advertisement

Roon core or Auralic Aries G2/ Lightning DS to make music files easier to manage.

I don't know if a dedicated Intel Server would be better or an Innuos.
Innuos servers are excellent with great customer support - I would imagine finding a dealer to lend you one to try would be reasonably straghtforward.

Yes. I had a Zenith SE last year. I sold it because I didn't like the sound via a Marantz SA-KI Ruby. Not sure if it was the Innuos or the Ruby that I didn't get on with as I never used them with another combination. I'm sure if I bought through a dealer, I would have a chance to explore this option.

I’ll try and help.

Do you have the Melco in Network Mode, SMB On and DHCP On? If it is in Direct Mode you cannot use it with your own Router. Defaults are all good so if you haven’t changed anything you’re gold.

The Melco will have a network name like N1-XY12. It will also have an IP address (like a car has a number plate) something like 192.168.1.56 - your one will be different

The place the files are located - a shared folder - will have a name Share

The share file path will be similar to \\N1-XY12\Share. Note that the backslashes are the opposite to the ones you use on the Internet and can be hard to find on a device.

On a Mac use smb://192.168.1.56/Share
Angus, much appreciated. Will try later.

I've been trying Roon Core on my MacBook Pro, running into the USB of a Marantz NA-11S streamer/dac.
I'm giving up of it as the SQ is not as good as I'd want. I don't know if a dedicated Intel Server would be better or an Innuos. Don't want to spend the money to try. But I'm of the feeling that if I wanted to stream, I'd be more tempted by an Aurelic and use its own software.
There's one thing I don't like about Roon, and that is that it bombards you with information about a piece your listening to. Too much information. I just want to view my collection as it is.

You’re right. The way they force you to read the bio’s and information before you can play the music is quite off-putting :rolleyes:

I don't see any forced reading of any bio on Roon. I select the music I want and hit the big blue 'play now' button. If I want to read more as it does play, I can if I wish - or I can ignore it. I can also connect the TV to an HDMI output of the mac mini and get that to show what is playing now.

Of course, the whole point of Roon is all the hyperlinks that you can use to explore the library in new ways. If you just want a colourful index of the tracks in the library for you to play from - then Itunes would be perfect.

advertisement

Back