advertisement

RSD 2022 List

Amusing rant from a man with more multiple-copies of any given album than any collector I’ve ever personally met, and one who recently flipped a $60 Third Man McCartney album for $2600!

I have next to no interest in owning multiple copies of a title unless I’m incubating some to flip or keeping them as an investment. From memory the only sealed records I have are the Manchester Art Gallery Joy Division & New Order (stunning investments, from £35 to >£150 a piece in just a few years), the anniversary Unknown Pleasures with the white sleeve as I thought it looked cool, the recent book format Radiohead Kid Amnesia (buyers remorse/investment, I just decided I didn’t need it), and a signed blue vinyl copy of Emma Jean Thackray’s Yellow, which I’ll likely keep despite having the apparently more collectable yellow vinyl as I just love the album.

The duplicates are similarly few and far between, e.g. I’ve got a RVG-stamped Liberty and a Japanese copy of Adderley’s Somethin’ Else, the Nimbus and Classic Records of KoB and the Acoustic Sounds and a Japanese copy of Blues And The Abstract Truth. I’m pretty sure that’s it. No dupes, just keep the best copy, flip the runner-up unless it is very, very confusing indeed!

I do get the FOMO thing though, but that’s a huge advantage of having a record shop. Assuming I buy wisely, or the title is rare enough I can move on at no loss (or better) if I decide the music isn’t for me. I’ve done this with a fair few very limited things, e.g. I’ve got a couple of Weird Beard psych/Kraut albums in the shop (250 limited editions) that despite really liking much of the label’s output didn’t quite hit the spot for me personally. With that sort of number if you don’t buy pretty damn fast you don’t get it at all, so buying, trying and then deciding to keep or flip is a valid strategy IMO.

PS I’m not counting remixes, e.g. I’ve got a few (very) different 12” mixes of some of the ZTT stuff (Propaganda, FGTH etc).

PPS Astonishing how much the Discogs collection “value” fluctuates, it’s like watching stocks! Today’s “value” as of right now is med £55,369.07, max £106,728.67. I bet the guy in the video has a staggering figure as at this point in time Beatles and other stuff of that age is still really riding high. I have very little of that stuff, mine is the next generation along mixed with a lot of jazz and avant garde/minimalist classical stuff.

I can't help the collecting bug - I do have multiple copies of quite a few titles (eg Marquee Moon) simply on a pride of ownership thing because I love the music so much - I won't sell any of them though;)

I do get the FOMO thing though

I still occasionally fall for the FOMO thing but when I miss something there's always another interesting record just around the corner. No big deal.

I think the only one I really regret not buying is the Aphex Twin Analord 10 12" with tacky 'leather effect' plastic binder. £40 seemed a lot at the time. Now it goes for a grand.

edit: actually also the Aphex Twin Field Day LP. Was working late the night before and got to the festival too late to buy one... £300 now.

I can't help the collecting bug - I do have multiple copies of quite a few titles (eg Marquee Moon) simply on a pride of ownership thing because I love the music so much - I won't sell any of them though;)

That’s one on my upgrade list, I’ve got a A1/B1 UK 1st press, the vinyl is a real nice strong EX, but the sleeve is only a VG and its missing the printed inner. Sounds great, so really I’m just looking for one in the opposite condition to make a nice one out of!

PS In hindsight buying everything Aphex Twin ever released at least once would have been a great investment strategy. I’ve got Analogue Bubblebath V3, Druqs and Syro on vinyl, plus a couple of 12” singles. Druqs being one of my most valuable records at £500 or more (and mine is mint unlike the vast majority of Discogs examples).

I still occasionally fall for the FOMO thing but when I miss something there's always another interesting record just around the corner. No big deal.

I have the opposite - a fear of getting involved (FOGI) - always late to the party as a result as my posting history will testify.

There is so much confusion about these tapes as they just won’t be honest about what was lost in the fire. I was under the impression the masters were gone for much of it, but all the time new issues come out claiming to be mastered from tape. I’m not in for this one as I have the ‘Heavyweight Champion’ box of all the Atlantic stuff (I actually have it duplicated on both vinyl and CD), and whilst I’d swap it for even good early-70s US pressings, let alone originals in a heartbeat, it is good enough. I don’t think it is sourced from the original master tapes though, but I may be wrong.

