advertisement

roon

Reading this thread reinforces why I stick to FM, LP and CD! I was about to say it is faff-less then I remembered my Minidisc player was recently playing up!

As I understand ROCK won’t work with that DAC, if it isn’t picked up natively connecting to the QNAP which is basically a Linux custom distro (or Apple/Win10 natively) then ROCK which is also a custom Linux won’t either.

Have you pinged Vitus Tech - maybe they have beta software drivers or know of similar issues and have a workaround.

You’re saying the clock lock fails, aiui there is wiggle room but if there is too much drift, a few % I think, not very much, you lose the lock.

Have you tried bog standard unshielded cables?

Got a spare switch handy so you go TP Link Router to Switch to Devices.

Reading this thread reinforces why I stick to FM, LP and CD! I was about to say it is faff-less then I remembered my Minidisc player was recently playing up!
FM = annoying people talking

LP = Pops, Clicks and lots of getting up and down plus the illusive hunt for that Album/12” you know you have, maybe....

CD = open the jewel case and 2 things occur - no disk or the wrong disk

Streaming = definition of insanity, run the setup software wizard, it fails, so you run it again and again cos the next time it might be different and work :)

I have a Lindy USB Class 2 cable and the SAEC cable is is also certified Class 2, they both do exactly the same thing. so its not the cable.
Will try the NetGear GS105 switch i have here, but doubt its network related; it plays fine wit other resolution FLAC files.

I’m a long way from knowing much about Roon, though I’ve used it for a few years. Isn’t the idea that you should run Roon core on your NAS, and Roon bridge on your NUC so that the NUC is like a dumb playback endpoint, and hardly has to do anything. Isn’t that Roon’s preferred architecture, ie keep Roon Core with its possible heavy processing away from the playback end of things?

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/sound-quality

Thanks Andy, I may just revert back to this arrangement.

Reason for suggesting cable swap and dropping a switch in is I have had a Zyxel switch that refused to run at max speed and it was an incompatibility with the NIC chips at the other end. Long shot but the Cat8 is shielded and 20x the bandwidth of Cat5 so maybe the TP Link is acting funky with it.

I'll try a different network arrangement, but its all playing perfectly when I have 'full fat' roon installed on the NUC and its outputting via USB to the RD-100s USB input.

Might be a ROON bug, no idea how but yesterday I managed to get everything streaming at double speed, Bowie sounded like Alvin the Chipmunk :) I could select other tracks but same speed up. Restarting the Streamer and ROCK sorted it.

Might be a ROON bug, no idea how but yesterday I managed to get everything streaming at double speed, Bowie sounded like Alvin the Chipmunk :) I could select other tracks but same speed up. Restarting the Streamer and ROCK sorted it.
Was it The Laughing Gnome?

I've heard of this happening (and half speed too) with several brands of equipment and Roon.
The instant (if a little inconvenient) cure is to switch off and on again both the equipment and the software - just like any other computer that plays up.

I've heard of this happening (and half speed too) with several brands of equipment and Roon.
The instant (if a little inconvenient) cure is to switch off and on again both the equipment and the software - just like any other computer that plays up.
It’s been described as a driver issue where the driver fails to communicate the sample rate. Roon have patched this in the past by supplementing the dialogue to the driver.

Today, after a reboot, full-fat roon is also doing the same static/white noise on 24/192 only.. Funnily enough it wasn't/isn't doing this if i use another machine as core, so is it the NUC?

Today, after a reboot, full-fat roon is also doing the same static/white noise on 24/192 only.. Funnily enough it wasn't/isn't doing this if i use another machine as core, so is it the NUC?
NUC Drivers/BIOS all up to date? Made any changes to the USB settings/power management in BIOS? Trying different USB cables and Ports? Simplest solution faulty motherboard.

Are you doing any Roon DSP type stuff? Maybe turn that off temporarily and have a straight through signal path.

Think I've located the issue.
I had my NAS mapped as a network drive in Windows to the NUC and when setting up roon, i pointed it at the :M which I'd mapped from the NAS/share.
So far so good....but I've removed roon and reinstalled rooncore on the NUC, this time I've removed the (windows) mapped M:drive and pointed roon directly at the NAS (\\Share\Music) and its working perfectly. SO FAR!!... well, I haven't done a reboot yet lol.

NUC Drivers/BIOS all up to date? Made any changes to the USB settings/power management in BIOS? Trying different USB cables and Ports? Simplest solution faulty motherboard.
I have intel's Driver assistant installed which updates everything.
Tried different USB ports and cables.
The only change in BIOS made was to set the power setting to 'balanced' and set the fan to 'quiet'

OK so that didn’t resolve the issue either… Still getting white noise/static trying to break through on 24/192 files.
Plays fine with any lower resolution files?
If I play a 16/44 file first, stop it and then play the 24/192 file, it plays perfectly…?
Wondering if I have a faulty NUC? or is this software related?

Also, wasn’t getting this issue with the fanless PC I had briefly before the NUC so that rules out the DAC.

advertisement

Back