advertisement

roon

Roon takes some getting used to - there's a lot there to figure out and get what you want.
Classical music is a little problematic. I also used to divide my albums into works, but in Roon you are better off leaving the albums whole. It will identify them better and then in a search you can still find the individual parts.

Also sometimes you have to try a few search variations to see what works.

Have you found the manual "identify" function? You can get to it by clicking on the "unidentifed" link on any album in the album view that unidentified. That function can also help you identify and label your collection.

roon say there is a new release coming soon .. which should be their most comprehensive update ever! - lets see if its beta or alpha level ;)

Thank you for all the advice and tips you've been giving. I've been surprised by how long it has taken to get my head round using Roon. I wasn't expecting such a steep learning curve.

In response to a question asked up-thread, I've got the Core on a newish laptop, using a wired ethernet connection. I'm still not fully up to speed with successfully selecting full "albums" or works to play; sometimes I manage it, sometimes I don't and it goes off into "radio" half way through. I quite like, Radio, though !
I'm sure the data base is still building itself. I left it on "fast" scanning last night, so I'll see what's happened this morning. There's been lots of good tips and work-arounds on here, which I'll try. The Andoid phone app connects only about 10% of the time, so I'm mostly using the laptop interface.

Is Roon supposed to do anything to the sound ? I assume not. I've switched off the level normalisation setting. I'm not sure how that works. If it introduces some kind of compression, I don't want it on, but if it just boosts or cuts levels without otherwise affecting the sound, it could be quite useful.

The sound is remarkably good, though. The only way I can easily get it into the HiFi is to use Chromecast to a Google dongle which the passes through an HDMI stripper to extract the audio to a toslink output, but it sounds just as good as streaming from the NAS directly using the Primare built in MM30. If I decide to stick with Roon, I may buy a Primare NP5, which is "Roon ready" and has Chromecast built in. It can also control my pre-amp.

Thanks again for all the tips. I'm an old-fashioned chap, really, still stuck in the age of LP, FM and those new-fangled CDs. Computer based audio works for me if it's simple, but a bit like what goes on under the bonnet of the car, I've got some notion, but please don't ask me to meddle !

ROON can manipulate the sound using EQ - gross simplification it’s a fancy tone control, I’d steer clear from delving deeper into the advanced stuff for a wee while. Until all your music has been indexed and the database settled down the Phone App might glitch, if it carries on blipping do a search on the ROON forum or ask on here, I ran the ROON App on a Samsung S10 and matching Tablet for many months up until recently with very few glitches, two or three from memory.

If you stick with it I would definitely look at that Primare NP5 or another dedicated Hi Res streamer to replace the current workaround, it “should” sound better dropping the NP5 in - maybe get a loan/try before you buy off a friendly dealer?

Ive heard it trashes NAS-based cores :eek::D

Danny Dulai, the boss of Roon, describes the imminent new release as “our biggest release ever, addressing many long outstanding issues”.

Not that he has ever acknowledged any outstanding issues with the current release.

Surely it is the nature of all software development that as time goes on it gets both bigger and demands more of the underlying hardware? Just the way of the world. Computer development over time means that code, and lots of it, is cheap.

I am thinking that Roon was not really 'intended' originally to run directly on a NAS core - after all a NAS core does not need much power to do its' file serving job. But some NAS cores were found to be powerful enough and so plenty were put to it with Roon.

I am sure my NAS, which I do not use anyway - hateful thing, would not be able to.

I hope the elderly Mac Mini I use can keep up for as long as possible!

Ouf ! It's one of those evenings ! Nothing seems to be working properly. The computer has suddenly started starting up with number lock off: annoying. The music app is taking ages to connect to the network, but this is just plain weird.

The other evening I was pretty sure that the channels on the system in the front room were reversed. Now, as it had been disconnected, it was possible that I'd made a mistake setting it up again, so this afternoon I loaded a Test CD, with channel checking, onto the NAS. I listened this evening, using Roon via Chromecast into the HiFi. All good ! That's a relief.

After an hour or so, Roon Radio sent me a Bach Cantata I know really well, and it was clear that the channels were reversed, so I replayed the Test CD file in Roon, and lo! left was right and right was left. Fortunately my wife had been listening all evening, so she cold confirm that it had been correct and now wasn't. Not mad after all.

Head scratch, light bulb moment: try straight from the NAS via bubble UPnP into the DAC/streamer card (the CD's in the loft; too lazy!). Left is left and right is right.

How is Roon swapping channels ? Or is it the Chromecast dongle ? (HDMI into an Oppo 103). I expect tomorrow it'll be all right ... until it isn't.

I can't find a setting, and a quick internet search wasn't very useful, apart from something to do with DSP in Roon, which I can't find a setting for on the phone app, but I'm pretty sure isn't be activated anyway. It certainly isn't on the Core on the (other) laptop.

Any comments appreciated.

obviously reboot everything, I realise you would have done this

very odd but appears to be something in the chain from Roon / chromecast and oppo

Can the oppo act as a Roon endpoint? This would isolate the chromecast

can you configure the oppo to use a streaming service (tidal or qobuz) to see what that does, that would isolate the Roon

can you send the audio directly out of the chromecast to the amplifier

neil

Surely it is the nature of all software development that as time goes on it gets both bigger and demands more of the underlying hardware? Just the way of the world. Computer development over time means that code, and lots of it, is cheap.