There is so much confusion about these tapes as they just won’t be honest about what was lost in the fire. I was under the impression the masters were gone for much of it, but all the time new issues come out claiming to be mastered from tape. I’m not in for this one as I have the ‘Heavyweight Champion’ box of all the Atlantic stuff (I actually have it duplicated on both vinyl and CD), and whilst I’d swap it for even good early-70s US pressings, let alone originals in a heartbeat, it is good enough. I don’t think it is sourced from the original master tapes though, but I may be wrong.

If says clearly 'original tapes' - that to me suggests perhaps contemporaneous duplicates perhaps? It's tapes - plural. Gray's not going to tarnish his reputation putting out a crappy master of such an important and high profile album. Sounds pretty good to me - they pulled out all the stops for this I reckon :)

Here's Fremer reporting

"The original mono tape was thought to be lost in a fire but was in fact re boxed in a plain case and lost , then rediscovered. The authenticity is identified by the edits on the tape. This is the official line from Warner music group and is backed up from us [ERC]. Great to release on the 60 th anniversary."

https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...tranes-my-favorite-things-found-erc-releasing

Edit - the mono record is the better to my ears, by far.

Last edited:
If says clearly 'original tapes' - that to me suggests perhaps contemporaneous duplicates perhaps? It's tapes - plural. Gray's not going to tarnish his reputation putting out a crappy master of such an important and high profile album. Sounds pretty good to me - they pulled out all the stops for this I reckon :)

Here's Fremer reporting

"The original mono tape was thought to be lost in a fire but was in fact re boxed in a plain case and lost , then rediscovered. The authenticity is identified by the edits on the tape. This is the official line from Warner music group and is backed up from us [ERC]. Great to release on the 60 th anniversary."

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/lost-mono-master-coltranes-omy-favorite-things-found-erc-releasing

Edit - the mono record is the better to my ears, by far.

If we are talking about the original masters of the recordings sessions then it is probably multiple tape(S) as it was recorded on three dates:
My Favourite Things 21 Oct. 1960
Every Time We Say Goodbye 26 Oct 1960
Summertime 24 Oct 1960
But Not For Me 26th Oct 1960
There were tracks recorded for Giant Steps and Ole recorded in these sessions as well. I had assumed that My Favourite Things Master Tape was made up from the spliced tracks in each of these sessions, but it was also likely, very likely that the Mono was a fold down from the stereo as a transfer to produce a ‘production tape’ for the final album. They may have been running both Mono and Stereo Tape recorders at the sessions and that would seem to be the case if what Fremer and ERC is saying is true.

I’m tempted by this version because of the alternate takes, but I have a 70’s UK reissue, The Atlantic Years Mono Vinyl Box Set (that includes the 7” versions) and the CD box set of the Heavy Weight Champion so I should show some restraint and pass.

Gavreid,
It seems very strange that the timings for the alternate takes on that entry are exactly the same as the originals. You would expect some variation, not the same down to the second. Are they listed on the LP’s like that? Or did the person who listed just guess? Is there any info on these takes in the booklet and do you hear much difference?

Gavreid,
It seems very strange that the timings for the alternate takes on that entry are exactly the same as the originals. You would expect some variation, not the same down to the second. Are they listed on the LP’s like that? Or did the person who listed just guess? Is there any info on these takes in the booklet and do you hear much difference?

They're printed on the sleeve - but as you say that is a reproduction of the original artwork, I believe! Actual times are not stated on the records themselves. I'll look into it today.

I'm sure we've all mislaid the odd book or CD but I can honestly say I've never once put an original Coltrane master tape back in the wrong box and lost it. Jeez.
Paul,
Happens on more than a few occasions according to Joe Harley at least for Blue Note where he and the guy at Iron Mountain found some tapes that were thought to be missing in the incorrect box when looking for something else.

advertisement

Back