advertisement

Roon Update

Fortunately, I did not update to 1.8 in the first place, so can still happily run 1.7.

As someone from Roon said during the discussions about the failed 1.8 launch that there are still quite a number of 1.6 users out there, here's hope that this kind of wigglespace will remain available for some time.

I agree with the judgement that Roon's business policies towards customers and product development are an example of how-not-to-do things. As the company has no local core (everyone is scattered around the world) I think these muddled policies are a consequence of a missing home base.

I still like Roon 1.7 though and have found no better alternative.

As the company has no local core (everyone is scattered around the world) I think these muddled policies are a consequence of a missing home base.

Don’t think that has anything to do with it, they have a singular vision and you either buy into it or you don’t. If they lose you they don’t care as long as they believe they’ll gain more subscribers than they lose.

Last edited:
I know that, but thought about the less I T literate.
Roon’s CEO started a thread in their forum awhile ago about whether Roon should offer cloud backup, but it went nowhere. If they were smart they would only need to back up one copy of CDs owned by their members - no need to back up hundreds of copies of the same album. Dbpoweramp tried that a few years ago, didn’t last long.

Roon could just offer a utility that backs up to a commercially available cloud service where the users logs in with their own credentials and of course a local copy on a USB disk or similar. I for one have my own 3-2-1 backup because it took me 14 days to rip my cd collection and I really don't want to do that again :)

I keep all of my rips in the cloud in OneDrive, they are also backed up locally to a Time Machine backup on a rotating set of external HDDs. And Qobuz has most of them anyway! Roon library backups are dealt with similarly - OneDrive and local TimeMachine.

Cloud backup of my 6TB NAS...Roon noted then had around 100,000 users in 2019...so that number will be a fair bit higher now. The cost to store that level of data would be insane. I'd rather not pay for this, and more than happy with the way Arc works.

Cloud backup of my 6TB NAS...Roon noted then had around 100,000 users in 2019...so that number will be a fair bit higher now. The cost to store that level of data would be insane. I'd rather not pay for this, and more than happy with the way Arc works.
But how much of what is on your NAS is unique to you? Unless you have really bizarre tastes you could expect other Roon users to have many of your CDs. Any particular CD would only need backed up once for all users that have it. No need to have 100,000 copies of DSOTM in the cloud!

But how much of what is on your NAS is unique to you? Unless you have really bizarre tastes you could expect other Roon users to have many of your CDs. Any particular CD would only need backed up once for all users that have it. No need to have 100,000 copies of DSOTM in the cloud!

My CD's are long gone, but I see your point.

I have a fear what you're suggesting though would be classed as music sharing, and for that to be done legally it becomes what we know as 'streaming', and that would then involve a whole new level of legalities and licences, which I really wouldn't expect Roon to do, unless they want to get into the streaming industry and take on Tidal and Spotify.

quite honestly at this stage if I lost my rips, I probably wouldnt even care, I am obviously very mainstream but tidal has me covered for most of my rips anyway.

quite honestly at this stage if I lost my rips, I probably wouldnt even care, I am obviously very mainstream but tidal has me covered for most of my rips anyway.
Yep, I’m the same with Qobuz. So much music, my own collection is close to negligible.

advertisement

Back