advertisement

Ruiz vs. Joshua II

Who will win the Dec. 7th rematch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's how the first one should have gone but he was too cocky.

He should stay at this weight and box more rather than trying to be a knock out machine.

Joshua is back. Hopefully he'll eventually become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

Jack

Actually looked like a boxer this evening. Light years behind Fury in terms of ability though. Glad he won Ruiz should be locked up for showing up in that condition. To many burritos

there won't be another rematch I'd have thought... still not convinced about AJ's ablity to take a punch

there won't be another rematch I'd have thought... still not convinced about AJ's ablity to take a punch

Maybe, but in the first fight Ruiz caught Joshua round the side of the head, above the ear, and he was semi concussed for most of that fight.

Bloss

I don't know if it's rose-tinted-spectacles but boxing seemed so much more exciting in the 80s/90s. I used to really enjoy watching Mike Tyson, Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank.

A pretty dull fight, Joshua came with a plan and executed it perfectly. The only surprise was that Ruiz, miles behind on points, didn't take a few more chances in the last two rounds and try and knock him out. It would have been a much more interesing fight if he had scored the knock out or been knocked out trying.

Joshua, ultimately, is an amazing physical specifimen but pretty limited as a fighter - a modern day Frank Bruno, somewhat stiff and lacking in lateral movement and unable to take a big hit. Against Ruiz he looked nervous to throw combinations for fear of being countered, hence why he was reduced to string of point scoring jabs and not much else. Does this need a rematch? No.

I don't know if it's rose-tinted-spectacles but boxing seemed so much more exciting in the 80s/90s. I used to really enjoy watching Mike Tyson, Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank.

Good days indeed. Mike was 190lb at 12 years old (!) - Interesting interview on Mike Tyson pre fame:

Ample talent in the LW division.

Luke Campbell held a good account of himself vs Loma. Not enough though. Loma vs Haney will be interesting if/when it happens.

Ruiz shafted himself by not training properly -- wealth belly going into such a fight wasn't a good idea. I imagine he regrets it now. Props to AJ.

A pretty dull fight, Joshua came with a plan and executed it perfectly. The only surprise was that Ruiz, miles behind on points, didn't take a few more chances in the last two rounds and try and knock him out. It would have been a much more interesing fight if he had scored the knock out or been knocked out trying.

Joshua, ultimately, is an amazing physical specifimen but pretty limited as a fighter - a modern day Frank Bruno, somewhat stiff and lacking in lateral movement and unable to take a big hit. Against Ruiz he looked nervous to throw combinations for fear of being countered, hence why he was reduced to string of point scoring jabs and not much else. Does this need a rematch? No.
He's a much better fighter than Frank Bruno

Perfectly summed up.

AJ will struggle with the reach & punch power of Wilder and would be out-boxed by Fury.

Last edited:
^^ +1.

Fury too skilled, with movement which isn't typical for a HW -- I think he is the best current HW by quite a distance. Wilder is a freak, probably the biggest puncher we will ever see. He was losing every round against Ortiz, one bomb straight down the pipe was all she wrote.

I hope we get to see AJ fight Wilder and Fury. Pulev looks likely for AJ next, then Ussyk. No doubt Hearn will be looking to cash in with the easiest of opportunities again, this is the frustrating part of boxing - too much money involved.

I have a small wish-list for next year: Clinelo v BJS / C.Smith. If the BJS against David Lemuix turns up (best fight of 2018 and 2019 IMO) it could be a great fight. GGG should hang up his gloves. I've huge respect for him, can't help but feel he is becoming less effective with each fight.
Wilder and Whyte would be interesting. Whyte, having been cleared should be mandatory for winner of Fury Wilder. This could pave the way for a very big fight with AJ.

advertisement

Back