advertisement

Roksan Blak CD Player

wezzywest

pfm Member
I am wondering what people think of the latest Rocksan Blak CD player. Any input welcome.
Thanks.

PLEASE DELETE.

I think it’s probably the best player currently available at its price point, based on those I’ve heard.

Edit: the other one worth considering in that ball park is the ATC. AstinTrew is great, too, but perhaps on the rung below, reflected in the price IIRC

Never heard the Blak CD player, but my Rocksan Caspian M2 CD player is excellent and to my ears far better than the Naim CD5X it replaced. So, if the Blak is better, which I think it should be, then it must be very good!

Never heard the Blak CD player, but my Rocksan Caspian M2 CD player is excellent and to my ears far better than the Naim CD5X it replaced. So, if the Blak is better, which I think it should be, then it must be very good!

I agree. Got my Caspian about a year ago and am very pleased indeed with the SQ - knocks spots off the Cyrus I replaced. Only downside for me is you can't access tracks directly from the remote, have to scroll through them.

Interesting. I’ve an ageing CDX2 and was considering replacements. How do Roksan players in general compare to Naim players?

I have a low end roksan cd player..piece of crap and I have a old mission pcm7000 which was the forerunner of the cyrus range of cd players..the mission is amazing considering its age..and my cyrus xt se is fantastic...just saying

So your answer is irrelevant, but thank you for just saying.
It's not the least bit irrelevant, point I was making is cyrus have never made a duff cd player..but roksan have..and if I were going to buy a cd player? This knowledge would give me some pause for thought? I own both a roksan and a cyrus..the roksan is very heavy and looks good..the cd tray is very smooth..but the roksan has problems reading the disc..the first minute of any cd..it just stutters through it..then there is the sound? Going through my roksan amp it's ok..using my dynaudio 42s..then I put it through my main kit.quad 909 and AE1mk3 speakers and using my flash cables..it sounded like a cheap sony! Now my old mission pcm 7000 sounds very good in my main kit..and my cyrus xt se is just fab in my main kit..of course all this is irrelevant..so please ignore me..as I clearly know nothing...all the best

It's not the least bit irrelevant, point I was making is cyrus have never made a duff cd player..but roksan have..and if I were going to buy a cd player? This knowledge would give me some pause for thought? I own both a roksan and a cyrus..the roksan is very heavy and looks good..the cd tray is very smooth..but the roksan has problems reading the disc..the first minute of any cd..it just stutters through it..then there is the sound? Going through my roksan amp it's ok..using my dynaudio 42s..then I put it through my main kit.quad 909 and AE1mk3 speakers and using my flash cables..it sounded like a cheap sony! Now my old mission pcm 7000 sounds very good in my main kit..and my cyrus xt se is just fab in my main kit..of course all this is irrelevant..so please ignore me..as I clearly know nothing...all the best
Suggest you read up on Cyrus CD transport reliability, they are infamous for a history of issues, no axe to grind, I own 8 Cyrus components.

‘Tis a funny old hobby, I found that the early Meridian and Mission CD players sounded awful compared to a TT, had to wait for a chunky Sony ES before going for a CD spinner, 20 20 hindsight I wish I’d stuck to LP :)

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/cyrus-cd-transport-dacs.194242/

@Big Tabs I’ve not heard the Blak sorry, the Caspian I rated highly with the matching amp and Ruark floorstanders. Do Richer or Sevenoaks do sale/return demos?

Suggest you read up on Cyrus CD transport reliability, they are infamous for a history of issues, no axe to grind, I own 8 Cyrus components.

‘Tis a funny old hobby, I found that the early Meridian and Mission CD players sounded awful compared to a TT, had to wait for a chunky Sony ES before going for a CD spinner, 20 20 hindsight I wish I’d stuck to LP :)

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/cyrus-cd-transport-dacs.194242/

@Big Tabs I’ve not heard the Blak sorry, the Caspian I rated highly with the matching amp and Ruark floorstanders. Do Richer or Sevenoaks do sale/return demos?
yes LP still is the keeper..and probably always will be..as its mysterious and strangely magical..I cant say the same for cds or streaming.. cassettes are quite cool..but the LP still is the coolest, in my opinion..

Another very positive vote for the Roksan Caspian series, the originals were very good and M2 series were superb, aesthetically pleasing to me as well.
Alas, again not heard the Blak and won't any time soon.
Re the very pleased user of Cyrus, if you like it then that's great but I doubt someone looking at the Roksan presentation would.

Another very positive vote for the Roksan Caspian series, the originals were very good and M2 series were superb, aesthetically pleasing to me as well.
Alas, again not heard the Blak and won't any time soon.
Re the very pleased user of Cyrus, if you like it then that's great but I doubt someone looking at the Roksan presentation would.
Probably..odd that i own both? Exception that proves the rule? Or perhaps proves your doubt? I always thought the idea of a good cd player is to present the music as uncoloured as possible? I happen to think the cyrus is a lot closer to this than a roksan is..hence your remark about roksans presentation just bolsters my opinion..not that it needed bolstering..its not a requirement..lol

Yes, I suspect the set of people who rate Cyrus and the set of people who rate Roksan doesn't intersect very much.
I rate the cyrus as a cd player..I havent heard any of their other bits of kit..my roksan amp is ok..my apart champ 2 amp is better..if it's a competition? And the prize is better sound? Then my cyrus cd player would be amongst the medals..my roksan cd player is still competing..

Well thank you for putting the effort in.

What you have given now is a bit of insight, rather than “It’s a piece of crap...”

It would be enough more useful to know what Roksan “low end” cd player you are referring to?

advertisement

Back