advertisement

Roon 2.0

Roon really missed a trick by not giving a proper heads-up about what to be careful of before it went live.

Don’t know what an open port is, but I’m at work on my break listening to Bach (in DSD64) streamed from home. Very cool.

I’m glad it all just worked faultlessly and instantly with my Nucleus and iPad/iPhone last night. If I had to deal with the things others are up to I wouldn’t have a clue. If mine worked without ‘ports’ and updating firewall and network settings does that mine my network is security compromised?

Used to be as you describe...
Maybe the core needs more space on the 83% full 4Tb (actually only about 3.5Tb) SSD to function properly... the problem manifested a couple of weeks after the NAS emitted a 75% full alert.

I keep on buying music - six CD res albums this morning alone :)
I have 87% of my internal 2TB SSD full but still newly added albums appear straight away. I can’t see a setting that would change this either.

Roon radio is still shite
Windows client still crashes or freezes frequently
Search is still so so
New versions of current albums still don’t show

Take for instance Animals 2018 remix. This has been on tidal for sometime but because I own Animals it does not show in Roon as an album I may be interested in, it gets lumped under ‘version’ you would have no idea unless you find out elsewhere

@garyi

Ah I see, that would be annoying in that particular case but what about all those copyright-expired new versions of 50s and 60s albums which are popping up all the time? We wouldn’t want to be prompted about those, so how would Roon differentiate between something significant like the Pink Floyd remaster and the latest cowboy Miles Davis reissue?

All i known is if pink Floyd have re released an album I would like to know, there is a section on the artist screen of other stuff they have done but re releases do not appear.

this is poor for an app that claims to introduce you to new stuff

Yeah that always connected requirement is a draw back. Why they did that I’m not sure? I wouldn’t like for the internet to go down and not be able to play music.

As someone that hasn't subscribed to a streaming service ARC is a great way to take my music with me when driving or otherwise commuting. I've been using it for a few months now and its better than I'd anticipated, particularly given the patchy mobile network across the UK. However, not being able to play your local music from Roon in your home because your internet connection has become dodgy is just myopic. I imagine it'll be much the same if Roon's cloud infrastructure for whatever reason experiences an outage.

Then there's the security risk associated with port forwarding to an application running with administrative privileges - Roon's core runs as root on Linux (and macOS?) and using ARC requires that you open a port and forward traffic to Roon's core. Fundamentally a BAD idea to expose an appication with admin rights to incoming traffic over WAN where it did not initiate the communication. If you're going to use ARC you should at least ensure that you have modified your Roon install to ensure its not running under an account with administrative privileges. I'm not saying Roon's core is vulnerable, but damn if it gets compromised you've just handed administrative privileges to an attacker.

Yeah I totally agree. The risk is minor but it is an attack vector, especially with uPNP enabled which is probably the typical case.

Edit. Crikey I just visited the roon forums. It seems like people on the internet are at their happiest when they are furious about something.

I have been in software development for 43 years and Roon is a classic case of a company whose devs (or maybe product managers) are either stupid or arrogant or both.

So ARC might be a nice to have but as with many many things in Roon it should be optional. But instead an internet connection is now mandatory. Making it optional would be a trivial thing but they cant seem to think that some users might not want/need a 24/7 internet connection to play back local files.

I only have local files and another example (among many that personally stops me from using Roon) is that they decide what genres will be displayed in the genre page, despite my files being tagged as I want them.

I have only three genres in my local files (blues, jazz and rock) and yet even after using the options to have Roon use my tags, I end up with 30 Genres, 27 of which are empty. Roon sprays out phantom genres like Reggae, Childerns, Opera, Country etc. It is visual pollution that says they know better than me what my genres should be.

No the above isnt a rant, its just pointing out that Roon, as a software development company are tone deaf and it would appear that architecturally the software is very monolithic and inflexible such as there being no way to customize your home screen, what info you do/dont want to see when you select say a genre, artist, album etc. I know what Blues is as a genre so I dont need a splash screen that takes up 40% of my screen space telling me what it is... just show me my artists.

And why cant people decide if they want square or round artist photos?. Logically they take up the same space, squares are better at fitting in muliple band members, some people like square photos and the photos used to be square so its not like not supporting them wasnt/isnt possible.

I have really wanted to like Roon over the years and multiple trials but it has got worse (IMHO) and not better.

Peter

PS. The above is not a definitive list of stuff within Roon that rubs me the wrong way and when you look at any specific item it might appear a trivial issue but when you add up 20 or so issues it means you end up fighting the software (visually and mechanically) to get anything done

I’ve decided I’ll never use the arc update so deleted the specific app, never got round to fiddling with router settings either as Apple Music and tidal are quite enough for the very few times I leave the house and have all I need. I may have thought differently if I was able to get out n’ about like my previous life before spms but it’s cool that they’re offering new roon functionality.

Just arrived back in Dublin after a holiday in the UK. Wedding in Scunthorpe, visiting a niece with newborn in Gloucester.
It was great to have my Roon playlists available for the various journeys and to have it available in the houses I visited to play music. (I was beta testing it).

I didn’t actually think that I would gain as much from a mobile roon solution as I have but it is for me who has got used to roon so much a better proposition than Spotify or a TIDAL etc.
.sjb

So ARC might be a nice to have but as with many many things in Roon it should be optional. But instead an internet connection is now mandatory.

I agree, that given the (assumed) older install base, a mandatory internet connection is not ideal. However, it is more normal than not in 2022 and non internet connected come under software packages will probably be non existent in a few

I only have local files and another example (among many that personally stops me from using Roon) is that they decide what genres will be displayed in the genre page, despite my files being tagged as I want them.

A toggle that says “enable ARC” would’ve been cool. Hell, make the local host only tier free and upsell on the Arc/2.0 full tier. I bet they’d retain 90% of their install base for the first year or two and then those edge cases would fall off.

I’m consistently noticing the iPad app being much nippier - previously there could be some sluggishness when reopening it, and it could be slow keeping the screen up to date.

How were people using Roon without an internet connection before 2.0? I thought you needed to be connected to the internet in order for the metadata to link up. At some point the core must have to download the metadata from the internet or else how would it get on the core (if that’s where it ends up?).

My only complaint so far (day 2 with the update) is that the Roon control interface on my iMac no longer boots on switch on and I can't remember how to re-enable that. The Core is on a NAS.

advertisement

Back