advertisement

Rolex Waiting list

rubber

pfm Member
Been told by an AD expect to wait for at least 2 yrs before my Explorer 2 arrives, anyone else in a similar position?

I bought from these people on the recommendation of BLZBUB (remember him?) and they were very good to deal with. Phil Ellison, who still works at their Liverpool shop, certainly knows his stuff.

https://www.miltonaires.com/

Been told by an AD expect to wait for at least 2 yrs before my Explorer 2 arrives, anyone else in a similar position?

If you’re set on a particular new style model, then you’ve some options.

Sit and wait for your name to get to the top of the list. However, befriend a few other ADs and hope that you strike it lucky sooner than two years.

Buy new from a grey dealer. This will have been bought buy a customers whose name has come to the top of an AD’s list, and the customer pocketed some coin by selling it straight to a grey market dealer.

Or buy a good condition used one. Take a look on Chrono24, use the filters, and see what you might pay.

Prices are still rising, and now people are seeing the ladies watches increasing in value. Never happened before, as far as I know.

Good luck!

Or, go abroad on holiday and make a point of visiting Rolex/AD shops in town and at the airports! If no luck then at least you've had a holiday :)

I suspect the marketing people decided it would be cool to have a waiting list. But Kim Kardashian or Bill Gates can get one whenever they like.

It’s the old supply and demand trick. See also ‘limited edition’. Personally I’m too impatient to wait. Two years? Bollocko!

I prefer to buy vintage classic watches from prestige brands like Omega and Longines. Sensible prices and elegant items on the wrist. Not oversized boat anchors as worn by your local plumber / dodgy geezer down the pub.

rubber old chap. If that's you real dream, then wait you must. Or hope for decent used one.
I've had two...my grandads old AirKing and an Explorer MK1. Both were lovely, and I'd like both back, however. There are better watches. better made, more accurate, nicer looking, less trendy (I do hate to be part of a crowd) and most of those are not in the midst of a shortage driven by some loony craze for a make and symbol that few of the would be owners understand.

It's like any crowd. people just join to see what's happening. After all, if lot's of people are there it must be interesting right?
er. NO.

It's an old market traders ploy and we should be betterer than that shouldn't we:)

And, I'd never, ever pay a premium for something that's in short supply because the ignorant are clamouring for it.
Three makes that are as lovely Rolex and available, and available for less.
Breguet: Better made, better movement; more heritage, less common.
IWC: Equal quality (at the top of the range), more unique design, far less 'USA diamond and gold bling' ish and a great heritage.
Omega: despite the 007 connections, have avoided the Rolex frenzy. Just the same quality of manufacture, very good heritage.

I also prefer Blancpain and Grand Seiko, but I'm edging too far out on this limb I think.

Or, go abroad on holiday and make a point of visiting Rolex/AD shops in town and at the airports! If no luck then at least you've had a holiday :)
Wrong, I’m afraid. It’s a worldwide thing. It doesn’t matter where you go, you’ll only find one on sale if you’re extreeeeeeemely lucky with your timing.

I bought my used Daytona from Milton’s in Chester in 2013, and already they weren’t available in ADs. My timing was fortunate as I paid just under list for a one year old SS Daytona. On Chrono24 it’s about three times that now.

Wrong, I’m afraid. It’s a worldwide thing. It doesn’t matter where you go, you’ll only find one on sale if you’re extreeeeeeemely lucky with your timing.

I bought my used Daytona from Milton’s in Chester in 2013, and already they weren’t available in ADs. My timing was fortunate as I paid just under list for a one year old SS Daytona. On Chrono24 it’s about three times that now.

Oh yeah, it's still a roll of the dice for sure as to whether you'd find one abroad in town or at an airport, but you never know when lady luck is gonna roll your way. My Explorer had only been in the AD at Dubai Airport for an hour at the most before my mate walked in and bought it on my behalf - they hadn't even removed it from the transit packaging, that's how little time it was in the shop before my mate popped in on the off chance to see what they had. As you say, timing is everything!

I just love the slagging that Rolex, their ADs, and of course their customers all receive.

It reminds me of the slagging off that iPhone buyers receive from buyers of Samsung etc. Yeah, cos Samsung buyers have discovered something magical that iPhone buyers aren’t aware of. AP and PP buyers rest in a better place in heaven, and Grand Seiko buyers never feel smug around Timex owners.

Hifi, watches, flash cars, gold lamé posing pouches. All unnecessary, really, but we all feel able to get nasty about people wanting something different to our choices.

It's not slagging, it's an understanding of actual engineering and a level headed approach to marketing ploys which
of course
Rolex owners (which I was twice, so have some proper perspective)
will be reluctant to see.

I also own for an equal perspective, IWC, Blancpain, Breguet, and Seiko ( tho not Grand).
Yet.
:)

They all rely on marketing. There’s not a single luxury watch that’s priced at “cost of materials plus labour and a sensible mark up for a bit of profit”, is there?

And when someone just likes the look of a particular watch, just go with it. I certainly didn’t plan to buy a Daytona, but once I saw one on my wrist, that was that. Life’s too short to check out every single luxury watch ever made, after all.

advertisement

Back