advertisement

RSD 2022 List

Actually there are a few interesting things this year - two different Bill Evans live albums plus the Mingus Ronnie Scotts 3xLP.

Also interested in the Speed, Glue & Shinki and Victor Vaughan LPs.

one or two bits that are of interest to me , £££'s permitting!
be interesting to see how much 7X Ramones albums will be?!?!

I'm not a massive fan of RSD for a variety of reasons, but fall for it every year :D

Lots of records on that list that interest me. I bet Wembley ‘72 is a killer! Hopefully COVID is in full retreat by April 23rd. Would love a chance to shop for a few of these limited/exclusive titles. It would also be fun to once again elbow and/or hip-check some self-absorbed hipsters.

301640-F1-33-EB-4153-8954-5-DB2720-CDA29.jpg

Hasaan Ibn Ali will be tempting if the price is right.

Although having said that I bought Metaphysics recently and it's actually quite crap, ruined by some awful sax work. This one's all solo I think.

Brexit and the pandemic, plus vinyl production capacity allegedly being nearly 100% consumed by demand for Adele and Taylor Swift, is certainly holding back vinyl distribution. Of some I pre-ordered last year, one due for release last Nov finally arrived this month, one crowd-sourced in lockdown was cancelled and one Bandcamp release due in Nov/Dec is TBC. I think some RSD shops worry about getting stock that won't shift and get stuck with items that they later have to discount if they can't also get rid online and no longer participate - I know of one of my regular haunts that dipped out of the last couple of events.

Personally I like RSD, and especially after the tough times shops have had in the last 2 years. I always buy more than I meant to and often non-RSD releases I find while browsing. That said, the RSD releases are becoming less interesting and more expensive and I do hate finding them on Discogs a week or so afterwards at inflated prices. The Kenny Garrett on this list is the one that piques my interest and would be searching out.

Does anyone know anything about the Freddie Hubbard release?
Freddie Hubbard Music Is Here – Live At Maison de la Radio (ORTF), Paris 1973 - Wewantsounds

One each, only ;)
It is only the mono of ‘AP Meets’ RSD that is I limited. There is a stereo that Forms part of the Contemporary 70th Anniversary releases now due on 18th March:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08Z2T6TVP/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Art Pepper + 11 also due:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08Z5TLGBB/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Both were originally due last year, but have been delayed for the usual reasons.
https://mobile.twitter.com/CraftRecordings/status/1466437103890448394?s=20

Supposedly AAA mastered by Bernie Grundman, Pressed by QRP,
https://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/the-rhythm-section-limited-180gram-audiophile-vinyl-lp/98220.htm
but have seen elsewhere via 24/196 digital?

I have decent UK contemporary reissues of both so will probably pass.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
What would you choose, Jim, for Meets, Mono or Stereo? I have the OJC on CD, which is stereo. There was an early Stereo release (here) but the first, in 1957, was in Mono.

What would you choose, Jim, for Meets, Mono or Stereo? I have the OJC on CD, which is stereo. There was an early Stereo release (here) but the first, in 1957, was in Mono.
Gavreid,
Sorry I was slightly confused as it was early in the morning when I posted (insomnia), but I wasn’t fully awake and not near my records (my excuse :rolleyes:).

What I have is the ‘Art Pepper + Eleven’ Stereo UK Boplicity licensed pressing, not date listed on Discogs, but bought 1980’s.

I don’t have ‘Meets The Rhythm Section’ on vinyl. The other I have is ‘Smack UP’ Stereo, US 1962 I think, but possibly Org?

‘Meets’ was recorded in 1957 and ‘Eleven’ in 1959. Generally, but not always, I prefer monos for pre 1960’s Jazz as usually very left right from 2 or sometimes 3 track tapes. From memory my ‘Eleven’ Stereo does not have much spread though, I’ll give it a spin later. Joe Harley makes a good case for the early stereo Van Gelder Blue Notes in Stereo, but I don’t always agree, especial when just the bass and drums are to one side and horns to the other.

Looks like I will be up for ‘Meets’ then, but I’m not up to standing in line early outside a record shop these days that may or may not have a copy when you get to the front. So I will go for the stereo. I can always play it with my mono cartridge. :D

advertisement

Back