advertisement

Roon core or Auralic Aries G2/ Lightning DS to make music files easier to manage.

My Aries G1 is in the classified section as we speak. I ran it with both roon & lightening DS. Both are excellent with roon taking the title. The lightening ds is very good though for a built in UI
Bear in mind the G1 can't take an internal Hard Disk (G2/G2.1 can) so not able to act as a Server for the Lightning DS App.

Roon is a superb way to manage, access & select music.
It’s not cheap by any stretch, & also not perfect for everyone.
But I’ve yet to see anything better, or even close, for that matter. And I’ve tried a few alternatives.

Roon is a superb way to manage, access & select music.
It’s not cheap by any stretch, & also not perfect for everyone.
But I’ve yet to see anything better, or even close, for that matter. And I’ve tried a few alternatives.
Likewise, tried heaps but find Roon worth the cost ymmv, once you have Roon sorted almost any hardware is an option so it takes the quality of the free provided Apps out of the mix. A few won't, don't, can't support Roon, last I checked Aurender for example, but they are an exception these days.

Not much I can add here but still feel compelled to say searching classical music has always for me been a minefield, it is just a very complex ‘ask’ with all the composers, conductors, performers etc. Roon is actively focusing on addressing this elephant and is (from my experience with Roon) making progress BUT it might be years before classical music search is a thing of beauty and ease!

I have an Aries Mini also and have lighting as a back up to Roon. It functions just fine but I rarely if ever use it as Roon is use such a pleasure to use.

Lastly Apple bought up one of the classical music services last year and I am hopeful we might see some progress on classsical search from them if they set their minds and considerable resources to it :)

I’m Edinburgh based and running both Lightening DS and Roon (on a NUC) if you want to compare the interfaces & capabilities side by side.

I’m Edinburgh based and running both Lightening DS and Roon (on a NUC) if you want to compare the interfaces & capabilities side by side.
I just got a Nucleus up and running today and the user interface is better than anything I’ve had before. SQ from a usb drive into the nucleus is very good which might make the Melco redundant. I upgraded the Melco to EX with minimserver last year and it seemed to offer nothing over the old version. I shelled out again for a SongKong subscription and it was impenetrable to me. When I bought the Melco a few years ago I naively imagined it would work the way the basic search function of Roon does or even Lightning.

Last edited:
I just got a Nucleus up and running today and the user interface is better than anything I’ve had before. SQ from a usb drive into the nucleus is very good which might make the Melco redundant. I upgraded the Melco to EX with minimserver last year and it seemed to offer nothing over the old version. I shelled out again for a SongKong subscription and it was impenetrable to me. When I bought the Melco a few years ago I naively imagined it work the way the basic search function of Roon does or even Lightning.

Good result; glad you like it. Take your time with Roon to become acquainted with its vast capabilities. If you haven't already, sign up to Quobuz and/or Tidal and Roon really does become an amazing tool. Not sure how you're set it up, but use an end point if poss.

Roon any day, all day long. Been a satisfied roon user for 4-5 years now. Bought the lifetime licence when it was less than £400. Now it’s free to me :)
Ditto.

I have a Lumin D2 in the main rig, an Auralic Ares mini in the kitchen, a number of raspberry Pi streamers for the kids and an Innuos Zen Mark III serving files. All are managed using Roon rather than their own Apps which is really convenient and makes for great flexibility for the less technically minded who only see one app and then magically hear the music they asked for (assuming they've remembered to turn on the appropriate amp).

Ditto.

I have a Lumin D2 in the main rig, an Auralic Ares mini in the kitchen, a number of raspberry Pi streamers for the kids and an Innuos Zen Mark III serving files. All are managed using Roon rather than their own Apps which is really convenient and makes for great flexibility for the less technically minded who only see one app and then magically hear the music they asked for (assuming they've remembered to turn on the appropriate amp).
Can you have more than one user on the Roon account at one time, playing different stuff in different zones? I’m hoping to use a Chord Hugo2/ 2Go / power amp/ Spendor D1s connected by Ethernet cable to a power line adapter in another room.

Roon any day, all day long. Been a satisfied roon user for 4-5 years now. Bought the lifetime licence when it was less than £400. Now it’s free to me :)

Yeah I never had the balls now its a hundy a year, 5 years this year :) . There simply is nothing else out there that comes close.

Can you have more than one user on the Roon account at one time, playing different stuff in different zones? I’m hoping to use a Chord Hugo2/ 2Go / power amp/ Spendor D1s connected by Ethernet cable to a power line adapter in another room.
Yes, I control SONOS in sun room, Bluesound in office and Bartok in lounge via an iPad in lounge and/or my office PC, all 3 controlled from both devices playing different tunes if I want.

Simon, it’s nucleus with usb drive directly connected at the back then Devialet 440 and Melco N1A EX all into an Ethernet switch along with nucleus . While I can see the Melco (which Ivd set to Roon ready) in the ‘Audio’ part of Roon settings, I can’t see what’s stored in it or access it just now. I put the Melco IP address into the box in Roon storage but that didn’t get me anywhere.

Its quite interesting that most instructions assume the reader will have an understanding of terminology, so when I Google how to link up Roon with the Melco the closest I got to finding what I needed was-

Your Melco will appear as a source (or Audio Zone) in the ‘Audio’ menu within Roon settings which you need to enable and within the storage settings of Roon you also need to point Roon at the Melco shares so it can see your music.

The first bit I got but no idea what the last bit of that sentence means!

Assume it’s this but what goes in the fields?
YMl8RfV.jpg

Not an expert - but is it the case that you may have to change some setting on the Melco to make the files visible to the network - then Roon will get to it?

Yes. You can play the same tune to multiple devices or indeed different tunes to different devices at the same time. I also believe you can set up different user IDs on the one Roon A/C although I've never seen the need to do this yet so don't know how to go about it. We all muck in on my ID.

It seems as well that tidal will play what ever to each location, i.e. you dont get cut off from one if it plays on another.

Not an expert - but is it the case that you may have to change some setting on the Melco to make the files visible to the network - then Roon will get to it?
Yes, Melco settings changed to “Roon ready” and Roon certainly spots the Melco in audio devices but to open Melco files to Roon you have to enter a share file path. The question is what exactly to type in the file path box.

I’ll try and help.

Do you have the Melco in Network Mode, SMB On and DHCP On? If it is in Direct Mode you cannot use it with your own Router. Defaults are all good so if you haven’t changed anything you’re gold.

The Melco will have a network name like N1-XY12. It will also have an IP address (like a car has a number plate) something like 192.168.1.56 - your one will be different

The place the files are located - a shared folder - will have a name Share

The share file path will be similar to \\N1-XY12\Share. Note that the backslashes are the opposite to the ones you use on the Internet and can be hard to find on a device.

On a Mac use smb://192.168.1.56/Share

I've been trying Roon Core on my MacBook Pro, running into the USB of a Marantz NA-11S streamer/dac.
I'm giving up of it as the SQ is not as good as I'd want. I don't know if a dedicated Intel Server would be better or an Innuos. Don't want to spend the money to try. But I'm of the feeling that if I wanted to stream, I'd be more tempted by an Aurelic and use its own software.
There's one thing I don't like about Roon, and that is that it bombards you with information about a piece your listening to. Too much information. I just want to view my collection as it is.

advertisement

Back