advertisement

Royd Speakers

Shropshire Lad

Hi, I have a pair of Royd Sorcerers and the bass unit has blown on one. it looks ok, but first there was a vibration at certain frequencies, then it just packed up. Any idea where I might find one? Did Joe make these himself or did he modify commercial ones? If so, which ones? Any help would be appreciated.
L

Don't know the Sorcerer's, but if it's anything like the Minstrel driver, can be rebuilt. Something of a PITA these Royd-built drivers, but can be done.

take the unit out, put a MM from one terminal to other- if 6 ohms ish or 8.. then the coil is intact, and look twds one of the few crossover components. bit of basic trial and error should find the culprit. then, if up and running and the vibration still there, its likely either A) the alu cylinder which slides over the centre bit is rubbing, and can be fixed by VERY carefully inserting say a round of stiff paper easing any gubbins. or B) the vol may have been up high (?), or general useage, and this alu has warped and been damaged (and/or the coil itself on its outside), irrepairably. Im afraid its likely B, small chance A. but hope for you I may be wrong.

check with bourney 1st though, as the sorcerors unit may not be the one Im thinking of.

Have a word with the nice guys at Phonography, they have (or used to have) access to a good few old Royd speaker spares.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. I rang Phonography and they have some spares. Really nice guys as you say, SteveB. I wil try you suggestion, Captain, but I think you may well be right!
Virtual (sadly) beers all round!
Les

advertisement

Back