advertisement

Rollei no more

That is a shame, Ian.

I had hoped there would be a future in small, dedicated niche manufacturing. :-(

Joe

Let us hope someone rescues them, but in the present economic climate I wonder if that is likely. What a great shame. I have 2 3.5fs, a 'cord Va & a Classic 35, plus their 6x6/35mm projector. Just had the latter repaired by them, see my thread of a recent date; exemplary service. I also sold recently a SL66E outfit & another 3.5f. What a tragedy, though who bought their recent TLRs I cannot think.

I suspect there will always be people around who can service them.

One of their problems is that the new stuff is so expensive, and the old stuff so reliable and serviceable, that there was almost no reason to buy a new Rollei at all, outside of a small niche pro market. A damned shame, but that's the danger of getting the design right so early on, I guess.

That's a shame.
Maybe I can justify buying a rolleiflex as an investment now, as I have been hankering after one for a while. I thought my Mamiya would scratch the TLR itch, but it didn't.

Anex,

You using a C330 aren't you? I'm trying a Rolleicord as an alternative, and I must say it's much much lighter, but the screen is rubbish by comparison to the C330. I'll also say I think the Mamiya lenses on the TLRs are truly excellent, and are better than the Triotar 3.5 i've got in my Rolleicord. Of course there are much better lenses in the flexes so maybe this is the place to try.

The correct thing is of course to have both TLRs. Or three :)

Cesare

I'll also say I think the Mamiya lenses on the TLRs are truly excellent, and are better than the Triotar 3.5 i've got in my Rolleicord.

Triotar? I thought they were Xenar or Tessar like the Rolleiflex T's and Automats?

They're supposed to be OK at f8 and smaller - the Planars and Xenotars are sharper wider.

That's a shame.
Maybe I can justify buying a rolleiflex as an investment now, as I have been hankering after one for a while. I thought my Mamiya would scratch the TLR itch, but it didn't.

The problem with having a Rollei as an investment is that you're frightened to use it in case it gets dinged or lost/pinched. The ones that fair best are always the one that live in a every-ready case ... and I hate those! (Or the one that stay in a draw or on a shelf, of course).

It was more to do with me justifying to myself that I can afford to buy one, rather than getting anything back from it.

Cesare: Yes, C330. I do like it, but as you say, it's a bit of a beast. I'd like something a little more subtle, if you know what I mean :) There's a slightly banged up 3.5 for £90 which I might go for next week.

advertisement

Back