advertisement

Roon Endpoint - Raspberry Pi or Intel NUC?

It’s just a different approach as @adamdea says and as you say it allows you do more than just one thing and more than just audio.

My main added usage is to allow Roon extensions to run. They add a lot to the Roon experience for me. Queue bot and random album being used daily.

.sjb

Ok, thanks. I’m just a simple audio user, KISS! If there was a benefit for me to introduce DietPi I may have tried it. That said I might flash a card and look at it on a non-system Pi. Cheers

It’s just a different approach as @adamdea says and as you say it allows you do more than just one thing and more than just audio.

My main added usage is to allow Roon extensions to run. They add a lot to the Roon experience for me. Queue bot and random album being used daily.

.sjb
Tell me on a Sunday.My Mum used to play that when I was a child.

I really like Ropieee when I was a Roon user. It’s probably improved since I used it, but it was good and solid then.

Hi-
I have both. A Pi running Ropieee (previously dietPi) and a Windows computer running Roon Bridge. Both USB to various DACs.
Both work fine. Don't think there is any significant difference in SQ.

Your decision factors might be:
a) What form physiscal form factor do you prefer in your setup?
b) UI - The Pi is a bit fiddly to work with (if you only have Ropieee that isn't much of an issue); a PC gives you more possibilities of how to interface with it and what you can do with it, if that interests you. You can also run Rock on the NUC (get the right model of NUC) which is pretty much setup and play.

Shoot me down, if I am out of place, etc. I just ordered an Argon Audio Solo mostly for use as a Roon endpoint @ 179€. It looks like being way simpler than setting up an Rpi ?

Looks like a decent product alright. Ethernet and USB are lacking but which limits things a little for more esoteric uses but I can’t see much not to like here.

.sjb

Two are simply used to tell me what is currently playing, another in the kitchen is also the player and I have just set up another endpoint for the wife. I love Pi, just shame on supply at the moment.

Thats a nice case.

008vxvgGgy1h8hn55pstuj31400u0gqb.jpg

This one is 3d Printed

008vxvgGgy1h8hn5ahtg9j31400u046w.jpg

This one is part of a pc case. There is a PC in there the screen is connected to a PI also in there but its just showing whats playing the PC running Rock is the actual end point.

advertisement

Back