advertisement

Royd Sapphire Foam

Konteebos

Surfing on the lake of fire
Does anyone know if you can buy new foam for Royd Sapphires? I sold my old set to my brother-in-law about 20 years ago and they are still providing sterling service, but the foam covers are turning to dust. Some speakers look OK with the covers off, but not these Royds.

I was meaning the acoustic foam grills, rather than the woofer surrounds.

I should have read that properly then... are you sure yours are using foam? I thought all Sapphires used cloth, which is fairly easy to sort. Note that the frame has a specific shape to suit the speakers, of which there aren't any replacements available.

No worries, I wasn't as clear as I should have been. These one definitely have acoustic foam grills with chamfered edges. Most of the pictures on the internet show different grills, but I bought these new from Stereo Stereo in Glasgow and they came with these grills.

Forum member Markie does bespoke foam grills for a number of classic speakers. As recently as last October he quoted £35.00 per pair plus £6.00 for UK postage for replacement Rega Kyte grills.

See post #10 in the 'How High can a Kyte Fly?' thread.

Forum member Markie does bespoke foam grills for a number of classic speakers. As recently as last October he quoted £35.00 per pair plus £6.00 for UK postage for replacement Rega Kyte grills.

See post #10 in the 'How High can a Kyte Fly?' thread.
Thanks!

I should have read that properly then... are you sure yours are using foam? I thought all Sapphires used cloth, which is fairly easy to sort. Note that the frame has a specific shape to suit the speakers, of which there aren't any replacements available.
I’d happily trace the frames on my Sapphires, it’d be really easy to knock up some cloth grilles.

It looks like just a foam covered wooden frame, in which case you just buy some new grill fabric.

You can get it from Wilmslow audio, Falcon acoustics and various ebay peddlers inexpensively

It looks like just a foam covered wooden frame, in which case you just buy some new grill fabric.

You can get it from Wilmslow audio, Falcon acoustics and various ebay peddlers inexpensively
These ones don't have a wooden frame, just a thick foam grill, held on with velcro.

advertisement

Back