advertisement

Roy Gregory reviews the Living Voice Vox Olympians

Here is DQ's review .

The Living Voice Vox's arrived at my home unexpectedly as I am only a pretend hifi journalist. I looked at the price .I sent them back unpacked .

I can't read Roy Gregory's prose these days - I don't have the patience.

I couldn't help but notice this though.

Cables are elevated on Ayre myrtle-wood blocks or HECC Panda Feet

I simply can't take the man seriously - although I have little doubt that Kevin's speakers are magnificent on some music.

I personally think I'd spend half a million on something a little less ostentatious and showy.

I simply can't take the man seriously - although I have little doubt that Kevin's speakers are magnificent on some music.

I personally think I'd spend half a million on something a little less ostentatious and showy.

Yeah that takes it into "file under nutters" territory :D

Well, if you have to *think* about spending half a million, you probably aren't their target market. :p

It's nice that Kevin is doing this, few things are driven by a real passion and obsession these days, which is a shame.

I could do with some sound boxes in the drawing room on the lower floor of the east wing. These look tickety boo and might just be the thing. I'll send out my man to have a shuffty at them.

Kevin is a lovely guy and is as driven as anyone I've ever met. I was lucky enough to listen to a number of prototypes in Nottingham with him when I was also using TAD drivers.

His system was always impressive although for me it never offered the total coherence that I sought. It did some things so well though that most people would have to reset their understanding of what a hifi can achieve.

Anyway, good luck to Kevin - he's one of the good guys.

Roy Gregory on the other hand.....

Roy Gregory is either an idiot, or writing with his tongue firmly in his cheek. Take this gem from his review:

'Now, ask yourself this: how often do you play string quartets on your system at home? How often have you heard a system that allows you to play and enjoy string quartets? In fact, you might well ask, what’s the point of string quartets, period? Except that just about every major classical composer wrote them, and for many they are considered amongst their major works. Why? Because the instrumentation allows an incisive temporal precision to the playing that, combined with the massive dynamic contrasts available, can create exactly the drama and intensity I described above -- a level of drama and intensity that escapes virtually all audio systems. Indeed, most hi-fi renders string quartets, especially the later examples, as little more than random noise.'

The answers to his first two questions, in my case at least, are: quite often, and almost always. The only system I've owned that failed badly in this respect was based around a Sony turntable, and to be fair, it sounded equally crap playing most types of music.

Which raises an interesting question; what systems has Roy Gregory been listening to that 'render string quartets, especially the later examples, as little more than random noise'? Do they include the many systems he has raved about in various publications over the years?

+1.
I only got as far the the sub-headline:
"Indeed, most hifi renders string quartets, especially the later examples, as little more than random noise"

What a
bragging
cocky
conceited
contemptuous
disdainful
egotistic
haughty
high and mighty
high-handed
imperious
insolent
know-it-all
lordly
on an ego trip
overbearing
peremptory
pompous
presumptuous
pretentious
puffed up
scornful
self-important
smarty
smug
sniffy
snippy
snooty
snotty
stuck up
supercilious
superior
swaggering
uppity
vain
wise guy
twerp.

(Thank you to Thesaraus.com)

Roy Gregory is either an idiot, or writing with his tongue firmly in his cheek. Take this gem from his review:

'Now, ask yourself this: how often do you play string quartets on your system at home? How often have you heard a system that allows you to play and enjoy string quartets? In fact, you might well ask, what’s the point of string quartets, period? Except that just about every major classical composer wrote them, and for many they are considered amongst their major works. Why? Because the instrumentation allows an incisive temporal precision to the playing that, combined with the massive dynamic contrasts available, can create exactly the drama and intensity I described above -- a level of drama and intensity that escapes virtually all audio systems. Indeed, most hi-fi renders string quartets, especially the later examples, as little more than random noise.'

The answers to his first two questions, in my case at least, are: quite often, and almost always. The only system I've owned that failed badly in this respect was based around a Sony turntable, and to be fair, it sounded equally crap playing most types of music.

Which raises an interesting question; what systems has Roy Gregory been listening to that 'render string quartets, especially the later examples, as little more than random noise'? Do they include the many systems he has raved about in various publications over the years?

That particular piece of idiocy leapt out at me: I could have sworn I actually listened to some Brahms and Schumann string quartets earlier today, but now I know it was just noise...And as for the Schubert yesterday and the Moeran...Silly me!

Or else Master Gregory is, to borrow a phrase, a massive idiot!

Let me think...I listened to quartets I know well and recognised as such or Gregory is a massive idiot, who long ago shed any vestige of credibility (Nordost anyone?)?

That's a hard one...

advertisement

Back