advertisement

Roon I’ve tried it and....

I used to be happy to pick a disc from the shelf and play music like that, but Roon has got me listening to far more than

Does the Naim app integrate TIDAL into your own music library or is it separate? That’s one of the things I like about Roon/TIDAL. If I look at one of my own albums I can click on the artist and see all of my own albums from that artist, with an extra section showing further albums available on TIDAL.
It is separate. I don't see why I would want them integrated - it is very simple to switch from one to the other.

It is separate. I don't see why I would want them integrated - it is very simple to switch from one to the other.

I think Roon’s approach is much better than making you switch between your own library and Tidal or Qobuz. Roon does it very sensibly; it has a library, which starts out as your own stuff, to which you can then add as many albums from Qobuz/Tidal as you wish, and these then just behave exactly as your own CDs, and appear in all the Artist/Album/Genre etc views. When you do a search Roon presents results from your library first (either your own CDs or ones you brought in from Qobuz/Tidal) then it casts the net wider to all of Qobuz/Tidal. Pretty good really. Qobuz integration was a big selling point of Roon for me, it became increasingly annoying switching. Roon does it right.

I think Roon’s approach is much better than making you switch between your own library and Tidal or Qobuz. Roon does it very sensibly; it has a library, which starts out as your own stuff, to which you can then add as many albums from Qobuz/Tidal as you wish, and these then just behave exactly as your own CDs, and appear in all the Artist/Album/Genre etc views. When you do a search Roon presents results from your library first (either your own CDs or ones you brought in from Qobuz/Tidal) then it casts the net wider to all of Qobuz/Tidal. Pretty good really. Qobuz integration was a big selling point of Roon for me, it became increasingly annoying switching. Roon does it right.

And don’t forget you can easily see just your own albums using the Focus feature, if you want to by selecting (- TIDAL) as a format.

I don't need a piece of software to make suggestions about what I might listen to next. I don't need my music collection organised according to somebody else's idea of how it is best done.

If you don't think that Roon has much to offer you, it looks very expensive.

Saying so is not (sic) "whinging".

Ha that's funny.

Sort of stating the bleeding obvious. Of course it's useless if you don't want any of its functionality.

A car is expensive if all you want or need is a push bike.

It's really a more general point that many people seem to think high quality software should be pretty much free.

What is particularly amusing is that it was you that brought up the question of price in your initial post.

Does Roon work with Idagio? I searched for Idagio on the Roon website and got no hits. :(

My dad reckons Idagio is better for classical music than Qobuz, having tried both extensively. Aged 90, he ought to know what he's talking about!

If your search found nothing then it looks like a no. Did your search include the community BTW? They are discussing Spotify so additional sources do get added.

Why do you want a toilet in your house? It’s very simple to rush to an outdoor toilet in the back of your garden...

Now you are being silly!

Not at all — it’s about convenience. Having a loo in the house is rather convenient; and Roon also provides a lot of convenience by integrating libraries in different places in your network and online streaming services in one place. On top of that, Roon allows you the editing of meta data in Tidal, and I assume the same applies to Qobuz. Terribly convenient I think — the meta data mess in Tidal is a fr*** nightmare for people who like Tidal as well organised as their own library.

I don't find anything wrong with the integration of tidal and my rips in the naim app. Obviously ymmv.

Me I had a 14 days trial but ran out before I got it doing anything.
14 days seems a bit stingy - as far as I'm aware they usually give you a month, or sometimes 3 months when you purchase a Roon player of some sort. Either way, if you're still undecided, get in touch with Roon and I'm pretty sure they'll give you another trial - they have certainly done this in the past.

I don't find anything wrong with the integration of tidal and my rips in the naim app. Obviously ymmv.
There is obviously no right or wrong way to do this, just what appeals most to you. The way the Naim app lists other Tidal albums by the same artist underneath an album you are playing from your local library seems like a good idea to me, and is very easy to ignore if you're not interested. Roon goes further, by seamlessly integrating your local and Tidal/Qobuz libraries if you want it to. If you don't like this feature, simply don't use it.

The interface is a nightmare piece of shite to use. Side scrolling really? And on a phone its just an utter nonsense anything more than a few artists and you are going to have thumb cramp scrolling, there is no real reasoning for this, something to do with 'wanting us to discover', well the way I discover is often just to scroll through, give me a god damn scroll bar or a-z.
I have to agree with you here. Perhaps different people's brains are wired in different ways, and the guys at Roon see this as OK, but for me the sideways scrolling through large-ish images is totally wrong.

advertisement

Back