advertisement

Rogers LS5 speakers.

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
Do any PFM members know this model ?
I came across a pair on eBay and I’m rather intrigued with them.
There were so many Rogers ‘LS’ models it’s difficult to remember them all...

Martyn - I reviewed the LS1, 5 and 7 range when they were new in the Jan 1983 edition of Practical Hi-fi. You're welcome to a copy if you'd PM me.

In brief the LS5 was shelf/stand mount 22.5 x 46 x 21 (WxHxD) cabinet with a Chartwell derived polyprop 140mm mid/bass and a Celestion T1001 tweeter.
DGP

Good speakers. The Rogers version of the Chartwell PM110 so any info on the latter should translate across.

Martyn - I reviewed the LS1, 5 and 7 range when they were new in the Jan 1983 edition of Practical Hi-fi. You're welcome to a copy if you'd PM me.

In brief the LS5 was shelf/stand mount 22.5 x 46 x 21 (WxHxD) cabinet with a Chartwell derived polyprop 140mm mid/bass and a Celestion T1001 tweeter.
DGP

I was, by chance, reading a review of a Hafler pre and power amp you built from kit in an old "New Hi Fi Sound" magazine.... those were the days:)

I've liked pretty much all the Rogers speakers I've owned, though not tried the ls5 (yet).

I was, by chance, reading a review of a Hafler pre and power amp you built from kit in an old "New Hi Fi Sound" magazine.... those were the days:)
I thoroughly enjoyed building the Hafler and went to town to dress the cables and make everything as tidy as possible for magazine photography (well, personal price actually!) Really enjoyed the sound of the power amp too. Sadly both were stolen from my lock-up back in the late 1980s along with a bunch or irreplacable hi-fi kit (Nakamichi Dragon lab sample, active Proton kitchen radio speaker to name two sadly missed items). Not enough points for the police to investigate.

I did get to spend some time with David Hafler on the back of the amplifier feature - what a gentleman. Those indeed were the days!
DGP

I very much like my rogers export monitors, prefered to my ls3/5a and also like them better than the Harbeth p3esr which i had for a while

Leak Sandwich is another 'hidden gem' speaker, as is my Leak 3090 set! But, given the size of the 3090s -and the original price! - that's less of a surprise.

I enjoyed my original Leak Sandwich speakers. I bought them from a car boot sale (this was ~20 years ago) and used them with some old Pioneer amp, sounded great - big and fun. Tried them with a Naim Nait someone was offering to sell me.....ouch!

I had a set of original Leak Sandwiches (15 ohm) - still have,bought circa 1970 2nd hand....I was demonstrating my Klipschorns to a friend, but had forgotten I'd left the Sandwiches wired up instead. We didn't notice for a few minutes.
I guess that makes Klipschorns awful as well?
Agree re 3090s; was just enjoying Wally Badarou on them.

I had a set of original Leak Sandwiches (15 ohm) - still have,bought circa 1970 2nd hand....I was demonstrating my Klipschorns to a friend, but had forgotten I'd left the Sandwiches wired up instead. We didn't notice for a few minutes.
I guess that makes Klipschorns awful as well?
Agree re 3090s; was just enjoying Wally Badarou on them.

In my opinion yes Klipschorns are awful.

I've heard lots of Leak Sandwich speakers, 8 and 15 Ohm, and often driven by Leak amplifiers as a friend of mine is a Leak collector. Even he thinks they're awful and has now got rid of all but 1 pair....

They are harsh, shouty and have very little bass, even though they are a large floorstander with a 13" woofer!

advertisement

Back