advertisement

[FS] Royd "The Sorcerer" loudspeakers

2by2

pfm Member
Re-posting this ad to include option of shipping.

I have a pair of walnut Royd Sorcerors for sale. I bought these from a gentleman called Peter at The Studio in north London in 2003 (just checked the receipt). He had taken them back from a customer in p/e. Some time around 2011 after a little experimentation I moved them out of my system, to be replaced, for a time, with a pair of RR2s. I packed them up carefully with the intention of selling but could never quite bring myself to do it somehow. Anyway, some years later here we are. They are in very good condition, with just one noticeable "dink" to a back edge (<1cm long), as per photo, and are working perfectly. There are spike holes and marks to the bottoms, of course.

I'm in north London (N5) and would prefer collection. However, as all the interest to date seems to have been from outside London I am now willing to ship.

Technical info can be found here: https://www.roydaudio.org/models/sorcerer/

Asking £600 including shipping, or £550 for collection.

(BTW, the Linn Kan stands in the photos and potentially included previously have been sold to a nice local chap).

P1000319 by Richard Thomas, on Flickr

P1000325 by Richard Thomas, on Flickr

P1000321 by Richard Thomas, on Flickr

P1000327 by Richard Thomas, on Flickr

IMG_2456 by Richard Thomas, on Flickr

P1000326 by Richard Thomas, on Flickr

IMG_2457 by Richard Thomas, on Flickr

P1000285 by Richard Thomas, on Flickr

BTW, should have stated it in the original post, but price assumes UK posting only.

Interestingly there have been a pair of Sorcerers knocking around on eBay at various prices and now showing as £9999.99......

I'm in south London and the idea of trying to drive through town to get these sort of puts me off.

Let me think about logistics and whether I am travelling around the M25 at all soon.

Interestingly there have been a pair of Sorcerers knocking around on eBay at various prices and now showing as £9999.99......
Same seller also has a Quad FM2 for the same price, so I wouldn't read too much into the pricing of that particular pair :D

This pair on here look great and well priced I would have thought.

I'm in south London and the idea of trying to drive through town to get these sort of puts me off.

Let me think about logistics and whether I am travelling around the M25 at all soon.

I’m in zone 2 (Highbury) so that sounds a long way round, but of course I don’t know where you’re starting out. I bought a fairly chunky guitar combo amp recently from someone in Richmond and did the whole thing via the Overground with a luggage trolley. Actually quite painless.

I'm actually just where the M23 joins the M25 so sometimes going round might be easier. I do go up the M11 fairly regularly and suspect that would be the easiest way to get to you

Last edited:
I sold an immaculate pair of these up about 4 years ago. Paid £350 for them and ended up letting them go for £250 as I needed to clear them out. Just saying.

I sold an immaculate pair of these up about 4 years ago. Paid £350 for them and ended up letting them go for £250 as I needed to clear them out. Just saying.

Many thanks for that. I struggled to find any reference points for pricing, and went with the few examples I could find. I did have some replies suggesting the pricing was good, so it's a bit confusing. I suspect this is not a good time generally, though. Will reflect and maybe re-post - not being able to edit posts to amend prices is a right PITA. Meanwhile, open to offers, particularly from those able to collect.

Honestly I think they are a bit expensive. I know they are rare but it is a lot of money. I recently bought a pair of a Merlins that are mint for £300. The Merlins are very closed in spec to the sorcerers. Just trying to help give you a perspective on price points. Hope it helps a bit.

The sorcerer is a higher spec model than the Merlin Tim. I'd put the sintra above the merlin and the sorcerer above the sintra, with a powerful amp.
I wouldn't be suprised if the right buyer would pay top dollar for a nice pair like these, but you just need the right buyer.

Many thanks for that. I struggled to find any reference points for pricing, and went with the few examples I could find. I did have some replies suggesting the pricing was good, so it's a bit confusing. I suspect this is not a good time generally, though. Will reflect and maybe re-post - not being able to edit posts to amend prices is a right PITA. Meanwhile, open to offers, particularly from those able to collect.
I wouldn't budge on price. These are the sought after Royd speaker & top of the range back then. They sold for £600 new & most Royd's go for around the original asking price.

Times have changed over the last few years with vintage hifi, especially rare stuff.

They are marked correctly as far as i can see. I sold a pair a couple of years ago for this price on Ebay & as per usual they went to China via the global shipping programme.

Honestly I think they are a bit expensive. I know they are rare but it is a lot of money. I recently bought a pair of a Merlins that are mint for £300. The Merlins are very closed in spec to the sorcerers. Just trying to help give you a perspective on price points. Hope it helps a bit.
Merlin were £300 when new, Sorcerer £600.

Didn't I sell you a pair of BNIB Sintras for £160? :)
I wouldn't budge on price. These are the sought after Royd speaker & top of the range back then. They sold for £600 new & most Royd's go for around the original asking price.

Times have changed over the last few years with vintage hifi, especially rare stuff.

They are marked correctly as far as i can see. I sold a pair a couple of years ago for this price on Ebay & as per usual they went to China via the global shipping programme.
In that case the advice should be to stick them on e bay with international postage. I struggled to sell mine in the UK on PFM for half that and should have probably done the same.

Many thanks for all the input, everyone, most helpful. I'm not in a rush but happy to listen to offers! They really are lovely little things. Will also consider the Ebay / China option.

advertisement

Back