advertisement

RP3 bearing issue

plimpington2

pfm Member
I have an RP3 wherein the sub-platter seems to foul on the "stressed beam". I note that the platter is not level when the table is - the arm side of the platter runs about 3mm closer to the plinth than the opposite side.

No clue why. I suspect the hole for the bearing was not drilled through the plinth quite perpendicular. Anyway, so I took the bearing out. My question is, there is a larger metal washer between the nut and the underside of the bearing. However, no similar washer is present on the top side. Is this the way the table is supposed to be? Or is mine missing a washer? (not that this would solve the poorly leveled platter/subplatter).

Judd

They don't have a top washer, the lip around the top of the bearing housing sits directly in contact with the plinth. The bottom washer spreads load and aids correct tension when clamping the bearing. If the top lip of the bearing housing sits flush and level with the top of the plinth then the discrepancy is either within the bearing housing itself or you have a slight warp in the plinth. Take it to your Rega dealer, I'm sure it can be sorted easily and fairly inexpensively. If it is the bearing housing, then a new bearing and subplatter assembly is cheap.

I had a P2 with the hole not straight. I suspect that it's a common failing, fixed by drilling it straight as they should have done in the factory.They are simple beasts, ifbyou can't fix it a dealer will. He won't drill the hole straight though, you need a pillar drill and a big drill bit for that.

advertisement

Back