advertisement

Rugby World Cup

wacko

pfm Member
England play on Sunday, but before that All Blacks vs Boks on Saturday is surely going to be one of the highlights.

My Saturday morning is already set to watch that All Blacks game. You ain't shifting me for anything! There's nothing like a Haka to get you in the right frame of mind :)

Saw a great video about the significance of the Haka and how it is, in fact, a sign of respect to opponents. No doubting it's effect on team spirit.

Saw a great video about the significance of the Haka and how it is, in fact, a sign of respect to opponents. No doubting it's effect on team spirit.

Judging by the looks on their opponents faces they don’t seem to be aware of this !

I'm a bit surprised by that draw...is it really an open lottery, the 1st round draw? Japan, the hosts have by chance drawn the tourny's weakest team in Russia (well arguably weakest), We have Fiji, but NZ and SA??? They must be cursing. You need your best team in play but injury risks are high in that game i'd guess...any key injuries there may well dictate the outcome of the whole tournament.
Anyway what are our predictions...
I'd hope for first round results showing pool A winners and second as Ireland Scotland (but Japan may well sneak in if Finn Russell isn't firing for Scotland).
Pool B should be NZ, and SA 2nd
Pool C all depends on the French mood, but I'm going for England , then Argentina
Pool D will be Australia Wales in either order. Maybe Australia1?
so...
England vs wales = England (ofc)
NZ vs Japan or Scotland = NZ
OZ vs Argetina = OZ
Ireland vs SA...? either way. Let's guess Ireland, No. 1 in the world must count for something.
Then it's England vs NZ
and OZ vs Ireland

and then ofc, England lifts the cup.

Have just watched the opening ceremony - stunning. I'm sure much of the actual rugby will live up to it. NZ vs South Africa a mouth watering prospect and that match is tomorrow morning!

I saw a film of NZ military seeing off a fallen comrade with a Haka - prob on YouTube. It’s very difficult not to be deeply affected by it.

In a sense most exciting matches will be where the 3rd favourite is trying to unseat 1st/2nd. Top teams wary of early injuries and uncertain whether to play all best players. Even uncertain whether winning or losing gets an easier opponent later on...
Don't spill your coffee during the haka

Japan/Russia and Aus/Fiji have been very exciting matches played in an open style. The pitches look a dream to play on. Looks like being a great competition.

Ireland looking like they may well go on and be real contenders, but Scotland? Not so much. With Finn and etc shut down Scotland just can't find alternatives.

sadly I agree...they just don't look like an international team, unsurprising given that there are only two big rugby clubs in Scotland to pick from (well ok there are only 2 in the pro 14). It's 'go, be brave, keep your spirits up and come home (early)'. And, having just seen the match ending, the coaching team has got to be in the spotlight. Plan A was known worldwide and Ireland just negated it with ease, plan B doesn't exist apparently.

...and now for some brutality:) lets hope England can get through the next game without serious injury. We should win, but battered we will surely be.

advertisement

Back