advertisement

Royd Audio

I disagree with you Minstrel, just as it is your prerogative to disagree with me.

It not a particularly 'clever marketing decision'. Anyone can buy an established name, if the seller wants to sell and a price is agreed.

Buying the Royd name does not make the new speaker a Royd, nor does it fool anyone that the Royd 'brand' is alive and well. BMW Mini bears no relation to the original. But the new product was good so people accepted it.

Equally the speakers that Adam makes may be fabulous and they will largely stand or fall based on this, not the fact that he bought the rights to the Royd name.

Anyone with enough money can buy a 'name' or brand. Making a good product is an entirely different proposition.

Fine as you are perfectly entitled to post your thoughts. You are not wrong with the facts. I just think you have been blunt which looks like you are running these guys down. Clearly you dont like the idea of someone else using the Royd name.

It was a sad day for the speaker industry when Joe Ackroyd retired. Nobody was in place to carry it on which is a great shame.

Im just saying that I like the idea because I see it as a nod of respect. It is clever because I want to listen to these new speakers. People will accept good products as a new era and a tribute to the original Royd name. We know they are not speakers created by Joe Ackroyd. We also have the benefit of products which a competent engineer can strip down and compare.

They are not boxing up Royds and passing them off as originals from the back of a van. Its Royd 2 if you like from people who respect the original Royd brand.

Much better than if it ends up on a Chinese radio or something. Cant you see that if they are a modern improvement, then having a Royd badge will be a lovely tribute and talking point.

Ha !
I couldn't give 2 hoots who uses the Royd name. My point is buying the Royd name and making your own speakers does not make them Royd's.

Like BMW making a mini? Or even Alan Shaw making Harbeths?

Give the fella a chance, let's hear them and see if they have that free rolling, balls out, brakes off sound that we all love and associate with the brand. A brave move so good luck with the design, the old speakers are a hard act to follow but if you can capture the energy and verve of the originals in a similar looking package then surely we are better with these speakers available than not.

And I'm a big Royd fan.

moreover, and to the Royd name debate, ain't e.g. Naim doing the same sonics-wise, w/o the name change, in their all-black series as they did in the Olive or, God save, CB series? it's progress, one'd say - but the new and old Naim gear are still quite different-sounding for sure... so what the heck if someone has revived a well-regarded name in hi-fi and makes a worthy output to it? now't wrong with that IMHO - rather, just let the guys work up to what they aimed at, and share their success if they've managed to, together with the newcomers to the lovely (new) Royd shores :)

Wow, I've not checked in on this thread for a while and it seems to have evolved to say the least. I'm not sure where to begin.

In response to some posts yes they are Royd speakers as they are designed and built within the Royd company and under the brand, no they are not designed by Joe Ackroyd that isn't possible, but what we have tried to do is build on what he has already achieved using the technology available to us today. This is a fine line to tread, but just duplicating his designs isn't what I wanted to do, they had to evolve.

No I am not an audio engineer and have never claimed to be, I am a product designer [not just a web designer as some have commented] with a passion for music and I am fortunate to have the talents of a very gifted audio engineer and production engineer supporting me. The reason for resurrecting the brand was not to parasite off the back of it, but to reinvigorate an actual bonafide British loudspeaker company and bring a new aspect to it.

Making judgements at the moment without having yet heard the design is a little premature. I hope that when we are ready to showcase the design you will listen to what we have worked hard to achieve. So far I've spoken about the new design and only a handful of people have heard them. Members on other forums have thrown scorn on the enterprise saying it is a scam and that makes me rather sad but even more resolute.

We are working to complete the first public demonstration pair as fast as is physically possible. I went into this knowing that there would be a fair amount of criticism especially amongst those who actually knew Joe. All I can say is that as soon as we are happy we have something for you to hear you will be invited to hear it, then you really can judge for yourself on it's merits and without prejudice. Yes they are made in England and not China.

I've had the email with the photos. They certainly look the part with more than a nod towards the Minstrel with a Doublet type curved base. I'd love to hear these.

Yes, they look very smart.

I quite liked my old Doublets, but they didn't work well firing down the room for
some reason..........

