advertisement

Roe vs Wade overturned

I don't think anyone who believes that abortion should be legal views abortion as a desirable thing. In an ideal world there would be no unwanted pregnancies and no need for abortion. Unwanted pregnancies arise for a number of reasons so the decision should simply be about whether it's better for the woman to have a legal right to choose and access to safe medical care. Making abortion illegal will result in
  • deaths and severe injuries to women seeking abortions outside of the medical system.
  • increased poverty for both mothers and children. This will affect existing children that the mother already has.

Indeed. It is problematic at best. I'm glad I've never had to make that decision.

But my view is that if a woman wants the thing growing in her uterus gone, it is within her rights to have it removed.

In a sensible world I'd be fine with time limits, but it's been proven that once any threshold is set, the right will will keep pushing to lower it. And as much as the right love to whine about the horrors of late term abortion, there have never been more than one or two doctors in the USA, at any given time, willing to do late term abortions for birth control purposes. It's just not "a thing", and never has been.

Totally agree Tony, it's ironic that a country so hung up on individual rights and freedoms moves in this direction, the logic is absolutely the opposite the supreme court used to relax gun laws.

The way things are going in the Supreme Court...

I imagine their next ruling will be that foetuses have the right to carry guns? o_O

Will create a whole new market in very tiny firearms.

Absolutely Ragaman, my best friend is very much opposed to abortion and I respect his view, but disagree, he’s quite progressive with regards to equal rights for minorities. Trouble is I don’t think that the USA right are Minority rights supporters.

They are, but only when they're the minority in question...

This decision is a victory for the power, money, and influence of the fundamentalist Christian Right in the US.

Morals don’t come into it, this is about big money and the ability to mobilise that money to gain political influence

The red-marked countries are where all the sensible people, who take full responsibility for their own actions, live. They are happy there, and free to follow the church of their choice...er...probably.
Maybe if we tell people in the US that both Iran and North Korea are red on that map as far as I can see, then they will reconsider?

I read a book called Cider House Rules a very long time ago.

it has stayed with me for a very long time.

Emotionally I don’t think I could colour how I feel about this in any better than that does. I hope others have read it and know what I mean.

It is deeply pro abortion in the most nuanced way.

Separately: rationally and for consistency, what defines life vs potential life anyway? The Supreme Court hasn’t banned contraception yet.

less nuanced, I know.

this is all f*cked up, I’d say. Because this one *IS* binary.

people say everyone’s entitled to an opinion and you have to respect etc. I don’t think so here.

ethics as objective but also relative.

The red-marked countries are where all the sensible people, who take full responsibility for their own actions, live. They are happy there, and free to follow the church of their choice...er...probably.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-where-abortion-is-illegal

That chart is wrong. The UK has free access to abortion up to 24 weeks with no questions asked, whilst france has more restrictive rights, up to 14 weeks if I remember, and only if a physician recommends that the pregnancy will lead to serious injury to the woman (physical or mental). France is marked as no restriction, the UK is marked as some weird 'socioeconomic grounds bullshit'.

The results start coming:

Rutledge said the Supreme Court decision puts Arkansas' anti-abortion laws in place and allows the state to ban abortions — with the only exception being to save the life of a mother in a medical emergency.

So a rape victim has to carry the pregnancy... I hope that satisfies the religious right.

advertisement

Back