Yup. Old developer's maxim; if you upgrade any piece of software often enough, eventually you'll f*** it completely.

obviously reboot everything, I realise you would have done this
very odd but appears to be something in the chain from Roon / chromecast and opp
Can the oppo act as a Roon endpoint? This would isolate the chromecast
can you configure the oppo to use a streaming service (tidal or qobuz) to see what that does, that would isolate the Roon
can you send the audio directly out of the chromecast to the amplifier
neil

Thanks. Lots of good points there. It's just odd that it should swap channels during a listening session. One minute it was ok, the next it wasn't.

I haven't tried yet, today. It's all switched off at the mains, so it should do a full reboot when I switch it back on later.

I've no idea whether the Oppo can be a Roon end point; I don't think so. It is a UPnP streamer, though, so I could try that. The amp has a dac/streamer board, and it was that I used afterwards to check that the system itself was wired up right, so I was by-passing both the Chromecast dongle and the Oppo.

If the problem persists, I'll take your advice and try an analogue connection from the dongle; that'll rule the Oppo out (or in!).

It's just weird !

The Oppo 203 and 205 are ROON unfortunately the 103 and 105 are not.

The hits I got about L/R flipping in ROON were about DSP and drivers for specific DACs, mainly on the ROON Community site.

The Oppo 203 and 205 are ROON unfortunately the 103 and 105 are not.

The hits I got about L/R flipping in ROON were about DSP and drivers for specific DACs, mainly on the ROON Community site.

Yes, I had a quick look last night before bed :), and that's all I found, too. There's no DSP activated, and no special drivers.

I didn't think the 103 could do Roon.

If only LPs didn't snap, crackle and pop and be such a faff !

So, a new roon issue; finished building the new system and this:

rooncore's installed on an Intel NUC i7 BXNUC10I7FNK2 with 16GB RAM and 256GB MVMe SSD for The OS (W10 Pro), rooncore and PLEX server.

The DAC is a Vitus RD-100, Vitus Windows drivers installed on the NUC.
The NUC is connected to the DAC via USB, its connected to the network via CAT8 Ethernet.
rooncore pulls files from a QNAP NAS with 4TB SSD, also connected via CAT8 Ethernet.
The switch is a TP-Link Router.

roon remote devices are either an iPad Pro or Thinkpad X1Carbon (W10 Pro) Laptop.

I have noticed that when playing 24/192 files from one of the remote devices the clock lock was not good at all, there was white noise trying to break through… UNTIL i installed roonbridge on the NUC?
Then I restarted the NUC and its doing the poor clock lock thing again… so rooncore +roonbridge can’t keep the clock locked 100%

No issue with other resolution FLAC files BTW.

is USB out from the NUC via roonserver a bad idea ?

I have since installed ‘full-fat’ roon on the NUC and its working perfectly, so does the X1 Carbon laptop (both via USB).

Knowing its meant to be server software without an interface and used via ethernet; was I expecting to much of rooncore for to output bit perfect via USB?

So, a new roon issue; finished building the new system and this:

rooncore's installed on an Intel NUC i7 BXNUC10I7FNK2 with 16GB RAM and 256GB MVMe SSD for The OS (W10 Pro), rooncore and PLEX server.

The DAC is a Vitus RD-100, Vitus Windows drivers installed on the NUC.
The NUC is connected to the DAC via USB, its connected to the network via CAT8 Ethernet.
rooncore pulls files from a QNAP NAS with 4TB SSD, also connected via CAT8 Ethernet.
The switch is a TP-Link Router.

roon remote devices are either an iPad Pro or Thinkpad X1Carbon (W10 Pro) Laptop.

I have noticed that when playing 24/192 files from one of the remote devices the clock lock was not good at all, there was white noise trying to break through… UNTIL i installed roonbridge on the NUC?
Then I restarted the NUC and its doing the poor clock lock thing again… so rooncore +roonbridge can’t keep the clock locked 100%

No issue with other resolution FLAC files BTW.

is USB out from the NUC via roonserver a bad idea ?

I have since installed ‘full-fat’ roon on the NUC and its working perfectly, so does the X1 Carbon laptop (both via USB).

Knowing its meant to be server software without an interface and used via ethernet; was I expecting to much of rooncore for to output bit perfect via USB?
Brainstorming. Does the VITUS DAC support ALSA, if so have you considered using ROCK? I know you’ll lose Plex. I’ve looked at VITUS a bit and they use a DAC board from M2Tech I think? Win 10 did you have to load drivers from Vitus or did it PlugnPlay - what does RON say the driver is WASAPI or ASIO?

The Vitus doesn’t play without a driver. They only have Windows or Apple drivers.

the USB is indeed an OEM M2Tech EVO device, it’s a plug in module, XMOS USB to i2S converter.

The RD-100 wasn’t reconsider with the QNAPs USB or by an iOS and/or a W10 laptop natively so I presume it’s alway going to require a driver of sorts.

I may try installing ROCK but normally if iOS picks it up Linux will and if it doesn’t then nor would Linux !?

The Vitus driver is WASAPI

The Vitus doesn’t play without a driver. They only have Windows or Apple drivers.

the USB is indeed an OEM M2Tech EVO device, it’s a plug in module, XMOS USB to i2S converter.

The RD-100 wasn’t reconsider with the QNAPs USB or by an iOS and/or a W10 laptop natively so I presume it’s alway going to require a driver of sorts.

I may try installing ROCK but normally if iOS picks it up Linux will and if it doesn’t then nor would Linux !?

The Vitus driver is WASAPI
I’m a long way from knowing much about Roon, though I’ve used it for a few years. Isn’t the idea that you should run Roon core on your NAS, and Roon bridge on your NUC so that the NUC is like a dumb playback endpoint, and hardly has to do anything. Isn’t that Roon’s preferred architecture, ie keep Roon Core with its possible heavy processing away from the playback end of things?

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/sound-quality

advertisement

Back