advertisement

Rough looking Stuart Tannoys local

Nope. Over-priced for what they are. Value is just the cost of crossovers and drive units and $1500 is quite optimistic unless they can be tested or photos provided, that's a risk. Cabs aren't a good design and best scrapped for good used 12 inch MG cabinets or purpose made new ones. As they've been bashed about, there could be more structural cabinet damage you're not seeing such as cracks to joints etc.

Thanks. I was thinking pretty much the same, but thought he might take substantially less than $1500 since the ebay minimum bid was $1200 and he would still have to pay paypal and ebay fees. I guess we'll see if he gets any bites on ebay in a day.

Assuming the drivers are in good unmolested condition I'd say it wasn't a bad price considering Tannoys are very rare in the US. Good condition Golds are definitely on the way up and I have a feeling these will be the rarer and more sought-after hard-edge variant of the 12" (as opposed to the rubber edge designed for the small Chatsworth cab). If they are local I'd be inclined to see if you can view and test them. As long as the drivers and crossovers are complete, clean, working and un-bodged I'd be very tempted. Just consider the cabs free shipping cartons.

Argh, too many speakers, so little time: also local are a pair of Yamaha NS1000Ms for $600! And I still need to order the bits from Bob Crites to make my DIY Heresys.

I'd be all over a pair of NS1000s for 600 bucks if they are complete and tidy. Seriously, get them right now!

Assuming the drivers are in good unmolested condition I'd say it wasn't a bad price considering Tannoys are very rare in the US. Good condition Golds are definitely on the way up and I have a feeling these will be the rarer and more sought-after hard-edge variant of the 12" (as opposed to the rubber edge designed for the small Chatsworth cab). If they are local I'd be inclined to see if you can view and test them. As long as the drivers and crossovers are complete, clean, working and un-bodged I'd be very tempted. Just consider the cabs free shipping cartons.

I'd probably say that the "He" versions (many of which were not factory but later additions with people like Lockwoods providing the surrounds, and not to be confused with the higher compliance RS models) are not the more sought after Tony, just a later derivative with a higher Fs than the RS version. The MG12RS (LSU/HF/12/8RS) was arguably the more sought after for its lower Fs over the standard one, and with a set of complete and good condition crossovers might possibly be worth £1100, no more. Prices are stabilising now. Perhaps a little more in the USA . It's irrelevant anyway as the advertised ones are clearly standard early LSU/HF/12/8 versions as confirmed by the badging on the rear of the cabinets.

NS1000Ms for a third of the cost? No-brainer!

I'd probably say that the "He" versions (many of which were not factory but later additions with people like Lockwoods providing the surrounds, and not to be confused with the higher compliance RS models) are not the more sought after Tony, just a later derivative with a higher Fs than the RS version.

The hard-edge were fitted as standard in Lancaster cabs, the higher compliance RS in the smaller Chatsworth cabs. I am pretty certain drivers bought loose, as many obviously were at the time, were hard edge, i.e. the rubber surround was added to get the driver to work in such a small cab. Sure, some may have been altered over the years, but they will be a distinct minority as Golds last pretty much forever if not abused.

Actually, Tannoys are not particularly rare in the US and Canada and usually can be found when needed.

The Stuart cabinet was sonically poor but offered only in the US market as a "domestically" sized alternative to the more usual-sized Tannoy box. A feature of the American market models was the nicely executed baffle fretwork but they had little else to commend them and given the damage these examples seemingly have received, the boxes are little more than firewood. :(

I remember looking at pics of the 'Stuart' cabinet before and noting how similar they looked to a pair of Wharfedale Rosedale cabs that I once had in my possession. Wonder if they were made in the same factory?

I'd be all over a pair of NS1000s for 600 bucks if they are complete and tidy. Seriously, get them right now!
I dropped by on my way home to check them out and they are one owner and very tidy. Maybe from 1979 with no grills or provisions for them (metal screen over all drivers). However, I thought I detected some intermittency in the sound coming from the treble unit when playing the only CD the seller had to hand. As we were listening closer, the power went out in the neighborhood! So we decided to resume the dem today - this time I will take my little chip amp and a cable to run from my phone to it, so I can play some test tones. Replacing or fixing 2 tweeters could run $200-$500, so not sure what I'll do if the intermittency is really present. Any thoughts on what could cause that? Fingers crossed they are fine on second listen.

1200 bucks is the minimum going rate over here in the UK for anything actually working with decent cabs when it comes to the 1000s. In other words, even with 5-600 bucks worth of restoration you're probably never going to lose money on them.

Looks like it got relisted with BIN for $1400, and taking offers. New listing has photos of the inside:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=232119229818

Doesn't look good - disintegrating surround?

s-l1600.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not Golds, those are an export variation of the HPD, so later, not as valuable, and will certainly need reconing.

advertisement

Back