advertisement

Roon 2.0

Roon 2 may be the point at which I start looking for a different product. Their agenda is clearly centred on metadata and online services, whereas my interest is stable access to my own library of ripped flacs. Roon 2 now requires an internet connection, which means that potentially you will lose some access (unclear how serious at the moment) to your local library if your internet goes down.

I don't think I will stay on 1.8 legacy, but I will probably start investigating alternatives to Roon and gradually move away from it. Maybe Audirvana, or go back to LMS.

ARC has no interest for me. I've been using Roon for a couple of years and like it a lot. What isn't clear to me is what does Roon 2.0 give me that 1.8 doesn't?

Any feedback from early adopters welcome.

ARC has no interest for me. I've been using Roon for a couple of years and like it a lot. What isn't clear to me is what does Roon 2.0 give me that 1.8 doesn't?

Any feedback from early adopters welcome.
There don’t seem to be any new features, just (long overdue) native Mac M1 support and ARC. There are reports on their forum of older Macs now not working. Perhaps this lays the groundwork for future enhancements. I shall give it a punt this morning and report back.

Edit: also now you must have an internet connection to use Roon; previously you were allowed 30 days of offline use.

Yeah that always connected requirement is a draw back. Why they did that I’m not sure? I wouldn’t like for the internet to go down and not be able to play music.

Snap! Mine didn’t communicate with ARC/Core. Went to try and get into my router… Locked out as I can’t remember the password (why oh why did I change it from the default?!

Ultimately, I’m not sure how much use Roon on the go is for me. I’ve got Tidal, which pretty much has everything I have stored on my hard drives. Maybe I’m missing something, but in this age of streaming apps, I cannot understand the need for Roon to stream from home.
i then remembered i changed the pass word so have got in but still cant get it to work so have raised a ticket on the Roon forum, but like you i rarely listed to music on away form home other than radio or podcasts etc

OK, updated macmini and iThings, went smooth-ish, seems to work, seems more responsive. Early days. Will try ARC when I am in mood to be annoyed by networking and firewall stuff.

Installed but it can’t communicate with my core.. trying to get into my bt hub to enable port forwarding but it’s decided the factory password is wrong and locked me out… hey ho..

This happened to us, switch your core off and try again, went through immediately after that.

I added my port manually too. Upnp is too risky for me to allow on my router so it’s disabled.

I went into Roon > settings > roon arc and took a note of the port number then added that to the port forwarding part of my router along with the IP apt the core - my port was a different to 55000 btw (although you could change it to 55000 if you had already done the router part). Heads up in case it’s helpful.

As for taking updates. I’m hosting on a little windows server so it might be that, but nearly every update results in me having to reboot. This time I thought I got away with it but it just took a bit longer before I couldn’t find the core. Part of the groove now.

Updated to Roon 2 this morning.
Core on Synology NAS
Control on iPhone, iPad and a 2014 iMac (i.e. officially obsolete)

Nothing seems to have changed from the user interface point of view. Still have to do a forced rescan when I add an album before it appears in the album list.

Nothing seems to have changed from the user interface point of view. Still have to do a forced rescan when I add an album before it appears in the album list.
That’s really strange. I’ve been using Roon for three years now and it’s always picked new stuff up, pretty much instantly.

Mick

I've been using Roon for a couple of years and like it a lot. What isn't clear to me is what does Roon 2.0 give me that 1.8 doesn't?

ARC

ARC has no interest for me.

Oh

I’m sure many are very happy to have ARC. I listen to music a lot outside of my home network, so this is great for me.

That’s really strange. I’ve been using Roon for three years now and it’s always picked new stuff up, pretty much instantly.

Mick
Used to be as you describe...
Maybe the core needs more space on the 83% full 4Tb (actually only about 3.5Tb) SSD to function properly... the problem manifested a couple of weeks after the NAS emitted a 75% full alert.

I keep on buying music - six CD res albums this morning alone :)

So... Roon 2.0 is not been a smooth thing for me. In fact I am a little bit cross.

My system came up and said updates availble.. so as usual I agreed.
Laptop used as Control updated. Core is on an old Mac Mini and the the update would not run on that. IF ONLY ROON WOULD HAVE CHECKED THE CORE FOR SUITABILITY BEFORE UPDATING THE PC I WOULD BE HAPPIER.

So I ended up with a screen saying my control (Win laptop) was not longer compatible with the core. OK - so lets go back - only that was not easy. Iw as not a allowed to go back on the laptop to the 'old' control version... that would have talked easily to the still functioning Core. No.. I was 'told' that the only option was to install a remote legacy version on the laptop. So I did - and now that will still not talk to the Core. GRHHHHHHH!!!

So the only option was to reload the Mac Mini with a new legacy Core. Which (I am not overly familiar with Mac control) took ages. Advised to stop the core running - which I did, but because it is set to auto-run it just restarted again immediately. So the new Core Legacy could not be installed until I found a way to properly stop the old core and replace it. I got there in the end. But all I wanted to do at 10:30pm last night was play some music.

And then I found that the Roon remote on my phone is no longer talking to the core. So I gotta update that to a legacy version.

And decide whether to replace my Mac Mini with a new device for a Core. Grr! Probably get a cheap win 10 matchbox computer. I am not starting to play with another operating system that relies on having another computer with a card writer to get it going. I don't need the expensive Nucleus solutions either.

So in short - a warning to all.... MAKE SURE YOUR CORE can take 2.0 before you even start to update!

so if the mobile app API is all built and wired up, I'm guessing making the desktop app work outside of your home LAN shouldn't be super super difficult? I'd love to be able to use Roon on my laptop at my (non-home) office.

advertisement

Back