine was covered in fingerprints from the pressing plant. Sibilance is most noticeable on side 1. Assuming I hear a few more positive responses to the vinyl I'll return it. I got mine this weekend too, but I'm in the USA and I got mine from an indie shop.

Bloody hell! ticket prices for the 2013 UK tour £67.00 - £83.00 a pop, is there a smiley with tears in its eyes I can end the post with? :eek: :mad: :confused:

Yes, ticket prices are very expensive (they were last tour too). But you do get a 3 1/2 hour show for that. Even I thought twice though, particularly as the seat allocation was pants for the SECC. Those are the 'basic' ticket prices. There are also an undefined number of 'VIP' tickets (at about £200 each) which have blocked out almost all of the front of the arena. They'll see how many of these they can flog then release the remainder at 'normal' prices. But no one knows when...

there's plenty of decent tickets to be made available as soon as the 'difficult to shift' tickets are snapped up by fans who think that's all there is left. The promoters have pulled a fast one imho.

I agree. I managed to get a decent enough ticket in the end so I won't be playing their game but it certainly stinks.

advertisement

Back