advertisement

Roon Rock - missing codecs transfer from Windows 10

D-C

pfm Member
Hi all,

I've put together a Rooon Rock using a Nuc 10 i7.
All had gone swimmingly until I got to transfering codecs to the rock.
Windows sees the rock but if I try and access it via file explorer it just says its unable to access the drive.
I can see the rock in the room cos on my pc, and I can see it via Web browser.

I've activated SMB 1.0 (excluding server).. No joy.

Anyone else come across this frustrating scenario?

Cheers,

DC

Are you typing "//rock" instead of "\\rock" in the file explorer? That's what I was doing when I had the same problem setting up mine.

Hi Ibbots,

Yeah, was putting "\\rock", also tried it with the IP address.. neither works.. most frustrating!

Maybe look at an old thread
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/roon-rock-questions.250386/

If you need the Codecs

How To Add Codecs: Step By Step
  1. Download ffmpeg - Roon will need access to the required codecs via the `/Data/Codecs/` directory. You will need to download these codecs on another computer before placing them on ROCK.
    1. For example, grab https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/builds/ffmpeg-git-amd64-static.tar.xz and uncompress it. Remember, no additional files from that package are required, only ffmpeg. You will need to uncompress the file twice.
    2. If you are using Windows and do not have the ability to uncompress .tar files, we recommend downloading the open-source program 7-Zip
  2. Connect To Roon OS - Roon OS exposes a shared network folder called `Data`. You can access this SMB share by following the instructions here here
  3. Copy Codecs to Roon OS - Place the ffmpeg file in the `Codecs` folder, which you can find in Roon OS's `Data` directory
  4. Restart Your Core - Restart Roon Server using the Roon OS web interface

Thanks AA.. I I've done everything up to the point where it needs to be transferred over..
I can't access the Rock in Windows explorer to move the file across.

I can see the rock in networks, just cant access it.

If you enter the ROCKs IP number into a browser you see the screen I posted above but saying Missing Codecs rather than OK under the Roon Server Software?

//ROCK-IP-NUMBER

I get...

Capture.PNG

Seems to cut off the full image.. but says Windows cannot access.
Error code 0x80004005

Just checking something, each ROCK gets an IP number from your router, in my case:

My ROCK-IP-NUMBER = 192.168.1.115 I type \\192.168.1.115 in File Explorer to see the Data Folder

1. Navigate to Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center and Advanced sharing settings.
    advance-sharing-settings.jpg
  2. Click the Private network and make sure network discovery is turned on and that the automatic setup checkbox is enabled. Make sure Turn on file and printer sharing is also enabled.
    turn-on.jpg
  3. Click All Networks and make sure the Turn off password-protected network sharing is enabled.
    Turn-off-pw-sharing.jpg

I thought it was going to be an easy job... bought the NUC, RAM, SSDs etc, transferred the guts over to an Asaka Turing fanless case, installed Roon - NUC posted, Roon showed up on browser, on my PC etc.. all in a couple of hours.
There I was thinking, easy, job done... then Windows got into the mix o_O. 3 hours later, 3am in the morning banging my head against a brick wall hah!

Still, better than paying shed loads for a nucleus (even though they do look rather nice).

Hopefully this saga helps someone else if they decide to take the NUC route.

Behold!!!
I've done it!!!!!

Needed to enable insecure guest logons via group policies:
(snip)
Having read through a multitude of threads on similar issues.. this was the one that help me specifically:
https://community.spiceworks.com/to...-in-network-folder-and-can-t-access-the-share

Thanks again AA for taking the time to provide suggestions, much appreciated.
Cheers,
DC

Wow. I saw your thread early this morning and was hopeful I could help as I have a bit of a PC tech background but I would never have thought to suggest this. Well done for fixing it and documenting it. Maybe send a link to this thread to Roon I'm sure they would benefit from it.

Reactions: D-C
Thanks Millenium. Should I add it on a forum or somewhere or do they have a knowledge base?

advertisement

Back