Thanks if you're on the email list you'll get a separate invite to the preview. If you can't make that then I'm sure we can sort something out.

Hello everybody

After following this forum for a long time, I just decided to register because of this topic.

I live in Portugal and I'm a proud user and admirer of Royd speakers (a pair of Minstrels and a pair of Squires, both bought second hand and both late models). So it was with some trepidation that I found news about the revival of the brand.

I wish the best luck to the new owner and hope the new Royds will be so great as the original Minstrels which, for my taste and together with the Apex/ Ela, are absolute audio classics. Mine still sound wonderfully and I certainly welcome an up-to-date alternative, if only to replace mine if they decide to die on me.

Hope the newcomers sound as good as they look...

Hi Jayvee thanks for making the effort to post on this thread. We hope you'll like our new speakers too :)

I dropped in for a quick cuppa at Adam's today and got a little more than I bargained for! He had the new Royd loudspeakers on test so I was able to sit down and listen, not only that, but A - B them to a pair of original Minstrels.

From the first track of the XX these little things had something quite special!

We moved them around the room, even very close together either side of the fire place and right back up to the wall which had little effect on the overall sound, showing they are reasonably unaffected by placement.

When testing back to back with the Minstrels I did think they lacked a bit of punch but Adam swapped them over, ports firing out, not toward each other and there was an immediate change in attack and punch, easily as good as the Minstrels (...) QUOTE

Today, after glueing a missing badge to one of them, I hooked my Squires (Totem Arro-like woofer model - Peerless?) to the Exons and I remembered this post: from past experience in different rooms, I usually get better results with the ports firing out both in Squires and Minstrels.

However, in my months-old semi-treated "music room" and listening to orchestral music, Squires are sounding much better and weightier with the ports looking at each other... They also lap every watt they can get out of the Exons (I don't believe in the claimed 87.5 db sensitivity).

I hope Exons will be enough to drive the new Royds.

I just wanted to add to the voices on this thread.

I had the pleasure of listening to the new Royd speakers at Adam's house recently and they sound just lovely. I never heard any original Royds but these speakers certainly have a nod to all of the things I have read about them.

I really hope Adam manages to get these speakers launched and selling, having a British brand manufacturing in the UK will certainly be a boon.

Adam has thrown his heart and soul into this venture and the quality of the speaker finish I looked at is certainly testament to all that hard work.

Best of luck Adam.

Stefan

Good luck with your venture and lets hope your future products are at least as good as the old Royd.

p.s. drove a new mini this week as my BMW is being repaired, not impressed at all, I prefer the original ones, much more fun.

Thank you, were happy with the results and hope everyone else will be. I've been quiet lately as we are producing examples of our final production models in all the finishes that will be available for launch.

hi Adam, just a shout, though I did register for your news letter I seem not getting any, not even the 1st (if there was one as such) - I wonder why, please?

Hi, it's a quirk of mailchimp that sends out only the most recent newsletter to the date you sign up. August has been so frantic that I haven't penned one but there will be one with an announcement next week. I'll make sure you get the latest.

I've just sent out our latest news letter, for those who aren't subscribed I'd like to announce that we will be launching the new Royd Loudspeakers at the National Audio Show in a few weeks time.

Join us in Syndicate Room 21 and be the first to hear them. Exclusive to the show, we will be offering a discount on all purchases of our speakers over this 48 hour period. Prices and finish options will be displayed online.

Visit our website and sign up to our newsletter before the show to take advantage of the offer between September 20th - 21st when our web shop goes live.

All the best with the launch - hope it goes well. I really like the look of the Troubador, particularly the colour options. Valchromat looks like interesting stuff. Is there any laquer-type finish applied? Though they look great without them, any plans to produce grilles for those of us who share a space with small curious children?

Hi Barkiss, in answer to your question there is a satin lacquer finish applied to the Valchromat, which brings out the colour and protects the surface. There are no grille options at this stage but it's something that has been mentioned before. WHile I'm not planning on releasing that option I could look into something bespoke for you if you are interested in purchasing the Troubadour.

advertisement

Back