advertisement

Roon I’ve tried it and....

Love Roon. Fantastic for discovering new music with Qobuz/Tidal. Nothing beats it.

Waits for the whinging about price.........
I don't need a piece of software to make suggestions about what I might listen to next. I don't need my music collection organised according to somebody else's idea of how it is best done.

If you don't think that Roon has much to offer you, it looks very expensive.

Saying so is not (sic) "whinging".

So you have tried roon. Maybe a trial, a year or even a full lifetime purchase.

Naim forum had a thread that ended in personal comments and got vanished. Do Fishes have a view on roon they care to share? Please accept others will have different views.

Me I had a 14 days trial but ran out before I got it doing anything. So I didn’t build an appreciation of its good features. By others comments if you enjoy lots of related info to your music it may be your thing.

I just use moode and it’s UpNP to find and feed music to a Naim Muso-qb and Moode itself.

What are your Roon experiences?
If you write the Roon people they will give you an extension on the trial.

I love Roon, but it isn't for everyone - some people just want straight ahead playback, some people want folder navigation.
Roon adds lots of information about your music, and different ways of exploring your collection.
It also has loads of other features like DSP, ability to apply convolution filters, upsampling in various ways, internet radio, and it will seamlessly integrate Qobuz or Tidal into your experience thru the UI.
The internet Radio function isn't really developed, but there is a group of users building a library of stations that is going to be integrated into Roon so that you can just look stations up by type or location and add them.
One of the good things about Roon is that they are regularly adding more features and making it more valuable.
It does take a bit of time to get used to as it works a bit differently than what most are used to. Some of the "tricks" can be a bit hard to find for a newbie. But the Roon forum and wiki will have almost any answer you need if you have an issue.

I took out a lifetime membership May 2018 after the 2 week trial, a bit reluctantly in view of my advancing years (73) thinking it’d only be a good deal if I survived for another few years.

I decided to check my Amazon account and to my amazement I’d spent £3600 on vinyl/cds in the last 10 years.

I still have 1000 approx. of LPs/CDs which I still play but importantly I haven’t purchased anything, other than the odd £9.99 Tidal since April 18.

Everything about Roon works just fine for me, couldn’t be happier.....bit of a music freak, used to go to a local pop quiz for years so I find the info/links in Roon so enjoyable.

Cheers......Dave

Roon is the first and only music software I’ve used and I have no real complaints.

I bought a Nucleus, 2TB SSD and an iPad and also got a TIDAL hi-fi account. It all works very well and any issues are sorted by the support people on the Roon forum. A computer Luddite couldn’t ask for more.

I’ve discovered loads of new music thanks to Roon Radio integrating TIDAL into my own library.

I should also have said, although not Roon specific, have a listen to JB Radio, the quality is quite superb and better even than Paradise IMHO of course.

I should also have said, although not Roon specific, have a listen to JB Radio, the quality is quite superb and better even than Paradise IMHO of course.

How do you play internet radio in Roon? Something about pasting a link but I don’t know where to get one.

You have to copy from the address bar of the station at the top of the screen, I have to use my laptop or just doesn’t work with my IPad.
Keith

I've not tried Roon, I'm happy with just vanilla Qobuz so far. I just need to play music as I've no interest in any of the interface or extras that come with it.

My only issue with Qobuz is the lack of gapless playback via Chromecast audio, which means I need a PC and screen on to control it.

Click on he symbol. Copy, then paste into URL section on radio page.

You must be using a computer, I’m using an iPad so don’t think that is possible.

You have to copy from the address bar of the station at the top of the screen, I have to use my laptop or just doesn’t work with my IPad.
Keith

Ah ok. So once I put the link in will Roon save it or will I have to copy and paste it every time I want to play a particular station.

Seems a faff to have to use a normal computer and keyboard for music replay, but I guess that’s why Roon are trying to implement it properly into the software. I wonder if we’ll be able to search all of Tune-in for stations we want from within Roon?

I've not tried Roon, I'm happy with just vanilla Qobuz so far. I just need to play music as I've no interest in any of the interface or extras that come with it.

My only issue with Qobuz is the lack of gapless playback via Chromecast audio, which means I need a PC and screen on to control it.

The interface and extras really help to give better access to the music you have. It’s very handy to be able to easily sort your music by multiple categories, for example. I often look through my Jazz collection by label, decade, producer etc.

I use a Chromecast via optical into a DAC with my Roon Nucleus and it’s always gapless but when I just used Chromecast with the TIDAL app it wasn’t gapless.

No. Use the iPad. Go into the webpage, not the app.Click on music at the very bottom. Then find the channel you wish. Press on the channel symbol until the menu appears. Click copy. Then paste into url in Roon.Ive just done it with Scala Radio.

No. Use the iPad. Go into the webpage, not the app.Click on music at the very bottom. Then find the channel you wish. Press on the channel symbol until the menu appears. Click copy. Then paste into url in Roon.Ive just done it with Scala Radio.

I’ll have another go, but I didn’t use the app last time.

The interface and extras really help to give better access to the music you have. It’s very handy to be able to easily sort your music by multiple categories, for example. I often look through my Jazz collection by label, decade, producer etc.

That's good, but I don't need that as I don't listen to music like that. All I need is a list of albums and I choose from it. I don't need to sort anything by label or producers etc. as I have no interest in that stuff.

advertisement

Back