Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Roon Endpoint - Raspberry Pi or Intel NUC?

Discussion in 'audio' started by stephen_cowslip, Aug 1, 2022.

1. stephen_cowslip

stephen_cowslip pfm Member

Hi all,

I have a Roon server at home and need to set up an endpoint to connect via USB to the internal DAC on my integrated.

I was thinking of a Raspberry Pi running ROPIEEE but then had a quick look on eBay for Intel NUCs and some are coming in at around the same price as a decent Pi with case.

Can I run a NUC as an endpoint with audio out over USB to the DAC? Has anyone had any experiences with this?

Thanks in adavce!

2. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Assuming your server is somewhat remote from the DAC/Integrated? If they are close together you can just run USB straight to the DAC.

If it is remote, it should be easy to set up an NUC as endpoint with Windows and Roon Bridge. Roon Bridge is also available for several other platforms if you do not want to go Windows.

3. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

I believe you can use a NUC as an endpoint but I’ve only seen it done with one running Roon Rock and itself being the server. In that instance it was configured and its System Output enabled. If it is remote it would be simpler to use Ropiee on a Pi, preferably a Pi4 but not necessarily a high memory model.

4. stephen_cowslip

Thanks for the advice.

The server is far away from the DAC, unfortunately.

The last time I tried to do this, I was sure there was an issue with the USB and something else sharing a bus on the Raspberry Pi board but from further investigation, this seems to have been addressed with the 4.

Looks like if you're simply using USB into a DAC then the Pi is the best way to go.

Looks like they are out of stock in the usual places, however...

5. garyi

garyi leave blank

Just install rock on it. Make sure it’s 10th gen or earlier

6. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

They're around but you have to be quick. Or post a WTD in the Classifieds.

7. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

If you’re not sorted yet and you’re interested in an RPi4 there’s this just appeared on Gumtree at a reasonable price. https://www.gumtree.com/p/desktop-workstation-pcs/raspberry-pi-4-model-b-8gb-/1438887100

8. Disarmamant

Disarmamant Certified foo free

9. evand

evand pfm Member

I’d definitely use a Pi4 with Ropieee over a NUC running anything. Less power consumption, less faff, less electrical noise.

Pi4 USB bus isn’t shared with LAN like previous editions.

Fergus likes this.
  10. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

+1 for that. Very simple to set up.

Fergus likes this.
  11. lencotweaker

lencotweaker Mostly dreaming of record players

I run my Roon Rock running on a Intel NUC directly to a DAC via USB and it works absolutely fine.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  12. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

That is how my friend uses it and it works very well but the RPi4 as an end point is simpler. And I’m using mine wirelessly so less cabling.

13. stephen_cowslip

Cheers all.

I ended up going with the RPi4 / Ropieee.

So far so good. It's a breeze to set up. Just a shame I had to pay over the odds for the Pi4!

jamesd and Fergus like this.
  14. Nagraboy

Nagraboy Ausculta fili

Is there a step by step guide somewhere of how to make a Roon endpoint from a raspberry pie? I wonder how people do it. They look a good inexpensive option rather than the ready made network bridge devices out there.

15. stephen_cowslip

https://ropieee.org/getting_started/

It's very easy to set up. Roon picks the device up once up and running and on the same network.

Nagraboy likes this.
  16. Sloop John B

Sloop John B for more years than I care to remember

Dietpi is similarly easy enough to set up and allows you to also run Roon extensions.

.sjb

stephen_cowslip likes this.
  17. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

Can I ask why you would do that? Is it an alternative to Ropieee or an RPi OS? What would be the benefits? I’ve only ever used a RPi for audio and am only familiar with Pico Replayer, Moode, Volumio, Ropieee or the likes. Always looking to learn.

18. adamdea

adamdea You are not a sound quality evaluation device

As I understand it, Volumio and Moode are sort of linux distros circulated for the purpose of a particular audio use. Nevertheless you can actually use them for general linux use. Diet pi is more or less the other way round, being a linux distribution with a number of built in options to do particular things (including for example installing LMS, but many other things besides). It's nearer to installing raspbian and then deciding what programs to install, but with a number of options pre-configured.
    You could end up with the same thing by either route. Equally you could end up with something completely different.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022 at 11:34 PM
  19. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

Thanks. It may well work but it just looks unnecessary to me unless the RPi has more than one use.